Question Are merchants OK with removing the small tracking image, the one with width=1 and hei
    I am planning to implement URL redirects on my affiliate site.

This means that, instead of seeing the affiliatenetwork.com in the URL, visitors will see mysite.com/redirect_page.html

I am doing this because there are many tech-savvy people on the internet that dont like clicking on links when they see the affiliatenetwork.com in the URL (they either do a "view source" or look at the browser's status bar) and just leave the affiliate site when they see affiliatenetwork.com

Now the only problem that remains is that little 1 by 1 tracking image. That image has an src attribute which again contains http://affiliatenetwork.com ...

What is the purpose of this 1 by 1 image anyway?

Do merchants or affiliate networks allow you to remove this 1 by 1 image?

those are tracking pixels - for tracking impressions. I remove them more often than not. The merchants I work with don't have a problem with it, nor have I heard of anyone else having issues.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    those are tracking pixels - for tracking impressions. I remove them more often than not. The merchants I work with don't have a problem with it, nor have I heard of anyone else having issues.
    cool ... then I will remove them from my site.

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    We use the tracking to track uses and affiliates using particular areas or data. This is how we see a higher demand for a package, location, flight or any other variable where we could possibly increase its availability.

We know people cut them out, but we do not freak out about it since it makes your lives easier. However, it would be best if they were left in to help us adjust our inventory, strategy or resource investment when we see actions resulting from increased activity with regards to the tracking pixels. Therefore, we have new reporting to better use tracking from the site side so we are not dependent to link tracking.

I cut them out when I noticed that sometimes the image wouldn't show properly and there was an ugly white square with a red X in the middle - really messes the page up - and it's extra code you don't need, less important now than it was, but still of some consequence.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by jai @ Expedia(SEO)
    We use the tracking to track uses and affiliates using particular areas or data. This is how we see a higher demand for a package, location, flight or any other variable where we could possibly increase its availability.

We know people cut them out, but we do not freak out about it since it makes your lives easier. However, it would be best if they were left in to help us adjust our inventory, strategy or resource investment when we see actions resulting from increased activity with regards to the tracking pixels. Therefore, we have new reporting to better use tracking from the site side so we are not dependent to link tracking.

Hmm... , This might already be known to everyone: When I am testing my live website, I load and re-load some pages multiple times during the day.

This gives false number of page impressions.

I havent found an option in any of the Affiliate Networks, that allows me to block my IP address from being counted in the page impression.

There should be an option, if not a requirement for affiliates to input their development box IP address, this way, false impressions won't misguide or mislead merchants.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I couldn't care less what happens to the imp pixel, myself.

But I wouldn't worry about people seeing the source for the pixel--to see it, the person either has to check the page's code, or manage to land their cursor right on that exact pixel and hit "properties." If they're busy looking at your source code, chances are they're not remotely interested in buying anyway.

There should be an option, if not a requirement for affiliates to input their development box IP address, this way, false impressions won't misguide or mislead merchants.
    Some people still *gasp* use AOL or other dialup IPSs, with ever-changing IPs. So a requirement wouldn't work. But I suppose some might make use of an option.

Anyway, a few dozen reloads should really amount to nothing compared to the thousands of imps/day that are shown by most programs' total affiliate pool. At worst, it'll make your particular site look like it has a bit more traffic than it does, and over the long term it's pretty obvious when someone's spike of imps is really coming from development-phase testing (because they stop having so many imps very soon, and suddenly).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I couldn't care less what happens to the imp pixel, myself.

But I wouldn't worry about people seeing the source for the pixel--to see it, the person either has to check the page's code, or manage to land their cursor right on that exact pixel and hit "properties." If they're busy looking at your source code, chances are they're not remotely interested in buying anyway.

Some people still *gasp* use AOL or other dialup IPSs, with ever-changing IPs. So a requirement wouldn't work. But I suppose some might make use of an option.

Anyway, a few dozen reloads should really amount to nothing compared to the thousands of imps/day that are shown by most programs' total affiliate pool. At worst, it'll make your particular site look like it has a bit more traffic than it does, and over the long term it's pretty obvious when someone's spike of imps is really coming from development-phase testing (because they stop having so many imps very soon, and suddenly).
    Thanks for the clear explanation, now i understand the tracking pixel better now.

Its a good idea to put the imp track pixel anyway, it at least shows the AM that the affiliate has been working on promoting their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Some people still *gasp* use AOL or other dialup IPSs, with ever-changing IPs.
    This is a bit off topic, but when I see a comment like this, I have to respond. No offense, Leader. I just want to clear up something that most people with DSL/T1/cable commonly forget or misunderstand.

I think folks have this impression that everyone in the world or at least in the USA has high speed DSL/cable options for Internet access. That is completely false. Despite what the DSL/cable companies want you to believe in their commercials, the vast majority of rural areas in the USA do not have this option nor will they for many, many years - if ever.

These are the exact same people who shop online and are willing to pay FAR MORE than metropolitan customers to have their purchases shipped to them as a matter of convenience because the malls are many miles away and with gasoline prices continuing to increase it is far easier and less expensive even with expedited shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    I am planning to implement URL redirects on my affiliate site.
    Ah ... I too wanted to do this for the reason you stated and to help me with tracking, but SAS told me that a forced redirect was against their TOS. I'm not sure what forced means but my plan was to use htaccess since all redirects would be in one file and simpler to maintain. I'm not sure how the htaccess redirect differs from using meta redirects or a PHP script to handle it. They all seem forced to me.

What are you planning to use?

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread