Unhappy How long does it take to make the first sale?
    Hi,

I'm new to marketing, affiliate marketing and anything that has to do with marketing/selling stuff.

I've done a lot of hard work so far on my new site, but no sale yet :-(

Ive followed all the rules, instructions and all the good advice, but nothing's happening so far. I would attribute it to the fact that my site is brand new, only about say 3 months old since I seriously started working on it.

I feel like I'm working for free, for nothing, literally. Could anyone tell me how long it typically takes to make the first sale, atleast it will keep me hoping that one day it will happen :-)

Thanks

Thumbs up
    Depends on a lot of things. If your traffic is low say <10 a day, you might have to wait months & months.

Early on its important to build your site, get some incoming links, then the traffic and sales should eventually follow.

Thanks. I think i'll probably wait for another 3 months. There are so many hurdles already like,

- people who are tech savvy, who use ad block, or disable javascript, they know it when they are on an affiliate site, especially when they see the kjxwy.com or an affiliatenetwork.com. they dont click on links on an affiliate site , (which doesnt use url redirects) and they discourage affiliate sites, especially in the human edited directories.

- parasiteware and spyware that steal your commission

- spam

I'm probably too late in joining the aff marketing bandwagon

One thing I know though that keeps me posetive is that this world is huge, if there are 10,000 geeks, then there are 300,000 non-geeks who wouldn't look at affiliate mareting like its something bad.

I've read alot about the benefits of redirecting pages, but my pages which are doing the most increase in sales right now are hand-rolled w/ no redirect, so I think I'll leave as is.

Conversly, a consumer might see the destination-bar of his browser flashing like crazy with redirects and think wtf? The main benefit of re-directing is for tracking clicks, IMO.

The other problems you list, affect everybody, newbie or oldbee...

does it help to mask , the aff network urls ( kwekjk.com or affnetwork.com) , in the status bar?

i think some people might freak out if they see a kwekjk.com in the status bar , instead of merchantname.com .

also displaying merchantname.com in the status bar is actually useful to the visitor because , it shows them where the link is taking them. seeing kwekjk.com all the time won't help them know where they are actually being linked to.

the masking is however only possible with javascript i think , if they disable js, the status bar url becomes unmasked.

and with cj enforcing js links, it makes sense to show a "enable javascript" to see this site message.

Re: CJ: I'm no pro at masking links, but I've read nothing on this forum to suggest 'encrypt link' or 'hide tracking code in link' is a positive. Sure you might lose a few?? but...

I think what your links look like is small concern compared to your targeted traffic.

Traffic is the key.
    Last edited by simcat; July 7th, 2006 at 07:46 AM.

does it make sense to advertise your site to bring in traffic, like in context ads by g? i havent tried advertising with g, dont know how much it might cost or if it's worth the cost.

Is this worth all this effort? i expect to make atleast 1k/mo. for the amount of work im putting in. given that there's the right amount of quality visits.

Talking
    Yeah, I would say advertise.
    1 Google adwords ppc
    2 Yahoo ppc
    3 MSN ppc
    4 Google contextual (probably not worth it)
    5 All other ppc (definately not worth it)

be VERY CAREFUL and approach with caution! JMO

k, thanks a lot for the tips.

i'm a developer, i think im focusing too much on user experience and not on marketing... time for me to make a mental switch.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Wink
    I think you're asking all the right questions actually. User experience is just as important as marketing - they are not seperate entities but one and the same. In order to market effectively you have to constantly be thinking on how to optimize that user experience.

But you're right... focus on building your traffic sources too... that's where the sales happen. When the traffic starts coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    does it make sense to advertise your site to bring in traffic, like in context ads by g? i havent tried advertising with g, dont know how much it might cost or if it's worth the cost.

Is this worth all this effort? i expect to make atleast 1k/mo. for the amount of work im putting in. given that there's the right amount of quality visits.

Yes, yes!

You won't see much action, if any, with new sites that are dependent on natural search results. Those that are capable of doing so already have a network of established sites.

If you want immediate gratification, go PPC. Start with Google Adwords first, as it's the one to master, then branch out to others like MSN, and Yahoo (making sure to stay away from the small Mom & Pop outfits).

The good thing about this route, is you'll be making money via PPC, but you can be configuring your site to receive regular SE results in the future. Once those start to come in, you can then decide to continue PPC or quit it altogether.

PPC has proven pretty valuable to me so far - given that you choose the right programs.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

edit: by the way, there's a wonderful book that can help you get a jumpstart with Adwords, and PPC in general. It is called: Winning Results with Google AdWords by Andrew Goodman. I recommend this book often, as it's packed with info. You can find it in major bookstores and online. Invest in it if you get an opportunity.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    PPC has proven pretty valuable to me so far - given that you choose the right programs.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
    And the right keywords..... get yourself a subscription to wordtracker. master the KEI and you master the PPC game ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Thank you. I will definitely consider advertising it through ppc, once i weigh cost vs. profits.

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    Thank you. I will definitely consider advertising it through ppc, once i weigh cost vs. profits.
    Do a cost/benefit analysis.

You might want to work at really improving and polishing up your site before you do PPC
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

hmm, good idea. there's a lot of work yet to be done on it. so i wont spend any on advertising, until, its complete.

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    Here are a few more low or no cost ways to increase traffic:

Find affiliates who have products that enhance your own. Like travel and luggage, or jewelry and flowers etc. Approach them to swap links, banners and even traffic.

This will not only (potentially) increase your traffic, but can also increase your natural search standings, but the later will take a bit longer.

You can also offset your expenses to sell a bit of advertising yourself. If you are too new or busy, you can approach a company like 247 real media, advertising.com, but i prefer Wrightmedia for better prices for smaller sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Do something nobody else has done before, then tell the world about it. You will have plenty of traffic, many browsing, some shoppers, a few buying.

The end result is sales.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread