Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Tracking is not affected - YEAH RIGHT!
    I received this email from a CJ merchant today. According to this there IS a tracking problem.

Due to some issues CJ has been having with tracking orders over the last two weeks, we have decided to forego using the CJ tracking pixel and have moved to a more foolproof method of recording transactions.

You will notice when you click on one of your promotional links to our site, that the URL string in the address bar contains your PID number and our AID number. As many of you probably know, when you use a properly formatted link from CJ, the link passes to a CJ server and then redirects to the merchant's website. During the redirection through CJ's server, CJ appends the PID and AID to our site's URL. Using these identifiers we upload transactional data to CJ's reporting system every two hours. This system went live July 5th at 10pm PST.

Since we launched the new site we have been recording these values in a separate database. When we found that there was an issue with tracking, we prepared a separate file for all orders for the last four weeks and uploaded it to CJ today (July 6th). Any transactions you may have been missing have now been added and should show up shortly.

We have tested this extensively over the last 10 days and we have had a 100% success rate in catching orders. The easiest way for you to test your links is to click on one of them, if, after you have been directed to our site, you see "PID=xxxx&AIDxxxx" (xxxx being actual values) then your link is formatted correctly and your orders are being tracked successfully.

For those of you who use SID parameters, we are tracking and uploading this value along with the transactional data.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Ben Chafetz
    Affiliate Manager
    4inkjets.com
    ben@4inkjets.com
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can we assume this applies to all CJ merchnats who operate Yahoo stores? http://4inkjets.stores.yahoo.net/
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"Rest assured, tracking is not affected"

They're (CJ) full of BS. I have never fully believed that statement, and with them pushing the LMI changes so hard lately, I believe it even less.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

My sales/clicks have been dead ever since the change. Obviously something is wrong. Now with the homepage being down for most people, this leads to even more credibility issues with cj.

Oh, just wonderful! My biggest CJ merchant is a Yahoo store one and that might explain the drop in sales the last two weeks.

Sure would be nice if CJ let us know what is going on. I hope they know what is going on.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I had a merchant go to some hokey tracking system a couple of years ago, and what had been a steady performer ended up stone dead until they changed it back. So I don't have any trust when merchants decide they have a "better" way of doing it.

issues CJ has been having with tracking orders over the last two weeks,
    Since we launched the new site we have been recording these values in a separate database. When we found that there was an issue with tracking, we prepared a separate file for all orders for the last four weeks
    HMM something's not quite right about this...
    They're claiming they spotted a problem "2 weeks" ago, yet they made a file of values for FOUR weeks.

Sounds to me like they had pre-decided to put in this funny tracking system, and then fished up an excuse to run it.

Funny how their 7-day EPC mysteriously didn't show any major drop until July 4th, despite this "non-tracking..." The upload they claim happened yesterday *could have* fixed a previously-showing earlier EPC drop, but I doubt that was the actual case.

Did you get bombed in transactions posting today?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Without getting into too many details, I can vouche that tracking has been affected in my two CJ programs.

Lets just say we are glad we have had the SAS option on both of them. If you are an affiliate in either one, we strongly encourage you look at the sas option going forward.

We are currently working to resolve the issue with CJ ....
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Andy, thank you for verifying that your programs also had problems.

Now we know it isn't just one merchant.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Yeah, no doubt about that. Hearing it from a merchant (Andy) kind of confirms the sneaking suspicion that something was amiss in CJ land.

I wish one of the merchants I"m working with on CJ would move to SAS. I'm doing well with them (although I'm not doing anything additional to when I left it), but I wonder how much more I could be making - 10% more? 40% more if they were to move and tracking worked as planned?

I spoke to this merchant the other day, and unfortunately they have no plans on moving (but they did offer to increase my payout - whatever consolation that is).
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

ABW Ambassador
    I see Upromise just showed up in the new merchant list. Wouldn't want any tracking problems there.

One of my CJ merchants uses both pixel tracking and internal tracking and sends a full batch file at the end of each month to catch the pixel tracking orders that didn't track. For me with that merchant, it's typically 5-10% of the orders for the month. That's just from everyday pixel tracking problems (and I suspect that other networks using tracking pixels are similar). Sometimes there are other problems, too. The batch catches them though.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; July 7th, 2006 at 01:39 PM.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    They also sent something out over a week ago:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75256

Damn. I really wish others would do the same. I'm thinking I might refer a couple of merchants to this thread, and see if they'd be willing to entertain that idea.

Wow, I didn't realize how bad it potentially is. I have had affiliates every once in a very great while say, I know I got a sale but it didn't show up.

I am going to start the ball rolling for tracking ourselves and compairing. Thanks for the information.
    KK

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet your last dollar Andy Rodriguez is intimately familiar with what can make network sales tracking go haywire. I'd love a dollar for every hour he spent over the years hand posting sales to affiliate accounts while some merchant/network IT employee ducktapes the obvious tracking holes.

Andy from jumpstreet looks like a hawk over conversion/traffic trends and test purchases when things seem fishy. He'd rather ditch a client or change networks before he ever has to walk on eggshells over sales tracking issues. I seem to remember he cringed every time the old BF Tigerdirect links landed on the Yahoo storefront pages.

Yahoo's storefront application goes though many unannounce upgrades. It doesn't allow any easy access to the final checkout page HTML for any networks tracking code script. Having 3 Yahoo storefronts I built for clients, running since the 90's, I can testify any network enabled merchant there can use the built in Yahoo affiliate tracking checkbox as an automatic on/off sales reporting switch. I'll say no more.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I see Upromise just showed up in the new merchant list. Wouldn't want any tracking problems there.
    Upromise ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This seems so backwards. I remember well when "batching" was how merchants sneakily got RID of transactions--not added them in!

Plus, my CJ sales are up...
    (Some merchants may be affected, though. I'll accept any extra added-in sales that come my way!)

Merchants can sneakily get rid of transactions using either technology. The combination of the two technologies offers the best possible tracking.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

We are currently working to resolve the issue with CJ ....
    Why?

Isn't that against one of the "life rules"? ie: "Don't tug on Superman's cape", "Don't spit into the wind", "Never argue with a fool", "Don't try to resolve 'issues' with CJ"................
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Where is Todd when yu need him???

Don't you know tracking can NEVER be affected? LMAO!!!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread