Miscellaneous Ethernet Issue
    Has nothing to do with Affiliate Marketing except that it's an affiliate marketer who's tearing his hair out over this one...

Is it possible to network one PC using an Ethernet cable and another PC by connecting a crossover Ethernet cable to the first PC? My hub is a long ways away from my PCs and passing the first Ethernet cable was a nightmare. I'd like to avoid having to pass a second one if possible...

Thanks for any help!
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you can use a cross-over cable instead of a hub.

What are the Operating systems of the Computers? If they are WIn2k or XP you will need to have identical user accounts on both computers. Additionally they should be in the same Workgroup.

Thanks,
    Doug

Shoot, it won't be possible for now anyway though. The cable is taking up the ethernet port of the PC it's currently connected to right now, so it would be physically impossible to do unless I get another NIC card.... thanks for the replies anyways.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

You could always set up another hub where your nearest networked computer is, then hook that existing cable to the new hub and run new cables to the two computers. It's not as elegant as having everything hooked up to a single hub, but it works.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Are you trying to share your internet with another computer?

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Shoot, it won't be possible for now anyway though. The cable is taking up the ethernet port of the PC it's currently connected to right now, so it would be physically impossible to do unless I get another NIC card.... thanks for the replies anyways.

Building on what Michael said - you might want to get a 'switch' rather than a 'hub' - they are down in price to less than $20 some places and they are much faster than a hub so there would be no speed loss - not much noticable with a hub either. You would hook your outgoing cable to one port and the two computers to two other ports - usually the smallest switch is 5 port so you could run four computers of that switch. I don't see any change in speed to the Internet but I do enjoy the faster transfer between the computers.

Charles

Using a single computer with two nic's to share internet is a nightmare. If you want to keep your hair, run another line.
    -Sid

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread