Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Question Best Way To Point One Website To Another?
    I am curious about something.

A long time ago I read at WmW and a few other places that if you use cpanel for example, to park a domain and point it to the main domain on the account that it would transfer the pagerank from the parked domain to the main domain.

In this scenerio the parked domain used to be a full fledge existing website (website a). A new website (website b), based on the same topic was created. The individual wanted to do away with website one (website a), but not loose the traffic or page rank, they wanted to transfer it over to the new website (website b).

Time after time I read that all you needed to do is park "website a" on "website b" and the traffic would transfer, and so would the page rank.

I did this as an experiment and though the traffic from "website a" keeps coming to "website b" the page rank did not. Both domain names now have a pagerank of 0 (white bar).

Main search terms are so far down that I can't find them in Google, though many are number one on Yahoo and used to be top 10 in Google.

So, my questions are this:

1) Are both domain names being penalized for something?

2) Because the content is new are both domain names sandboxed?

3) Are there any more possible repercussions?

4) Is there a better way to achieve this?

About half the traffic to "website b" is coming from "website a", so it is kinda tough to unpark and remove "website a" at this time.

So, what are your thoughts on this?
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

bump
    ~Michelle

Google penalises sites that park or point one domain on top of another. They didn't once but then people were doing it to artificially increase PR etc so now it's penalised.

The only way (from a stand point of Google not penalising you) to park domain A on domain B and have the PR etc transfer is to do what's called a 301 redirect which tells the browser and therefore google that the original page/site has permanently moved to the new site.

301 redirect with PHP

PHP Code:
    <?
    Header
    "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );
    Header"Location: http://www.domainB.com" );
    ?>
    With a .htaccess file:

Code:
    Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine on
    rewritecond %{http_host} ^domainA.com [nc]
    rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.domainB.com/$1 [r=301,nc]

Ok, lets say I was going to use the .htaccess method.

Since website A no longer has a hosting package, would it work to create a virtual package off another site.

Such as:

domainA.anothersite.com with domain A's domain name pointing there? Or would that defeat the purpose?

And one more question. Once the pageranks transfers, can Domain A be removed and have the pagerank stick to Domain B?

Thanks!
    ~Michelle

I had a site get killed by Yahoo when using a 301 redirect a couple of years ago.

I am hoping it really is fixed, but I want to make sure before experimenting with this since my clients "site B" site has excellent Yahoo rankings. But a lot of their google traffic is coming from their site A url.

I found this from Yahoo claiming it is fixed:

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives...rect-rules.pdf

Can anyone confirm?
    ~Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    Ok, lets say I was going to use the .htaccess method.

Since website A no longer has a hosting package, would it work to create a virtual package off another site.
    You'll need it hosted somewhere. Google and friends wont be able to adequately redirect if there is nothing to redirect from.
    Such as:

domainA.anothersite.com with domain A's domain name pointing there? Or would that defeat the purpose?
    That probably wouldn't work. What might work though is if you "add on" domain A's URL to domain B and then 301 redirect it. It's a little complicated but if you have Cpanel as your control panel it's a little easier.

Step 1. In cpanel for domain B go to the add on domains section (assuming you have this option enabled by your host). In the fields there add on domain A to domain B.
    Step 2. Connect to the folder on domain B that hosts the "root" page for domain A. Add your .htaccess file in there 301 redirecting domain A to domain B.
    Step 3. In 3 or 4 months close down domain A or just leave it there as a 301 redirect as it wont be taking up that much space.

I should point out I'm not sure if this would work as I have never tried it but technically (theoretically) it should as it's a genuine hosting method.

Ideally though if you have the ability to host multiple domains on their own package - or even get one of those cheap $5 / month deals all you need is 1mb of space and next to no bandwidth. 3 - 4 months of that when Google updates again - they have just updated in the last few days - you should be able to close domain A off for good.
    And one more question. Once the pageranks transfers, can Domain A be removed and have the pagerank stick to Domain B?

Thanks!
    Yes. When domain B has its own unique PR domain A no longer serves any purpose as it has nothing added to it, or indeed no content in it to have google maintain it's PR. Over time the PR for domain A will go to 0.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread