Is this typical? Hosting commissions.
    Hi all.

Situation:
    Nice sale yesterday (July 9th) - dedicated server at aplus.com with $120 in commissions. I know, I know... hosting commissions are notoriously reversible, so I don't even keep my fingers crossed, but... Today (all of a sudden), my $120 were kicked into "Extended". A little weird for them (aplus or CJ?) to extend it very next day.
    I don't have much experience with hosting affiliates. Is this typical?

Thanks in advance,
    Kim.

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    In my experience that's not typical. But it may make sense. Usually my CJ hosting merchant (not aplus) has only extended sales from weeks before, and only when the sale is made from somewhere other than the U.S. and Canada. The AM told me that statistically these are much more likely to be fraudulent, and the merchant often can't call the customer up to verify the credit card because of prohibitive telecom costs and possible language barrier. So they extend these sales to give more time to determine if they are found to be fraudulent. In my merchant's case though, they don't extend these international sales until a couple weeks after the sale and often near the 10th of each month to avoid having them closed by CJ. I'd contact the merchant AM to see what's going on; maybe they just changed their policy and are extending all sales immediately. My other merchants who extend all sales generally don't extend until a lump procedure is done for all sales from the prior month, extending them soon after the 1st of each month.

Or in the case of another (non-hosting) merchant I have on CJ, all sales were suddenly getting immediately extended when they hadn't before. I asked the AM via CJ's internal mail, and he got back to me saying that they were changing the tracking procedures they had with CJ and it would be that way for a few days during the transition. Then, it went back to normal. Nice, because since then, a couple months ago, I've had a lot of sales and not one reversal.

*cross fingers that it'll stay that way*

Aplus always extends every sale for me. One of the reasons that I backburnered them. Not the best conversion for me either actually. YMMV, of course.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Thanks guys.
    As far as "extending" goes - if they extended it on 10th of this month, they won't be able to extend it for another month. So they better reverse it (if that's what it's all about) before the 10th of the next month, or it will lock. Correct?

If I have it correctly, the extensions are done month-to-month and not incremented. That is, if the sale is made anytime in July, regardless of when the merchant extends it, it extends through August and must be either reversed ("corrected") or closed by the 10th of the next month; i.e. September 10th. You can see why extensions are such a PITA. You may not get a July 1 sale's commission to close until Sept 10. 70 days later! But the July 31st sales on the other hand you only might wait 40 or so later to have closed. If I have CJ's system correct. Anyone disagree?

I never luck with hosting merchant, especially how to promote. any tips ?

Tip:

Try something else. Well, if you're a PPC marketer (especially), the web hosting sector is just very, very hard to get into. Ultra-expensive clicks and heavy saturation from the competition. I think the more successful hosting affiliates may be those with good comparison websites, or those with a lot of content that gets updated regularly. If you want to bust into that sector, you'll need a good plan and a lot of time and effort to develop it in order to set yourself apart from the vast competition.

Jeez... I'm on a hosting roll. Another $100 sale - this time iPower.
    Ah well... a minor adrenaline rush before they all reverse.

I hope they don't reverse, for your sake Kimberly. If you're using PPC or counting on this income for rent, you'll need to factor in the possibility of a high reversal rate and adjust accordingly. I assume that my earnings from hosting are perhaps 25% - 50% less than they look at first. But over time you'll get a feel for how each of your hosting merchants perform, of course.

Thanks Doggie.
    No, I don't PPC any hosting affiliates. Too much competition, the bids are way high. I promote them the old-school way - through banners on my sites.
    I'm a 4-bar CJ affiliate, but I don't count of this for paying bills, so I consider the reversals a "easy come, easy go". No sweat.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread