Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Now I'm in for it....wish me luck.
    After much consideration (and a ton of resistance from yours truly), my fiancee and I adopted yet another dog this weekend. I think we should start ordering dog food direct from Eagle Pack, because this new boy is also going to be a hawg once he is up to weight - we're feeding around 20 cups daily with this latest addition.

He's a collie mix and we estimate his age at around 1.5 yrs. He is about 30 lbs but very underweight. He's a car crash survivor, had both legs reconstructed and we saved him from the pound. We named him Bennie.

The "wish me luck" comes in to play because he is EXTREMELY aggressive when cars are around. He snarls, foams at the mouth and tries to kill the cars. I've already been bitten a couple of times by him.

We always said that if we were going to adopt another it would be a very "unadoptable" dog with lots of potential, and boy is this the one. He's a very sweet little boy but not housetrained and he has never been taught boundaries with other animals or humans. Almost completely unsocialized.

The bright spot is that he is exceptionally intelligent. I taught him "sit","down", "come", and "off" in about 12 minutes this Sunday AM and his recall for the commands is fantastic - I'd say he's about 80% on the sit and down and 60% on recall.

For now, I'm stocking up on butterfly bandages and bactine. This could be a long breaking in period!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    Good luck with the new pooch...
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

Good luck with your new boy. I hope you can break through to the good dog hiding under all the problems.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Talking
    Hey Joe - best of luck with that! It's a long term investment with potentially great rewards - the best kind.

We tried to get our pets from the humane society because we too wanted to rescue those in need but ended up getting our kitties from someone we knew whose cat had just had a litter.

In the future when we have a bigger home and more time we may consider taking on the rehabilitation of a pet on 'death row' - I say power to you for taking on the initiative for the good of your new puppy.

Enjoy him and may patience be with you.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You're either an angel or a nutcase, Joe. Your new dog sounds like he's going to take all your love and patience to turn him around.

I've had success with mouthy dogs by getting them to give kisses instead of gnawing, nipping or chewing. I know it sounds a little kooky but it's better to modify a behavior than to try to eliminate it.

Best of luck to you and the rest of your extended family. I hope you'll keep us posted. My first dog wax a rough collie and I loved that dog to bits. Very smart, very loyal and oh boy was he a PIA to brush!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    You're either an angel or a nutcase, Joe. Your new dog sounds like he's going to take all your love and patience to turn him around.

I've had success with mouthy dogs by getting them to give kisses instead of gnawing, nipping or chewing. I know it sounds a little kooky but it's better to modify a behavior than to try to eliminate it.

Best of luck to you and the rest of your extended family. I hope you'll keep us posted. My first dog wax a rough collie and I loved that dog to bits. Very smart, very loyal and oh boy was he a PIA to brush!
    When we moved in together my fiancee wanted nothing to do with dogs. Now I fear I've turned her around and created a monster...so I vote for "nutcase," for sure...

So far he hasn't been "TOO" bitey unless I'm doing something he really doesnt like, ie pushing him into a sit, down, etc. I'm ok with mouthing so long as it doesn't turn in to nipping. You are correct on changing the behavior, though. In fact, I just started talking to my trainer about getting this dog involved in personal protection (strictly as a hobby to keep the dog engaged), in which the bite would be his reward, much like a treat or a toy. I'm optimistic!!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    After much consideration (and a ton of resistance from yours truly), my fiancee and I adopted yet another dog this weekend. I think we should start ordering dog food direct from Eagle Pack, because this new boy is also going to be a hawg once he is up to weight - we're feeding around 20 cups daily with this latest addition.

He's a collie mix and we estimate his age at around 1.5 yrs. He is about 30 lbs but very underweight. He's a car crash survivor, had both legs reconstructed and we saved him from the pound. We named him Bennie.

The "wish me luck" comes in to play because he is EXTREMELY aggressive when cars are around. He snarls, foams at the mouth and tries to kill the cars. I've already been bitten a couple of times by him.

We always said that if we were going to adopt another it would be a very "unadoptable" dog with lots of potential, and boy is this the one. He's a very sweet little boy but not housetrained and he has never been taught boundaries with other animals or humans. Almost completely unsocialized.

The bright spot is that he is exceptionally intelligent. I taught him "sit","down", "come", and "off" in about 12 minutes this Sunday AM and his recall for the commands is fantastic - I'd say he's about 80% on the sit and down and 60% on recall.

For now, I'm stocking up on butterfly bandages and bactine. This could be a long breaking in period!!!
    Congrats on the new addition!

I want to do the exact same thing - adopt a last-chance fellow (or gal) from the pound. I live in an apartment, however, and I'm afraid that if I do adopt one, leaving him/her cooped up for 8 hours a day (while at work, break at lunch) would do more harm than good. Been pondering it for months now lol.

Anyway, I hope he settles down some. Take care.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Good luck with your new dog. We got our pooch (beagle/yellow lab mix about 1 to 1 1/2 years old when we got her) from the local shelter too. She came with a multitude of medical problems (hip dysplasia and knee ligament problems that might require surgery eventually) and behavioral problems (severe separation anxiety causing destructive behaviors.. usually to doors and floorboards near doors). Although she was in fairly good overall health, she was a tad underweight. Nearly two years later, she's put on 20 pounds of pure muscle and is a happy, healthy, very loving pup. We have worked through a lot of problems with her and nearly gave up on her a few times, but we didn't and we're glad we didn't. My husband grew up with purebred golden retrievers his parents bought from breeders. He says that although his purebred dogs were very loving, our mutt from the pound is much more so, probably because she's grateful we saved her from the shelter and an uncertain fate. She absolutely loves to cuddle and she's smart, but can be a little stubborn. =) She picks up commands and tricks fairly easily, but if something else has her interest, you can bet you'll be ignored. LOL.

I wish you luck on your new dog and I hope you can work through its problems like we did with ours.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    Congrats on the new addition!

I want to do the exact same thing - adopt a last-chance fellow (or gal) from the pound. I live in an apartment, however, and I'm afraid that if I do adopt one, leaving him/her cooped up for 8 hours a day (while at work, break at lunch) would do more harm than good. Been pondering it for months now lol.

Anyway, I hope he settles down some. Take care.

That is exactly what I have done. I leave my boys crated from approx 7-11am, come home for lunch and a bit of play time, and then crated from 12-5 or so. They haven't had a problem, and as long as you make sure and exercise them in the morning they dont seem to mind the crating (provided that you have properly crate trained.) GO FOR IT!!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good luck with Bennie, Joe. He sounds like a sweetheart. Poor guy has issues because he's been traumatized. Hopefully, with gentle loving respectful treatment, he'll rebound and be the best friend you've ever had.

I rescue all our pets, too. Used to be a pure bred cat freak (still am actually) but have learned to adopt the ones who need a home and they make fantastic pets.

BIG kisses to Bennie! Please keep us updated on his progress. And how about a picture so we can all fall in love with yet another ABW pet.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

That is exactly what I have done. I leave my boys crated from approx 7-11am, come home for lunch and a bit of play time, and then crated from 12-5 or so. They haven't had a problem, and as long as you make sure and exercise them in the morning they dont seem to mind the crating (provided that you have properly crate trained.) GO FOR IT!!!!
    A couple of people I know do this as well, with no problems at all. I guess this finally confirms it! I'm kind of excited now, to tell you the truth. I've been wanting to adopt a puppy for the longest time.

How's it at night time? Do you continue to crate them when you go to bed? Or is it a free-for-all at night?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds a lot like my dog when I first got her. She was from South Central Los Angeles and I don't know what someone did to her but it wasn't good. I think she was kept locked up her whole life and abused. She was emaciated, completely untrained, had never been socialized around people or dogs and had never been on a sidewalk. She was fear agressive about everything - people, other dogs, paper bags - you name it. She also was very mouthy and didn't realize her own strength. Her mouthy bites really hurt.

I took her to obedience class and worked with her 1 on 1 for many hours. It was a real struggle at times. It was about a year, year and a half before it all came together but I stuck with it and now she is the sweetest, happiest dog in the world and very well trained. Every one who meets her thinks she's a real sweetheart. I'm like "if you could have seen her a few years ago ..." lol!

The breaking in period probably won't be easy for either one of you but stick with it. It is SO worth it. Here's to happy times ahead for you and Bennie.

Our dog did ok in a crate for short periods of time (1 hour or so) when we first got her. We quickly learned, however, that there is no crate that can hold her. First, she learned how to get out of the plastic one. So we locked it down. She chewed through it. So we got a metal crate. She learned how to work the lever on that one. So we resorted to putting a lock on it. She bent up the metal on the floor of the cage and nearly dug a hole to China through our floor.

Finally, we just gave up the crate idea and built a big kennel in the backyard for her to stay in during the day when we're gone. We're all much happier. She has a heated doggy house, the kennel can be partially or fully covered depending on the weather, easy access to her favorite toys, and she's got a great view of the birdfeeders and squirrelfeeders to keep her busy. When we get home, she gets plenty of exercise running around the backyard and at night she curls up between us in bed. Awwww. I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Good luck with Bennie, Joe. He sounds like a sweetheart. Poor guy has issues because he's been traumatized. Hopefully, with gentle loving respectful treatment, he'll rebound and be the best friend you've ever had.

I rescue all our pets, too. Used to be a pure bred cat freak (still am actually) but have learned to adopt the ones who need a home and they make fantastic pets.

BIG kisses to Bennie! Please keep us updated on his progress. And how about a picture so we can all fall in love with yet another ABW pet.

Per your request. ABW, meet Bennie!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joe Lilly; July 11th, 2006 at 12:52 PM. Reason: forgot attachments
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

OH he is beautiful! Another baby to fall in love with.

Thanks for posting his pic Joe!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Aww at least he likes the camera! He looks like he's smiling there!

I hang out with crazy people!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

He looks like he's smiling there! [/QUOTE]

You and your fiancee are great I'm betting with lots of love Bennie will turn out just fine and get over his issues.
    My dog and cat were both rescued, too. They were just teeny when they were found and hadn't eaten for a while. Think the little girl doggie must have been beaten because if a person even raised their hand she'd lower her little head
    Good luck

The update....
    Well, as I had hoped, things are going very well with Bennie. I use a remote collar in tandem with positive reinforcement for training, and he is very very responsive to both. Amazingly, the car aggression thing is almost gone. You can tell that riding in cars isn't his favorite thing in the world, but he is no longer freaking out, going on himself or snarling and foaming at the mouth. He is EXCEPTIONALLY intelligent and very very sweet.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

How cute! Good luck with Bennie. Sounds like he'll be a good dog.

My husband and I have 2 cats; we didn't rescue them from the shelter, but I feel like we did rescue them in a way. The first cat (Einstein) we got from someone that worked with my husband; they always left their animals outside and never had them fixed. Their pets (dogs and cats!) had litter after litter that summer. The second cat (Tipsy) just showed up at my in-laws house. They live right on a highway that goes through the forest. So, not only did this tiny kitten have to deal with traffic, she also had all the bigger animals in the forest to contend with.

Best of luck Joe!!!
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Gorgeous pup! We rescue too, but I am not allowed to start on dogs until we buy our own house. I think it's wonderful, so many dogs out there just need the right person with a lot of patience. It's so nice to hear of someone taking the time and effort to find the great dog under the rough outside. Congrats!

After working with dog rescue organizations for a few years I've learned what I think is an important fact.

There are hundreds or thousands of wonderful dogs put down every day just because nobody loves them, so you can do just as good a deed by rescuing one of the wonderful ones. It's much easier, and just as rewarding.

I have two wonderful dogs. They both came to me with health problems, but they were friendly and nice from the beginning.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

There are so many pets who need to be adopted from shelters and rescue outfits. It's a shame not to rescue a pet if one wants one and can provide for it. It's the ultimate gift of love and life to these guys.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    Some dogs are better off being put down - for your wellfare, his, and that of anyone else he may come into contact with. I hope that you don't face a law suit because of your heart of gold... (I love dogs, but have had a bad experience w/ a rescue org & their lies)
    Hi, I'm a signature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast