A day in the life
    All in one day (yesterday, July 6, 2006)...

1. Realize that our 50% drop in traffic and 80-90% drop in revenue since June 28, 2006, isn't due to our potential visitors being away from the computer for a summer vacation or fireworks but is due to a nasty (to us) change in Google on June 27. Spend the vast majority of the remaining day learning more about Google than I care to with eyes glued to SERPs from various data centers.

2. One of our sites that's still with a hosting company goes down because the host decides that's it's putting an undue strain on their server (I wish it was a traffic/bandwidth strain). They take the site down without letting me know. I find out. Submit a support ticket. Site goes back up but CMS is non-functional because someone working for the hosting company has changed file permissions without telling me. Change file permissions back to useable. Few hours later, permissions changed again without notice.

3. Paypal decides that I since I have received a certain number of Euros in my account I have to submit documentation via FAX verifying my identity in order to comply with European Union anti-money-laundering laws. Is this legit or another phishing ruse (receive those daily)? Have to call Paypal.

4. CJ tells me that my account email address is invalid. Well, that address is from our dedicated server so is my mail server down or messed up? Or is it CJ, again?

5. Receive an email advising me that some of our URL names violate an advertiser's agreement by using the advertiser's copyrighted name in the URL before the third "/". A few emails later get an apology from CJ's compliance people. That's right, only took a couple of hours. You know how amazing that is.

6. Working with WebMerge. Love the program, but it has its limitations, especially with creating links to higher level files without using a WM Include. This "little glitch" of course puts the whole project on hold for a day or two while a workaround is reached.

7. My bank informs me that they can no longer give me instant credit when I deposit my CJ Travelex check. Travelex - come on - I convinced the bank months ago that Travelex checks are as good as cash. The bank manager I convinced has left for another bank and the new manager is clueless and says bank policy requires a hold on all "foreign" checks. Be careful if you travel to Europe with Travelex checks.

8. Our baby is teething and not a happy camper. Of course, I work at home.

There's more, but you get the picture. Tell me we're not wild west pioneers where life is subject to change without notice.
    Last edited by Proverb; July 7th, 2006 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling (I have anal moments)

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverb
    All in one day (yesterday, July 6, 2006)...

1. Realize that our 50% drop in traffic and 80-90% drop in revenue since June 28, 2006, isn't due to our potential visitors being away from the computer for a summer vacation or fireworks but is do to a nasty (to us) change in Google on June 27. Spend the vast majority of the remaining day learning more about Google than I care to with eyes glued to SERPs from various data centers.

2. One of our sites that's still with a hosting company goes down because the host decides that's it's putting an undue strain on their server (I wish it was a traffic/bandwidth strain). They take the site down without letting me know. I find out. Submit a support ticket. Site goes back up but CMS is non-functional because someone working for the hosting company has changed file permissions without telling me. Change file permissions back to useable. Few hours later, permissions changed again without notice.

3. Paypal decides that I since I have received a certain number of Euros in my account I have to submit documentation via FAX verifying my identity in order to comply with European Union anti-money-laundering laws. Is this legit or another phishing ruse (receive those daily)? Have to call Paypal.

4. CJ tells me that my account email address is invalid. Well, that address is from our dedicated server so is my mail server down or messed up? Or is it CJ, again?

5. Receive an email advising me that some of our URL names violate an advertiser's agreement by using the advertiser's copyrighted name in the URL before the third "/". A few emails later get an apology from CJ's compliance people. That's right, only took a couple of hours. You know how amazing that is.

6. Working with WebMerge. Love the program, but it has its limitations, especially with creating links to higher level files without using a WM Include. This "little glitch" of course puts the whole project on hold for a day or two while a workaround is reached.

7. My bank informs me that they can no longer give me instant credit when I deposit my CJ Travelex check. Travelex - come on - I convinced the bank months ago that Travelex checks are as good as cash. The bank manager I convinced has left for another bank and the new manager is clueless and says bank policy requires a hold on all "foreign" checks. Be careful if you travel to Europe with Travelex checks.

8. Our baby is teething and not a happy camper. Of course, I work at home.

There's more, but you get the picture. Tell me we're not wild west pioneers where life is subject to change without notice.
    I nominate this as one of the best posts for 2006 ... it really sums up a typical day in the life of affiliate marketers...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Yup... When it rains it pours...

I had a very similar day to this yesterday. Issues in all 3 of my businesses. Issues that seemed serious until I slept on them, and in the morning - half of them disappeared (because the right people finally did what was right), while the other half was resolved due to new morning ideas... Hang on there!! There's always light in the end of the proverbial tunnel!

BTW, how old is the baby?! [asking this because - regardless of the teeth - it is actually your best part of the day/life]

Geno

Now THAT sounds like fun!

I feel for you (and Geno for that matter). I hope your days straighten out a little better than it is now..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    BTW, how old is the baby?! [asking this because - regardless of the teeth - it is actually your best part of the day/life]
    Thanks for asking. My pride and joy turned 1 a little over a week ago. Her teeth have been a slow ordeal. Wouldn't trade being a stay-at-home dad for anything.

Apart from the Googlegeddon, yesterday was fairly typical. Easy money, right?

Thanks for asking. My pride and joy turned 1 a little over a week ago. Her teeth have been a slow ordeal. Wouldn't trade being a stay-at-home dad for anything.
    I hear you. What's her name? Post her picture in the Photo Gallery! Nurofen has a solution for teething. Powerful and effective. Tried and proven.

There is no "easy money" per se in any business. The money only becomes "easy" when you totally love what you're doing and remuneration is somewhat marginal...

Geno

How could a proud father pass on a Photo Gallery op? Will do.

Yes, "easy money" was tongue in cheek. My relatives-in-law here in Portugal think what I do for what I make is either magic or witchcraft, but definitely easy money. I'm sure a lot of AMs get a similar response from those who work analog.

My relatives-in-law here in Portugal think what I do for what I make is either magic or witchcraft...

Geno -

Posted three pics of my angel - link - and am spending quality time cruising through the forum Photo Gallery. The photos from that baby photo competition have greatly eased the stress from Googlegeddon. Thanks.

She's gorgeous!!

...The photos from that baby photo competition have greatly eased the stress from Googlegeddon. Thanks.
    It's the job I've never gotten - counseling. Business sucked me in...

You're more than welcome.

G.

I'm thinking of having real children, but I feel like I already have kids (my websites) giving me strain and joy as they grow.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    I'm thinking of having real children, but I feel like I already have kids (my websites) giving me strain and joy as they grow.
    Once you get the real ones (human beings), you will realize that one can never compare the two.

Geno

I finally traded mine in - they finished the teens and we all survived (somehow) ... now have cats - great improvement - Phydeau/Rambeau/Sluggeau/Shammy/Velcro/Kattie/Marshmello - grow their own shoes and don't ask for the car

Charles

Sounds like my day everyday almost. Definitely sums it up.

Animal Lover
    O yes definitely sounds familiar - the bub is gorgeous - and I do recall those dribbly drool days where nothing seems to soothe and we go through dozens of bibs daily.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread