Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I want to quit my day job to work home full time, but it's a big move (I've got 2 hungry cats to feed) - any advice or good/bad experience? :rolleyes:

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Freedom is GREAT! To me, freedom is ALL good!!

Since you asked about quitting the job and not marketing, I'll aim my advice toward staying out of employment (while avoiding an apartment on Cardboard Box Ave.) as opposed to selling more stuff.

My first advice is to remember that this business is SPIKEY so if you want to be on the safe side, save up enough money that various bad flukes (lousy listing rank, merchants ditching, etc.) do not cause a financial problem.

Make sure your income doesn't depend on one or two merchants. From what I've seen, all merchants eventually take that midnight plane.

Even though I LOVE CJ, it is indeed prudent to spread the risk over a few networks. But don't sign up for merchants/networks "just to do it"--check 'em out first. The main question of course is DO THEY PAY followed closely by WHEN? Then it's "do their merchants convert for you".

To avoid Cardboard Box Ave., you should wait to quit until all your bills are covered by your commissions during the LOW months of the year. Summer's the worst time for most things. If you quit during the high months (Jan-May), figuring your bills are "just covered", they probably WON'T be during the summer months.

The above is the "prudent" course... Of course that assumes that you are responsible for paying the major bills like rent/mortgage, heat, lights, etc. If you're NOT (in other words Cat Food is really your only "major" expense)... Quit now and ask questions later, lol!

As for experience, since this post may not be migrated to ABW 2.0, I'll just link to This Thread for now...

Leader
    I'm definately at the 'I CANT STAND THIS JOB ANY MORE!!' stage..
    I think I can make it through to the end of the year without too many problems so I should go for it really.
    Only worries are 1) my traffic is mostly from one source - Google and 2) half my commission is from one merchant.
    Yeah, I've got a full set of bills but some rent income to help with that a little.
    Should I call in sick tomorrow??! :eek:

You can stand it till the end of the year?? Well, then you have a few months to spread out that risk between merchants and traffic sources...

As for taking a day off tomorrow, only you know how many days you can skip before you get canned [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

When it comes to the general idea of taking a day off, every day taken off is one day of your life snatched back from the gaping, ravenous maw of The Job. But WEDNESDAYS are better days to skip because it breaks up the week into two small, equal 2-day stretches! So it's like going from a 5 day week to a 2 day week with one skip! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Of course if you do that too much, it gets predictable, they get suspicious, and the job may end sooner than you expect! If you're thinking "Yess, that'd be gooood..." all I can say is START TYPING MORE PAGES QUICK, you'll probably quit before the year's up! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the encouragement [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Potato, go for it. I left a well-paying job two years ago to try the web thing. It's been up and down but now mostly up, and I wouldn't go back to the stress of managing 300 employees for anything! Diversity is key; don't put all your eggs in one basket, and yes, have a cushion because in the beginning, it will be tough. If you can hang through some slow months, it will be worth it!

ok, I'm gonna do it!
    I've got 3 sites running well but I know I have to diversify a lot more.. thanks for the advice, looks like I've got a lot of work to do! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: potato ]

>Only worries are 1) my traffic is mostly from one source - Google

That can be fixed.

>and 2) half my commission is from one merchant.

So can that.

Seriously, if you can't stand your job, quit it. The sheer panic will give you the incentive to fix both these problems. I do things on the principle that if I don't want to do something theres a good reason somewhere.

The strategy you used on that one merchant, if adapted, will work on certain others. I guess the next job is to find those others while promoting your currently best performing pages in Ink.

Keep at this and that creeping sense of insecurity should fade.

I

ABW Ambassador
    As someone who just experienced two months without Google traffic, my advice would be to work hard, very hard, at ways to diversify your traffic. Search engine listings can go up and down with the tweak of an algo, so the more traffic sources you develop the more stability you'll have.

That said, if you're seriously thinking about ditching the day job, set a timeline for the transition, and go for it. As long as you don't burn your bridges, you can always go back if it doesn't work out. And if it does, well, you can drop back into your old workplace for a visit on your way to the bank sometime.

My grandmother once said - wisest advice she ever gave me - that sometimes you'll be sorry for things you do that don't work out, but life's biggest regrets come from having a dream and not giving it your best shot.

So, give it your best shot!

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    Potato
    I think there should be a new forum at ABW called "I Just Quit My Day Job" for people like you and me. I am in a slightly different situation. I am (or was) a teacher at a school in Madrid, but was selling my house to move back to Tenerife with my Spanish wife. I thought I would be fair to the school, so in October I told them I was selling my house and intended to move on when it was sold. Next thing I new was my school found a replacement and told me I was out at Christmas and that because I had resigned I would not get paperwork for unemployment money. At this time my house buyer pulled out and all looked bleak. No job, no money, house not sold. Anyway, I fought the school for the papers for unemployement based on the fact I did not resign. I got them and could have gotten more if I had sued over my job loss - but that would have meant no money until the case was sorted out in court - 6 months plus. I settled for unemployement money only. Now, I am sugning the sale papers tomorrow (touch wood) and moving back to Tenerife next week. I am not making an income from this yet, but have about 1 year to do so working full time. My wife will work and I can get unemployment for 7 months. Sale of the house will give us a little more money.

All of this has been stressful and probably damaged my health. But I am once again excited - and do you know what? I am glad I lost my job. If I fail, I have a way out as teachers are in demand. But, like you I want freedom from the hell of working for w*****s (an English word). I say, go for it, but make sure you can afford life from a good few months yet.

Like you, most of my traffic is Google. My merchants are well spread though, and I am diversifying. Diversify, and get more sites working. Any you have that work well, copy them making small changes to keyword density and text. This should keep at least one of your pages high in the search engine if the other drops.

Anyway, good luck. And can we have that forum please so Potato and PerfectG can encourage each other.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah they need a forum about quitting your day job. LOL!! I am in the same boat with you Potatoe. However, after struggling with this decision for at least six months now - I have finally decided to "Quit my Day Job". However, I am not quitting until July after I move into my new house. Right now I'm saving for the down payment but once I move, I'll be free sailing. No more being anyone's work slave and getting up to come out into the freezing cold weather unless I want to. I can't wait to do my business Full-time. I am VERY EXCITED about this new life that I will have come July 1st. VERY EXCITED!! I will actually be able to cook dinner before 7:00 p.m. and be home for my kids when they get home from school. What time is the normal dinner time anyway??? LOL!!

Thank you Leader for helping me make the leap. Your words and disguist for employment have been very encouraging. LOL!!

I'll keep you guys posted as to when I give my resignation. I want to wait until my closing which is the mid May and then furnish my house and get some things in order before I do it - so I'm shooting for July 1st, hey that's a Monday. LOL!!!

Potatoe - if you can afford it - go for it. If I wasn't saving for this house - I would have left months ago. Just don't make any hasty decisions. Make sure your commissions are steady and can cover your monthly bills. My commissions have been steady and growing upward for about 8 months now and they more than cover my bills and living expenses. So make sure you will be in a good financial position when you decide to quit. Like Leader said, this business can have it's ups and downs and you have to be prepared for that. Plus I would strongly advise that you diversify your traffic before doing so. One twist of the Google Engine and you stand to lose major income.

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

ok, I've done it.. goodbye day job.
    Care to join me anyone?

ABW Ambassador
    I can't join you because you're joining me!

Good luck and have fun!

Elisabeth Archambault

thanks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>all I can say is START TYPING MORE PAGES QUICK, you'll probably quit before the year's up~Me<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ok, I've done it.. goodbye day job.~Potato<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THAT didn't take long, LOL! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Congratulations on your newfound freedom! Enjoy it!!

How I envy you ..... Good Luck be with you! Enjoy your new life!

How does that now famous little piece of email go?

Love like you've never been hurt,
    Play like you've never lost,
    Dance like nobody's looking...

And make more pages like your house depends on it!

lol, welcome to the world of affiliate marketing with no safety net. Well, I still have a safety net, since hubby hasn't quit his job. Yet. He really wants out, and I don't blame him.

Of course, if they fired him that would be a bit better, since unemployment could pay for him to sit at the computer next to me and find a niche on the net.

When I left my last j*b, the hospital managed to mess up my paper so I didn't get my unemployment. I decided that I could earn as much on the net, if I put the hours in. It took a bit longer than I had originally thought, but things are going pretty well.

my (soon to be ex) employer is furious :mad:

Best of luck and do read whatever Ken Evoy stuff you can find. You can get a lot of free info from him at he link below.

Check out this site and participate in their boards.

It is second best to ABW, I feel but you will need all the help you can get anywhere you can get it.

boards

Sorry, Haiko I love ABW but she will have a lot of time for questions and study.

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    WOW - That was QUICK!! Congrats Potatoe!!! I am temporarily jealous - I still have 3 months to go. Ugghhhhh!!!! So how long were you at your job?? Were they pissed??? I have been at my job for 3 1/2 years. I know my employer will be pissed, sad, and shit out of luck when I leave!!! Different people annoy me MORE and MORE everyday!! I can't wait to be out!!!!

Enjoy your new life and may you hold your head up high as you stroll down the avenue to success. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>him to sit at the computer next to me and find a niche on the net.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> No, Webmistress, that's a recipe for friction. Get him his own computer!

Elisabeth

Jada - been there 8 years, was only supposed to be 6 months, what a nightmare! If I didn't have an escape route I think I'd go insane. Affiliate marketing has started paying the bills so I thought I would break free and see what happens. I'm not officially free yet but won't be long. You know how it is doing the two jobs, you have to shelve most of your ideas because you don't have the time - too many hours spent commuting and in the office with your brain switched off. Main problem with my sites is half the sales are from one merchant so I've got a lot of work to do to spread the risk around. :eek:

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: potato ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>the computer next to me <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I meant, dear! There is my computer, and there is now the computer next to me (which still needs to be networked by someone who knows what they are doing so I can remove my most valuable files from it to this nice fast new machine).

It still might mean friction as I have no tolerance for teaching, but I did at least choose to marry someone bright. He'll be fine.

With the ADSL connection now, once the older puter (about 3 years) is networked in, we should be able to work on different net things at the same time on different computers.

If it works out well, maybe we can build a website called "Affiliate Marriages" or something. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>THAT didn't take long, LOL!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Leader - It took 2 years really!

SSanf - great links, thanks

Jada - 'Were they pissed?' YES!

ABW Ambassador
    Potatoe - I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You know how it is doing the two jobs, you have to shelve most of your ideas because you don't have the time<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a folder of sites I have layed out to design. I manage to design about 4 sites a month. I mainly work at night right now after my kids go to bed. So I feel like I'm working 3 jobs. I will be able to get so much more done once I pursue it full-time. I'll be able to work during the day and chill at night instead of working until 10:30 p.m. at night and all weekend too. I long to just be able to go on little mini weekend vactions with my kids and family. I can't wait!!! It will be so great. I just feel so blessed, words could never explain. I like many others on this board, have worked hard for so many years. I was a teenage parent and single mom and have been on my own since the age of 18. I've been working for about 12 years nows - I'm 30. And for me to have this opportunity now to be there for my kids and be a full-time mom at this sweet tender age - Omigauld I'm loving it.

Good luck Potatoe and I'm sure you'll keep us posted on how you love your new found freedom. I'd love to here how you like it and how things are going for you - It'll give me the courage to resign when my day comes up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast