Placement of text links
    I got reading this thread...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75279

Pretty much knew this one but it made me think...

Where is the most optimal placement, on a page of content, to place an aff. link? I know above the fold is prime but where in the content? In between two paragraphs? Inside of one paragraph with a border wrapped around it? Twice, once at the top and once at the bottom? Create a new <div> to run parallell to the content <div>?

Taking an uneducated guess I am thinking it would be above the fold in between two paragraphs after you have the surfers attention prior to their focus waning.

Take care,

Brian

Guess I asked a gaurded question?

Oh well.

Take care,

Brian

Brian,

"In between two paragraphs" is okay, but as a surfer/reader I would much rather prefer links within the content itself [read: words/phrases in the text linked via affiliate URL to relevant merchant pages] to those between the paragraphs.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I agree w/ Geno.

Links embedded w/in the content get my thumbs up.

Depends though. Depends what you're marketing, and to whom... there are other factors. But, when it comes to content, I think it makes more sense to embed the links within it rather than to point to a merchant related to the content, separately.

Cheers,

Good question Thanks for asking the question and thanks Geno for answering it

hmmmm since I'm on dial-up I pop back and forth here from other windows I'm using most of the time. You may think I'm here.....but I'm not really lol I've ususally got 10 or so windows open all at once and keep jumping back and forth. lol by the time I usually finish my post somebody new has been added to the previous post. lol Liz....you weren't here when I started but was when I finished. lol So you don't think I was ignoring your opinion Thank you very much for yours, too Off I go again lol Hope nobody else has appeared magically again.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Talking
    Actually we just had a whole long discussion with HardwareGeek the other day about something similar... let me see if I can find that thread and point you to it. Sorry I can't find it (just looked) - perhaps HardwareGeek himself can make it in here and point us to it - or someone else for that matter.

PurpleBear - no worries girl - I know you wouldn't forget me.

All the best, everyone!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It depends on the time and effort you are going to put in there? It takes times to drop links in a paragraph. So if you have the time to do it, that is the best option as what Geno and e-Gazer said.

Other than that, a fast and best way is on the first fold after the content if you want the cheap and fast production way.

It also depends on what the text is like.

Like my product of vacation, if the text from Linkshare is "3 Day / 2 Night Orlando Vacation for $129", then ideally, it would be under the content that about Orlando as it would not fit into the paragraphy

I almost always have my text links at the end of the paragraph. Giving the user a choice either to click or look at the next paragraph. I do this as it is the way I do it when I surf. I never continue on for some reason. If your paragraph is descriptive enough and solves the readers problem your "call to action" text link at the end of an informative paragraph is gold.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Thank you for the replies .

It does make sense to take the time to build the link into the content, I had not looked at it in that light. I am thinking also a second link at the bottom of the content might also re-enforce the click through, possibly.

Thank you again for the well thought out replies, I appreciate it.

Take care,

Brian

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    it does work when building links into content but it is time consuming unless you have a system that is able to do that easily.

Content matching.

Sites like anandtech.com, toyotanation.com do it easily.

Each site/page/link is different. Test, Test, Test.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread