ABW Ambassador
    I had to take my computer to the Computer Intensive Care Unit today at Best Buy. LOL!! It's not funny really. It's been a long day for us both. We just got back and are now about 70% recovered. It will take another 24 hours before we are fully cured.

I don't know what happened. But all of a sudden my computer would not boot up. It kept doing a scandisk in dos. Then it wouldn't complete it and was saying may have bad sectors. So I tried to recessitate it by turning it off and on several times. And when that didn't work, I rushed it over to the emergency room at Best Buy where the technician spent hours working on the poor thing. Finally, after running a Norton's System Works on the old fella, they found 113 damaged organs which they immediately repaired. They bandaged him up and sent him back home with me to nurse him back to health. I had to basically flush the old guy out by Formatting and Recovering his original body. I just was able to get him hooked back up to the internet, so here we are. Tomorrow, I'll complete the outpatient surgery by reinstalling all of our Web Design software. Wish us a speedy recovery. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about that Jada! I know that feeling and it is not good, especially if you don't have things backed up. I am glad that they were able to save her.

Core

ABW Ambassador
    I seemed to remember to copy everything over to my backup drive except for:

My Favorites.

Dang!!! I lost alot of good reference sites.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JadaKiss:
    I seemed to remember to copy everything over to my backup drive except for:

My Favorites.

Dang!!! I lost alot of good reference sites.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think if I lost my computer, that would be the biggest material loss! I completely understand your pain here. I am glad you at least are able to recover the majority of your work! With my luck, well it would all be gone!

Sounds like it might be a good time to do some backing up. I'd probably cry if I lost my list of subscribers, website databases and por... um I mean images.

I did cry when I lost a load of stuff, twice it happened to me!! and I still do not do regular backups [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] when will I learn :confused:

Glad to hear you are back again anyway Jadakiss, dont forget to take it slow for a little while as he might still be a little on the weak side after the shutdown [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So their fix was to wipe out all your data? Did you have to pay for that?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So their fix was to wipe out all your data? Did you have to pay for that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, their fix was to correct the 113 damaged file. And then he told me to take it home and start it up in safemode, backup any files that I really wanted, and then pop in the reocvery disk. I have two hard drives - so I backed the majority of stuff I really needed onto it because the one drive was not damaged.

No, it was FREE.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well this doesn't happen often since less than 1/2 of 1% of all the computers in use last year required a legit service call for hardware failure problems. Todays hard drives meantime between failure is 20 years even if used 14 hours a day. Lightning and power surges are the real culperts.

I've done many of these recovery deals over the last 30 years. Even have a diskcopy program that duplicates the entire drive once it has been successfully booted onto a new drive. My advice is to throw away the old drive or use it as a backup drive.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My advice is to throw away the old drive or use it as a backup drive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The drive is nearly brand new - less than 6 months old - just brought it. Do you still advice to get rid of it. :eek:

With it being only 6 months old, it probably is still under warranty. You could possibly get it replaced for free.

We have had 2 drives do this over the years and amazingly enough in the last month of their warranty both times. We just called maxtor and told them of the problem and they shipped out new drives immediately to us. We only had to ship them back the defective drives after we received the new ones.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    Lightning and power surges are the real culperts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be a bit redundant to say on a board filled with so many computer experts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .. but please be aware that most lightning damage comes via the phone lines ... you'd be surprised how many people unplug their computers every night thinking they'll be safe, but don't unplug the phone line ...

I used to do invoicing at a computer company - the bills for ld repair are very very high, and not covered under a regular maintenance contract! (good money in storm season for the company LOL!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Me? I never even turn mine off during a storm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you'd be surprised how many people unplug their computers every night thinking they'll be safe, but don't unplug the phone line<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell that's the only time I ever disconnect any plug connecting to my puter and it's usually 2 seconds after I hear one little peak of thunder. I've heard three stories about fried modems so I don't risk it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Jada, hopefully your computer will stay healthy now!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>you'd be surprised how many people unplug their computers every night thinking they'll be safe, but don't unplug the phone line<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always unplug my phone line... at least I know that my "strange habit" is doing some good, now! I have just been more comfortable with it unplugged while I was asleep!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread