Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Received a response from CJ about LMI and databases drivens sites.
    I sent them an email with my concerns and received a pdf document called "compatible_link_specifications.pdf"

Has anyone else received this?

I also says the information contained in the pdf is CJ proprietary & confidential data, so I guess I can't post any of their suggestions here.

I have questions for them regarding their suggestions though, which I sent to them. Now I wait and see what their response is again. Hope it doesn't take 2 weeks + this time.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I got it, too. It looks basically like Scott Jangro's suggestion for redirects. I don't see what's so confidential about it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Was it an email sent to all affilaites who use datafeeds or was it just something AAQ sent only to those that asked. I did not receive anything and am a big CJ datafeed user, so I am curious.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I had written them outlining my complaints about LMI.

It was what I received in response.

It is basically the same thing as Jangro suggested.

Wouldn't you have to make an individual page for every single link you want to create though? That is a PITA, let alone unreasonable to expect anyone to do. Especially if they have hundreds of merchants they deal with. That can translate into thousands and thousands of links.
    ~Michelle

I really hope CJ doesn't require a complete system rewrite in order to continue using their datafeeds. That would be a horrible move on their part as many webmasters don't have the know-how or development resources to accomplish such a task. I'm also concerned about the size increase of the datafeeds. If my datafeeds are 200-300 megs unzipped they could easily jump to 400-500 megs by adding Javascript to each row of data. Considering CJ's recent history with datafeed instability it would be asinine to increase the size of their feeds now.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I received a response to some of my questions. Here is part of what was said in the email response regarding datafeed sites:

You would use an internal redirect page, and pass in the AID:

a href=http://yoursite.com/redir.php?AID=1234567

Then that redir.php page captures the AID and creates the POST form dynamically as outlined in that document.

So the redirect page is dynamic – there’s only one redir page, but it can use any advertiser as long as you know the AID and (optionally) the URL if you are bypassing the stored URL for that AID, assuming the link allows redirection. Most pubs would have something like a SQL database that contains the AID numbers, destination URLs, SID, etc.
    That said, I am basically screwed because my biggest site is not database driven. I use a link masker on my links that is cgi based. The only way I could do this is create an html page that passes the pid & aid on through and reloads up the merchant page, BUT I would have to create a page for every single link that I want to use. CJ's response to this problem - "recommend using a method that does allow you to change the AID on the fly. That's the same method many database-driven pubs (like coupon or catalog-based sites) have been using for years".

Ok great... are they gonna pay someone to set that up for me & customize it for my site? Don't think so. *LOL*

Maybe I should go ahead and do it, and then send them a bill. Bwaaahaaahaaa
    ~Michelle

Interesting, so they'll allow us to generate the form on the fly. I didn't think this would be allowed because they'd be giving us control over the form generation. If this is the case there won't be any javascript involved, but it does require us to program a special case for CJ merchants. They're certainly overcomplicating the datafeed process. Webmasters who don't use redirection will have just as much trouble adapting to this as those of us who do.

Webmasters who place the links directly into their HTML will either need to generate the Javascript code on their own in their template, or CJ will include the entire Javascript snippet in their datafeeds. The latter is a terrible solution because the size of the datafeeds will be unnecessarily increased.

So my understanding so far is that webmasters who use redirection don't have to use Javascript, but webmasters who don't use redirection need to use Javascript. And no matter what we both need to post to forms.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Interesting, so they'll allow us to generate the form on the fly. I didn't think this would be allowed because they'd be giving us control over the form generation. If this is the case there won't be any javascript involved, but it does require us to program a special case for CJ merchants. They're certainly overcomplicating the datafeed process. Webmasters who don't use redirection will have just as much trouble adapting to this as those of us who do.

- Scott
    No, there is still javascript involved.

Check you PM's.
    ~Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    No, there is still javascript involved.

Check you PM's.
    Yes, it's still involved but not necessarily to generate the form, just to submit it.

- Scott

If possible, and if it's not too much trouble, would someone mind PM'ing me a copy of that PDF? I'm very curious as to the details. Thanks!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

My account manager told me about it and requested a copy be sent to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I got it and looked it over. For my site, I could make the change in a few hours, but I'm not ready to make the switch until I'm comfortable that it's actually tracking stuff correctly.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread