Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    WiFi How to?
    Hi,

    I'll be skipping town for a while (so if I don't post you know why).

    Gee, it's tough for me to be away from the ABW family so I am looking into possibly using a wireless laptop at a WiFi hotspot.

    I have never used my laptop as a wireless. I configured it to use a telephone modem but I am pretty sure that I have a WiFi compatible laptop

    Anyway I saw this information:
    We have computer ports on the main and second floors for your convenience. Your laptop must have a network card (NIC) in your computer and must be setup to obtain an IP address automatically. Be sure to bring your patch cables or category 5 cables. We also have wireless access for those with WiFi compatible laptops.
    My laptop is an HP Pavilion Ze461ous AMD Athlon ...

    So what do I need to do to take advantage of a WiFi spot?
    Can you point me to an online how-to or do you have any advice?

    Thanks in advance
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  2. #2
    Advocate mellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,925
    A very non-techy answer. If your laptop is wireless it's easy - click the wireless network icon then select view wireless networks available then select the network & click connect. When I bring my laptop into a wifi area or even if my dsl goes out the wireless network icon draws attention to itself and lets me know othe connections are around. My laptop worked this way without me doing anything other than initial set up out of box. Maybe check Control panel - Network & Internet - Networkconnections to make sure you're set. Hope this helps a little.

  3. #3
    SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 18th, 2006
    Location
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Posts
    1,332
    The above post was all good info.

    Windows XP computers are amazing at grabbing on to sites that are in range. You might ask the front desk if there is a password or anything.

    Sometimes you will bring up a network page that has a password they change every few days or so. They will probably hand you a sheet on how to do it and write down the new passwords.

    GL

  4. #4
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    The above post was all good info.

    Windows XP computers are amazing at grabbing on to sites that are in range. You might ask the front desk if there is a password or anything.

    Sometimes you will bring up a network page that has a password they change every few days or so. They will probably hand you a sheet on how to do it and write down the new passwords.

    GL
    Thanks for the tips in this thread.

    This would be good to keep in mind anytime I take a trip
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  5. #5
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    R7,

    Looked up your compy ant first of all its a 4160 not a 416ous.

    You only have a Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) which means that you can connect to their network via a RJ45 cable (looks like a fat tel wire).

    To connect wirelessly, you will need a WiFi Card, for example - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...220345&CatId=0 and put that into your one available PCMCIA slot and then when your at the WiFi spot search and connect to the network.
    Continued Success,

    Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

  6. #6
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2006
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    R7,

    Looked up your compy ant first of all its a 4160 not a 416ous.

    You only have a Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) which means that you can connect to their network via a RJ45 cable (looks like a fat tel wire).

    To connect wirelessly, you will need a WiFi Card, for example - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...220345&CatId=0 and put that into your one available PCMCIA slot and then when your at the WiFi spot search and connect to the network.
    Guess everybody contributed and mentioned the right thing.

    Just to touch on that, I would personally buy a USB wireless card as opposed to a PCMCIA.
    1) PCMCIA will work with PCMCIA slots. You should have 1 or 2 slots on your notebook. Limited slots - so if you want to use that slot for something else, you are out of luck. I know some ppl use PCMCIA slots for printing and or watching video with an adapter.
    2) USB wireless, you can use it on your laptop, and if your homewireless card craps out, just use the USB. Computers /desktop does not have PCMCIA slots. So USB is widely used and available.

    i.e.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127151
    You can get it for less than $15 if you look really hard

  7. #7
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Guess everybody contributed and mentioned the right thing.

    Just to touch on that, I would personally buy a USB wireless card as opposed to a PCMCIA.
    1) PCMCIA will work with PCMCIA slots. You should have 1 or 2 slots on your notebook. Limited slots - so if you want to use that slot for something else, you are out of luck. I know some ppl use PCMCIA slots for printing and or watching video with an adapter.
    2) USB wireless, you can use it on your laptop, and if your homewireless card craps out, just use the USB. Computers /desktop does not have PCMCIA slots. So USB is widely used and available.

    i.e.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127151
    You can get it for less than $15 if you look really hard

    Thanks, that's really helpful
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  8. #8
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2006
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,731
    look up fatwallet and usually there a promo on there for USB wireless

    here is 1 of them
    http://www.directron.com/abt101.html

    I would look for that USB and buy elsewhere though.. as opposed to that link.
    look up pricewatch, pricegrabber...

  9. #9
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    Eric,

    How is a bluetooth Dongle gonna get her on 802.11a/b/g/n Network?

    ===========
    R7,

    Your welcome!

    No, I mean shoot who else would be dumb enough to waste their time looking up your compy's specs so you can actually connect.

    Lesson Learned.
    Continued Success,

    Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

  10. #10
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    look up fatwallet and usually there a promo on there for USB wireless

    here is 1 of them
    http://www.directron.com/abt101.html

    I would look for that USB and buy elsewhere though.. as opposed to that link.
    look up pricewatch, pricegrabber...
    Thank you for the great tips
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  11. #11
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Eric,

    How is a bluetooth Dongle gonna get her on 802.11a/b/g/n Network?
    Is that a joke?

    ===========
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    R7,

    Your welcome!

    No, I mean shoot who else would be dumb enough to waste their time looking up your compy's specs so you can actually connect.

    Lesson Learned.
    I appreciate you and everything you do, Haiko.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  12. #12
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2006
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,731
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Eric,

    How is a bluetooth Dongle gonna get her on 802.11a/b/g/n Network?

    ===========
    R7,

    Your welcome!

    No, I mean shoot who else would be dumb enough to waste their time looking up your compy's specs so you can actually connect.

    Lesson Learned.
    DUHHH!!!! Sorry..
    I search for USB and I know that they have USB wireless there. Copied the wrong link. Glad you caught that.

    If not, somebody will be cursing me when their wireless will not work.

  13. #13
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    DUHHH!!!! Sorry..
    I search for USB and I know that they have USB wireless there. Copied the wrong link. Glad you caught that.

    If not, somebody will be cursing me when their wireless will not work.
    Eric, why do you think they call Haiko "Thor -- The God of Thunder"?
    He can catch a slip within the time it takes for a lightning bolt to strike and he's sharp too

    Thanks, Haiko, for looking out for yours truly
    I love you (in a platonic sense).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  14. #14
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    Here's a 108Mbps usb 802.11a/b/g adapter:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

    I still prefer the PCMCIA.
    Continued Success,

    Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

  15. #15
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Here's a 108Mbps usb 802.11a/b/g adapter:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

    I still prefer the PCMCIA.
    Thanks. I'll have to look into everything.

    I asked on the fly but I was doing a bunch of things & got whisked away, at the time I didn't know I needed an external card (I thought maybe it was pre-built or something )

    Turned out I couldn't connect except over a slow 30 Kbps modem connection.

    This would be a good thing to know in the future and I thought it might be a good topic to post so I posted it
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  16. #16
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    R7,

    Looked up your compy ant first of all its a 4160 not a 416ous.

    You only have a Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector) which means that you can connect to their network via a RJ45 cable (looks like a fat tel wire).

    To connect wirelessly, you will need a WiFi Card, for example - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...220345&CatId=0 and put that into your one available PCMCIA slot and then when your at the WiFi spot search and connect to the network.
    Hi, thanks for looking up this information for me.

    At the time I did not follow up with a purchase, but now I am interested once again in buying this type of device.

    I just clicked the link and all that I see is the following message:
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0e7d'

    Unknown runtime error

    /include/getsql.asp, line 487
    Is that device still for sale? [Haiko, you said you preferred the first device you mentioned]


    Do you have an updated link? I'd be glad to purchase through your link. Thanks
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  17. #17
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2006
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,731
    Just clicked on it and that link is working.

    IMHO, I would go for the USB wireless adapters any day.

    1) For a PCMCIA, you cannot transfer it to be used on a desktop if you want to in the future.
    2) USB is not going away any time soon. PCMCIA cards, let's just say my first laptop have 2 of them and there were cards for 10/100 to dial up modems for that.

    USB:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...259&CatId=2691

    PCMCIA:
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WPC54G.../dp/B00007KDVK

    Checkout sites like slickdeals as you can often find those for free after rebate.
    The major players are Linksys (Cisco), D-Link, Netgear....Belkin, etc. What they do not tell you is that the chip or component behind these things are made by the one or two factories. Just different software/firmware.

  18. #18
    The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Small Town in Tennessee
    Posts
    5,226
    R7

    Whatever it takes, figure it out!!

    I'm in a hotel in Provo, UT this morning...

    Loxly had given my son her old laptop, which has WiFi. I was fully prepared to use my dialup laptop and basically just check emails and stats, but I gave this laptop a shot.

    Installed GoToMyPC in about 30 seconds, and was talking to my home computer right away.

    7am... and I've already processed yesterday's orders, answered customer emails, checked stats. It's way cool!!

    Good luck.

  19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Copyright and WiFi Treminology meanings
    By klm1159 in forum Business & Legal Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 26th, 2011, 08:51 PM
  2. The Dangers of Public WiFi
    By ladidah in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 6th, 2010, 01:56 AM
  3. Is Affiliate Summit Wifi Enabled ??
    By jaish in forum Events and Gatherings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM
  4. WiFi at Summit?
    By RacerX in forum Events and Gatherings
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: February 28th, 2008, 05:50 PM
  5. How secure is WiFi
    By Ron Bechdolt in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2006, 10:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •