Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Argh! Pirates of the Carribean...
    Okay, so I did something different. Friday afternoon showing at 1:45 on the big screen. I told the entire office, sorry but no further work today. I took everybody to the movies. Popcorn and soda included. Most jaws dropped. Others figured I am nuts anyway.

The movie... I am very mixed. I enjoyed the first movie. This one did blockbuster levels of money, but leaves us all hanging for Pirates 3. Very lacking in actual plot, forced laughs, and do we really have to bring back EVERYONE from the first movie? lol

It was an enjoyable time. Not sure I loved it, but worth seeing on the bigscreen.

Pirates 3 better not let me down...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Can't wait to see it! Going Wednesday Although I hate to be left hanging. Wonder if they'll give Pirates 3 the full 6 month window before releasing it. Would be wonderful if they released it next month but that's not gonna happen. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

BTW - nice that you took the whole office to the movie - things like that breed loyalty. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Affiliates work in offices (which are not in their homes)?

AMs, sure. But affiliates?

*scrunches face is disgust*

Spacedog, affiliate income is only one small part of our operations. I used to work from my home/office but we grew and grew. At some point we had to move into offices as I couldn't have people working in my garage or living room.

I, we, do a lot more than just affiliate marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    BTW - nice that you took the whole office to the movie - things like that breed loyalty. :-)
    Was I trying to make the office happy, or was I doing it so I could see it and used it as an excuse? hmm.... YEA, office happy. That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Was I trying to make the office happy, or was I doing it so I could see it and used it as an excuse? hmm.... YEA, office happy. That's it!
    either way, it made everyone happy so you win.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Wonder if they'll give Pirates 3 the full 6 month window before releasing it. Would be wonderful if they released it next month but that's not gonna happen. LOL
    I heard that they plan on releasing it next summer... at least we don't have to wait 3 years again.

I saw it Friday night and was impressed and disappointed at the same time. The big difference that I noticed from the first movie was that it was a lot more dark... there were actually people dieing and blood. I don't know if I would take a young kid... they might get scared.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

Ryan, I took my kids to it, and they had no problem with it.

Since Pirates 3 was being filmed at the same time (much like LOTR 1-3 was done at the same time) they are ready to release it whenever they want to take advantage of more money.

"I heard that they plan on releasing it next summer... at least we don't have to wait 3 years again."

yeah that bummed me out. it was long but felt like i just saw 50% of the movie.

I seem to recall they did Back To The Future 2 and 3 at the same time. When you know you have a hit, it only makes financial sense to do them at the same time.

I've yet to go see Pirates 2 and the longer I wait the cheaper it will get as two of my four kids have already seen it with friends. Pretty soon it will be just the wife and me.

I do find it interesting that Johnny Depp used to only do certain types of movies, ones that let him stretch himself as an actor versus the financial end of things. Lately he seems to have changed (Chocolate Factory and three Pirate movies), but to his aclaim, it certainly has been good for his career. Frankly, my wife would go see him in anything after falling in love with him in Edward Scissorhands.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I saw it yesterday and was very disappointed. Honestly most sequels don't live up the quality of the original, and this movie stays true to form. The story line and dialogue where very poor in comparison to the original.

Just saw it and I loved it! What a ride! The makeup/special effects were amazing! Can't wait for 3!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I enjoyed the movie and I think it's great for kids because it has octopus monsters and lots of adventure *but* no gratuitous sex.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I enjoyed the movie and I think it's great for kids because it has octopus monsters and lots of adventure *but* no gratuitous sex.
    Octopus monsters are too cool. Ursula is my favorite Disney villain, especially when she's crawling across the deck of the ship - So wicked. These guys were wonderful - the breathing barnacles on their faces was too cool and that silly shell-head guy LOL

I think it might be a little too scary for very little children but OK for the 10 and up crowd.

Gratuitous sex involving Orlando Bloom wouldn't be all bad ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Not bad, but I think every movie over 2 hrs. should have intermission.

If anyone did'nt get enough "AARRRR's", they should check out this old movie I saw on TCM a few months ago.
    Blackbeard, the Pirate 1952
    It sets the gold standard for "AARRRR"

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    My husband took our 7 year old son and they loved it. Hubby said it was pretty good.

The 7 year is obsessed with the action figures from the show. He went and helped dad cut down some brush for an elderly lady down the road and haul the sticks away so we would order him the "Talking Black Pearl Ship" to go with his guys.

It came yesterday and the kid played nonstop with it for 7 hours (right up til bedtime), and it was the first thing he went to when he got up this morning.

It is pretty cool... close to 3 feet long, has a break away mast, side slides out so you can play down inside the ship, you can shoot the cannons and all kinds of good stuff.

He has about 3 more guys to get and he will have the full set of action figures.

He was looking online at KBToys the other day on the laptop and he had to ask me how to Sparrow (was looking to see what versions of Jack they had). I told him:

S-p-a-arrhhhh-arrhhh-o-w

He cracked up!

My secrets out, Yes... mom's a dork! *LOL* (hanging my head in shame)
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I don't want to seem like a wet blanket, but I don't like Pirates and think glorification of their lifestyle is bad. We have a high school down the road that goes by the name Kaplan Pirates. Remember what they did off the coast of Vietnam, and what they are doing right now to ocean shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I don't want to seem like a wet blanket, but I don't like Pirates and think glorification of their lifestyle is bad. We have a high school down the road that goes by the name Kaplan Pirates. Remember what they did off the coast of Vietnam, and what they are doing right now to ocean shipping.
    The Pirates of the Caribbean is a fictional story similar to the fictional "light opera" of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Pirates of Penzance":

Oh, better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part,
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart.
    Away to the cheating world go you,
    Where pirates all are well-to-do ...
    [1]
    I don't know if a pirate incident happened off the coast of Vietnam, but a real incident would not be connected to the fictional work of this movie.

Now, if the Hollywood producers trashed the beach while filming the movie then that would be something to be angry about.
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 27th, 2006 at 12:47 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I don't know if a pirate incident happened off the coast of Vietnam, but a real incident would not be connected to the fictional work of this movie.
    Here is an example of what pirates have done hundreds of times as the people of Vietnam tried to escape communist rule after the war.

Seaborne piracy against transport vessels remains a significant issue (with estimated worldwide losses of US$13 to $16 billion per year[1]), particularly in the waters between the Pacific and Indian Oceans, off the Somali coast, and in the Strait of Malacca and Singapore, which are used by over 50,000 commercial ships a year.
    Wikipedia

I understand it's art and mostly fiction, but it puts a positive slant on an evil lifestyle. Would we do that to drug gangs in the inner city? Probably. Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    I understand it's art and mostly fiction, but it puts a positive slant on an evil lifestyle. Would we do that to drug gangs in the inner city? Probably. Rant over
    There's probably literature/fiction about drug gangs in the inner city (if that's what you'd like to read) and there has always been a tradition of "glorifying" outlaws and a fascination with landless peoples and lawlessness. Related topics to the "noble pirate theme" would be works about Robin Hood, the idea of the Noble Savage, Gypsies, and the list could go on.

In terms of drug gangs and the inner city, music videos glorify these elements in popular culture and are filled with that imagery: just think of the popularity and controversy over Ice-T's "Cop Killer"

I'm not the biggest rap fan in the world, but I always thought this song from Wu-Tang Clan was cool:

Don't push me, because I'm close to the edge
    Livin on this thin line, I know the ledge
    Allegience I pledge strictly to my comittee
    Way above the law, we soar the inner city
    My crime pays, deep in the metro, nines blaze ...
    [source]
    There you have it: a hit song glorifying the violent life of gangs ("my comittee") in the inner city. Rap and Hip-Hop are full of imagery like this.
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 27th, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I love this forum. There's no other place where innocent discussions can completely spin off into something totally different in just a few minutes.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Ok as long as we are going off topic with this how about this quote from CBN.com (christian broadcasting network) about POTC 2

Pirates could be used in theological classrooms. It poses theological and moral issues in a positive way. It says early on that Jack Sparrow will end up doing the moral thing, and Elizabeth will turn into a pirate. It then asks, will Jack be good or bad? It discusses and demonstrates the Bible, salvation, self-sacrifice, redemptive activity and responsible, moral decision-making.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Pirates could be used in theological classrooms. It poses theological and moral issues in a positive way. It says early on that Jack Sparrow will end up doing the moral thing, and Elizabeth will turn into a pirate. It then asks, will Jack be good or bad? It discusses and demonstrates the Bible, salvation, self-sacrifice, redemptive activity and responsible, moral decision-making.
    Too many fathoms under the keel there me harty.

ABW Ambassador
    Can also be talked about in role play classrooms. Is Jack the bad boy girls want to tame? And will buying Jack Sparrow costume for Halloween get more girls? Or maybe they like him bad? Or really good with just a bad image?

"Don't push me, because I'm close to the edge"

Borrowed from the old school classic The Message by Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five sometimes w/wo Melle Mel or Duke Bootee (pirate term?)

Don't push me 'cuz I'm close to the edge
    I'm trying not to lose my head
    Uh huh ha ha ha
    It's like a jungle sometimes
    It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under

I saw the first one and have it on DVD, haven't seen this one yet and I guess when you do have to see the 3rd for the whole story.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast