Typical thinking?
    ...................I've been riding motorcycles for most of my life, at 50 I've got about 35 years on motorcycles. In the last couple of years in particular, I've had to signal people to get of my as*. When they realize they're tailgating me, they back off pretty quickly. I've come to understand from this that the typical driver is not actually aware of what they are doing at any individual moment. They are just driving from point A to point B, without any knowledge of their technique. Whether riding on one of my bikes, or in my truck, I watch a good 500 yards in front and a couple hundred behind.

Most people just don't look any futher than their "point A" or "point B".

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Nowadays there are more drivers talking on their cell phones instead of driving with attention. Some of them don't even seem to be aware of their surroundings because they get so into their conversations.

A few months ago, I got bumped (at about 1MPH, no damage...he was slowing down for the red light I was stopped at, but missed the proper stopping point by just a little). I looked in the mirror and he flashed me this sh*t-eating guilty grin...

I was just about to start looking forward again when I saw the cellphone he had hidden come back up to his ear. And when the light turned green, he proceeded to continue yapping as he drove along. The thought that he should shut up and DRIVE apparently didn't get through to him at all! Despite having already hit something!

I'm surprised you didn't get off the bike and have a chat(?) with him.

Some people just don't think - cellphone or not. The other day, I was sitting in the McD's drivethru, minding my own business, and about a car length behind the girl in front of me.

Someone was trying to pull out in front of her (from the parking lot), so what does she do? (Mind you, I saw this coming about 5 seconds before but was unable to find the horn lol). She just kicks it in reverse, slams on the gas, and wham....

I was livid at that point. I watched this happening the whole time, and noticed that she never looked once in her rearview mirror - a pretty big brainfart on her part.

I hadn't had my coffee, so I was pretty riled up, ready to go. The poor little girl (like 16-17) gets out, shaking like a leaf, and that pretty much ended my tirade on the spot (i'm a slush). After looking at the damage, I realized that it wasn't enough to warrant the hassle - she quickly agreed (of course). And we went about our merry way.

All you can really do is keep a steady eye out for drivers like this, and hope to God that one's not heading your way..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Some of them are DRUNK too.

Those ones need to be crucified with hot coals in their eyes.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The thing that drives me crazy, and SALocalcom, you may notice this as well, is when I am trying to safely leave room between myself and the car in front of me people seem to take that as an invitation to swerve in front of me.

It doesn't dawn on them that I'm not just leaving room for others in front of me, I'm leaving room to drive safely. Especially in heavy traffic. {sigh}

Sheri

When I lived in New Mexico it was IMPOSSIBLE to leave enough space between cars/motorbikes. People would ALWAYS zoom into the space infront you have. It would drive me crazy. They have so many fatalities in that state due to drunk driving and bad drivers. I think machismo culture has some influence there.

I grew up in Chicago and spent many many hours on the roads there commuting but that was 15 - 20 years ago (yikes!) and everything was always just crawling along so there wasn't much room for damage to be done.

In New Mexico you'd be going 70 mph and someone wil pop into you lane right infront of you even though there's no one behind you and plenty of room back there....ugghhh. I'm in Ohio now and don't drive enough here to get bothered about it. Seems there are alot of airhead drivers here.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

When I'm rinding, in particular, I take the attitude that I'm in combat. I can't tell you how often I've had drivers pull out in front of me, drive into my lane,.......tailgating realy make me mad.

My pops had an accident a few months back - a kid on a crotch rocket swerved lanes and ran head on into his car. The kid flew a "few" feet, but somehow managed to make it through with just a few scrapes, bumps, and the like. Tore his windshield up pretty good though and scared my pops more than it did the kid I think..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    There have been a few times when a motorcycle has been in my blind spot and I did not see them and almost caused them to have an accident. SAlocalcom you seem to have a good awareness of this but I think a lot of younger bike riders don't realize how much at risk they really are in heavy traffic. Then throw in inattentive or intoxicated drivers and you really have a bad mix.

In rural areas or even suburban areas, you have deer to deal with - these cause a lot of really bad bike accidents. A young local fellow collided with one a few years ago and that was his end.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

My pet peeve with drivers is:

People from intersections pull out in front of you close enough that you have to get on the brake yet there was no one behind you. Ehhh...they couldn't wait the extra 5 seconds and pull out after you pass the intersection???!

Yes, I agree that many motorcycle acidents could be avoided if the rider was actually riding in a defensive posture. Many young riders (no matter their age, a young rider is one that's only been riding for under 5 years, maybe 10 in some cases) think they can just have a joy ride and they aren't thinking defensively, they're just having a good 'ol time. That's a mistake these days. You can't ride like you don't have a worry in the world. You have to be smart about it at every moment. That's why I consider it combat....and that's why I've never been hurt.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread