ABW Ambassador
    Better read this AGAIN
    Provide relevant and substantial content.

Because per Google:
    "From time-to-time, we improve our algorithms for evaluating landing page quality (often based on feedback from our end-users), and next week we're launching another such improvement. Thus, over the coming days a small number of advertisers who are providing a low quality user experience on their landing pages will see increases in their minimum bids. It is important to note, however, that the vast majority of advertisers will not be affected at all by this change, as they link to quality landing pages.

minimum bids or maximal bids?

I bet this is something that Google has already tampered with about 3 months ago. I remember, at Webmasterworld (I think), that this was the topic of discussion for a little while. People who had minimum bids of < 1.00 were seeing increases of up to 10.00 or more.

Quality seemed to be the main factor in those cases (although there was really no way to prove that).

I wonder if that was a test run then, and now, they're looking to make it a permanent change.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Could this be Google finally looking at MFA pages? You know, bidding low on their adwords account to draw a user to a higher paying adsense page?
    As they say, the majority of advertisers wont be affected, so just a select few then.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Yep, test is older than that and it's been rolling through accounts as official as the post office for many, many months now... They're getting better at hitting their aims and goals, but are still VERY far from doing what they say they want to do with these new requirements. (meaning they often call good sites bad, and overlook bad sites as being fine)

And of course, every new rule creates a new way to cheat as well. Passing keywords in strings and dynamically altering your gateway pages (supposed to be a no-no) will drastically lower your ppc in many cases because the site aspects of the quality score goes through the roof. Like keyword stuffing in the early days of seo, so is the ppc landscape in imbalance today. I think they're losing site of one fact - ppc traffic has inherent roi as a HUGE check against spray and pray marketing - G should let the market fix itself (it will!) concerning what's on their sites and whether it converts and concentrate more on click fraud than content rules for sites that advertise.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, if the PPC landing pages weren't making money, people would stop the campaigns. If it is making money, then it's working no matter how it looks or what Google thinks of it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Yeah, if the PPC landing pages weren't making money, people would stop the campaigns. If it is making money, then it's working no matter how it looks or what Google thinks of it.
    Bingo!!

Same for any other site (regardless of PPC usage) that exists to make money, for that matter.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread