Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Unhappy Discouraged by Walmart non-commissionable sales
    I'm really in a quandary about what to do about this. With niches that Walmart converts well for, knowing which products to put up, doing a strong pre-sell for them and featuring high-demand products - and giving them the place of prominence on pages, in spite of having some Walmart sales, it's still very tempting to NOT promote them at all.

I realize that the return days were increased to 3 days, but while that may be enough to entice more people into promoting them, it's almost like doing so is giving them a charitable contribution. We ARE entitled to commissions for sales that result from our efforts, and 3 return days seems little better than no return days at all.

Two sales showed up today for a total of over $200 with multiple products ordered - and what for? $0 is not exactly fair for the amount of effort it takes.

I'm not sure I can live with this kind of non-payment for efforts, especially on my high traffic pages. Anyone else drop merchants altogether for this reason, or does it make more sense to bury them under a ton of text and Adsense?

I've only recently put Walmart up, and I'm already disgusted with them.

You'd think Linkshare would set some sort of reasonable minimum. At least one advertiser there has a cookie duration of something like .0268 days (note decimal point). It is not in Linkshare's interest to allow this kind of chiseling, unless they are charging clients higher monthly fees for use of the "cookie crumb" option.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

"does it make more sense to bury them under a ton of text and Adsense?"

In many cases, a single Adsense click will pay you more than the merchant will wind up paying you for 100 or more clicks. Even if it's just 10 cents.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Every Walfart sale I've had come through my LS account was "noncommissionable" due to exceeded return days. Pissed me off so much I stopped promoting them. What's the point? Give them more free traffic and get screwed because they're one of the big guys and can afford to? Nope ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    You'd think Linkshare would set some sort of reasonable minimum. At least one advertiser there has a cookie duration of something like .0268 days (note decimal point). It is not in Linkshare's interest to allow this kind of chiseling, unless they are charging clients higher monthly fees for use of the "cookie crumb" option.
    Yup. there are some ppl out there with 0.0268 days. Why in the world do you want to put that? It's not even 1/2 a day...

ABW Ambassador
    I had same experience with other programs too. Now I'm starting to get rid of those menchants with "commission on select goods"

Quote Originally Posted by atonca
    I had same experience with other programs too. Now I'm starting to get rid of those menchants with "commission on select goods"
    love ur icon/avitar

depends on the product. if they are giving it away, they cannot pay on commission or if they are breaking even, then they have to draw a line at their loss rite.
    just my 2 cents

ABW Ambassador
    Every Walfart sale
    ROFL, that's a classic!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    ROFL, that's a classic!
    :-) Feel free to adopt "Walfart" - sometimes things fly off the top of my head and they're brilliant. LMAO - This was one. If I censored myself, I'd miss most of these gems. Somehow, it seems this title should have been discovered before I posted it though ... if not, go to town, WW ... not like it doesn't suit them.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, I've been doing pretty well with them otherwise and just started with them a few weeks ago. They REALLY need to increase the return days to something normal.

Still LOL@walfart

ABW Ambassador
    In only a day or two: 2 sales non-commissionable totalling $219.81, total of $497.13 worth of business sent Walmart's way (with one sale alone over $200) for a grand total of $23.77 for all that, and very targeted, too - most all of it bought exactly what was on the pages, which is WORK - it isn't feeds, it's all hand selected.

That amount earned for all of that business is not at all sweet - or fair; the percentage and the dollar amount earned vs. the amount of goods sold is scandalous. I don't like what it adds up to for the hourly reimbursement for all the work put into it, it's too much like slave labor wages. I could make more than that cleaning people's toilets.

Look at how walmart (the old offline walmart) got to be the force they are today.

No reason to expect different w/the online walmart.

I think affiliates are at a disadvantage promoting merchants who sell stuff that can be found anywhere. And lowest price is always the determining factor.

ABW Ambassador
    lowest price is always the determining factor
    Online too, for certain things and for certain demographics and markets. Which is why I put their stuff up in the first place.

But for other type things there are certain selling points other than just price, it can depend on the goods and the merchant's branding and site appearance. With some types of items, there are people who actually go for more expensive pricing, it's got a different type of emotional appeal. I guess we just have to know our target audience and how to approach them and who and what with.

I think affiliates are at a disadvantage promoting merchants who sell stuff that can be found anywhere.
    That's where our pre-sell can come in, but in some cases there's stuff that can't be found anywhere - and for the type of stuff being peddled on this particular site, price is a factor.

BUT - it can be better to sell less volume at higher commission percentages, because we'll still make out better long term. Like one sale for $500 with a commission of $50 (or close to it) - we need less volume to come out better.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey WebWorker,

I met Randy at the Affiliate Summit this weekend, and he seemed like a pretty reasonable guy, have you tried emailing him to see if he'll extend you a private offer with a longer cookie duration? Since you already have had some sales, you might find him more receptive.

-Michael

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Good point Michael and ditto on Randy being a great guy. I talked to him a number of times at the Summit. LinkShare has the ability to set return days per affiliate. Not sure what Walmart allows but I would email Randy and see if he can work with you.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I was going to say exactly the same thing as Michael Nunez and Chuck Hamrick. Contact Randy and see if anything can be done.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I was going to say exactly the same thing as Michael Nunez and Chuck Hamrick. Contact Randy and see if anything can be done.
    Ditto....met Randy, awesome stand up guy ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    I'll be trying to catch him, but the problem may be what corporate is willing to concede to. They may LIKE all those non-commissionable sales.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    My mom is up to over $700 in non commish sales this month

My friend who runs a very nice website never had any luck with WalMart. Now, only banners ads for appearence.

ABW Ambassador
    My friend who runs a very nice website never had any luck with WalMart
    Eric, it can have very little (or even nothing at all) to do with it being a nice site. It can depend a whole lot more on a merchant being suited to a site's niche. Regardless of how nice, it may not have been suited to the typical Walmart (or Target) shopper.

It can sometimes be a very not_very_nice site; it's often a matter of knowing the particular target market and what appeals to them, getting precisely targeted traffic, giving them exactly what they're looking for - and *maybe* speaking their language in the pre-sell, unless the visuals sell themselves, which can happen with products.

AND how a particular store appeals to the particular crowd. For example, I had a product up that I gave a glowing, long description for and a link to a merchant - no deal, no sales. I changed the merchant linked to, to another one - had a $520 sale within the week - same price, but a completely different look and feel to the two merchant sites. It doesn't happen too often with this site, it's mostly much lower price tag sales, but different stores will have more or less appeal for the majority of the type of visitors on a given site and what they're shopping for.

My mom is up to over $700 in non commish sales this month
    Her site most likely has more up for Walmart than I do, I've only got a few pages. But the non-commish in the recent weeks I've had Walmart up is:

Walmart:
    8 sales that went through for around $550.
    5 non-commissionable sales for almost $300

Target:
    37 sales that went through - around $1650
    1 non-commisionable sale for $31.98

Walmart has more selection of the same stuff for better prices. And in-store only stuff, and a lot on clearance prices - big plusses. And I've got the rest of this one to finish and a whole nuther new site to populate for the same shopping crowd, for a slightly different sub-set of this product line.

So what do I do when I want to put "value into the click for my savvy shoppers" like always says, but I sit here aggravating myself when I look at the LS reports? I know, I know - whine to the AM. I intend to.

I cannot understand why WalMart online would really bring value to consumers except for convenience and for affiliate, MAYBE a commissionable sale.

If you drive to your grandma's house or work, I am sure that you will pass walmart B&M. They are everywhere. Except to avoid looking for that product at the store and avoid the lines, consumers can get almost anything there. Why would they want to buy online?

Sale/clearence items online. You might not find the clearence items at the B&M store nationwide but you are paying more for shipping.

My friend's site does about $3k from some merchants and have very targeted creative but maybe they are not the walmart crowd. So only banners for a brand association for the site.

I met one of the walmart team members and they are nice people but canot understand the crazy commission thing with them.

are walmart gift cards non-commissionable?

i couldn't figure it out, thanks.

I can.

Gift cards are just like $.
    One can't discount $ unless you are selling bonds.

I don't know about wal-mart, but some merchants pay commish on gift cards.

Sears for one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast