More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Exclamation Computer Will Not Start
    My Father-in-law's computer froze up to the point that the only recourse he had was to shut the power off. Upon starting up again, the computer fan runs but the computer never gets beyond that point - it does not attempt to boot.

Any suggestions as to what we could try?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

do the fans continue to run or do they shut off?
    Do you see anything on the screen?

desktop or laptop?

Does it beep at all?

This is a desktop computer. The fans continue to run. The screen shows nothing. The powerup lights on both the monitor and tower show yellow which I believe signifies "sleep" mode.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

try holding the f8 key on reboot or whichever key puts you in safe mode if it boots, let everything load up (very limited in safe mode) then reboot if you can.

it should at least get to the bios loading page, which may mean it's a ram error. Take this advice with salt as I'm a trial and error techie

;-)

Thanks, I will give it a try!

This may sound silly, but did you push the start button on the computer? I boot up by turning on the surge protector switch and then push the button on the computer. It took me two days to figure that one out on a new Dell.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    This may sound silly, but did you push the start button on the computer? I boot up by turning on the surge protector switch and then push the button on the computer. It took me two days to figure that one out on a new Dell.
    Yes, we tried to start the way he always starts it. We have not tried the f8 key yet.

Check to make sure all internal cards and memory dimms are firmly in place. Sometimes they jiggle loose (like a memory dimm) and the computer will turn on (fan wise) but not boot or even beep.

Sounds like you might have had something go bad or overheat.

Thanks for all your help!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Video Card
    It might be a loose or bad video card. If you know how try puliing it out and reinstalling it. or if you have a spare one around try that.

I used to be a computer tech. I swear half my job was pulling bad video cards and putting new ones in. I am not sure if it was the cards we were using or what but that was half my job. Sometimes the case gets kicked or the cable gets pulled and they get loose.

Also seeing nothing on the screen is quite confusing, all the beeps and fans sound strange....

We tried tightening anything that could possibly jar loose with no success. It seems that the computer is not getting powered up at all, only the fan is. We get no reaction from the monitor.

My Father-in-law's computer froze up to the point that the only recourse he had was to shut the power off.
    I have that same problem once in a while, and the only way to get back is after I reboot the computer.

After I have checked everything, the only two things that I can suspect is causing everything to freeze on the screen was the DSL Modem or the mouse, but since I noticed that one time while the computer froze up, I was still getting emails on my inbox, I redirect all my suspicions to my Logitech Mouse.

The last couple of times that everything froze again, I just banged the mouse a few times all over the desk, and everything started to work again without me having to reboot the computer, and so far so good.

While it may, or may not be the mouse causing the problem, I don't know, but I already have a new mouse standing by in case it happens again.

I guess you can try to boot up without conecting the mouse and see if it works.

Btw, you can also try to boot up without conecting the keyboard and see if it makes any difference.

Sal.

We tried rebooting with everything disconnected. Could not get to square one. I'm afraid my Father-in-law will have to take the computer in - he is bummed.

try taking everything apart aside from the video or other such cards, plugs, cords everything. If you have 2 ram chips in place go to one, if you have one and have a 2nd puter with ram sawp it out...reconnect everything, then try to reboot if you have no luck try a different ram chip, then move to a power supply if you have a second box...it's just a few screws and a plug or two (not rocket science and only about 30 bucks if you need one)

when you start it the first thing that gets juice is the power supply, which is working enough for the fans to turn on, but could be pumping out over 400 watts if working correctly...a fan is much less than a watt. I think if you had a memory error, you would at least get a beep...provided the speaker is in place ;-)

Since you tried rebooting with everything disconnected and still bad, you can check the 5v and the 12v fuses to see if one is open. There are two fuses on the power supply.

On some power supply, they're the regular snap on fuses, but in others they're pig-tail fuses, so you will need a soldering gun to replace any of those.

Note: If when you're rebooting you hear the HD spinning, then the 12v fuse is ok.

Oh, and uh, be sure to disconnect your PC from power before you go messing with fuses and cards
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It could be the video card. Was the screen starting to act funky in the days/weeks before this happened?

When my vid card died, it got more and more "artifacts" (ie, crap) in the screen (so bad I couldn't read the monitor)--and then, it stopped booting altogether. If I did manage to get it to do anything, it'd just flash an error and then shut down again.

If he's not a gamer, that's only about $50 or so to fix. Older games (and "grandma games") will run on the cheap ones, too. Simple-as-pie repair, mechanically. If he wants to play something new and graphics-intensive, though, then you're talking some serious money, more like fixing a car than a computer...

When you turn the computer on does the monitor light flicker or does it remain yellow?

If it flickers that means video card is fine but you may have a motherboard problem somewhere.

If it doesn't flicker means video card is bad.

Either way take the monitor to a 2nd computer and test it it may be the monitor but probably not as the tower shows it is in sleep mode.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    #1 one cause of above senerio is a bad power supply. If your computer can't get to the bios setup screen on pre-boot sequence ( usually hitting the "Delete" key) no power is getting to motherboard.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Yes, we are fairly certain this is a power supply problem. My Father-in-law will be taking the computer in.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions!

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread