Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I just talked to Brian Caldwell and he said that there is no sunset on the legacy links. CJ is going ahead with the LMI move.

From the floor of Affiliate Summit this is Chuck Hamrick reporting for ABestWeb Wireless News!!

Chuck,

I'm confused. There is no sunset on legacy links but LMI is moving forward? LMI is in big part about requiring JS links and removing the html links. It just sounds a little contradictory what Brian is saying.

Is he perhaps saying there is no time set for sunset? Basically, that is what CJ has been saying since they extended the deadline, but stating it will eventually happen.

I know you may not know the answers, but you might want to double check with Brian. Someone else today told me he said the same thing to them, "no sunset".

Thanks.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Yep, they are just playing word games trying to head off the current anger and bad PR. Once things die down and/or people get use to the idea, they will be doing just exactly what they originally said they would.

You had better be prepared. The devil will take the hind most.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I'm confused, too. This seems to be a "wait and see" proposition - actions speak louder than words.

"No sunset on legacy links".
    Somebody please decipher this gibberish.

A) They are going to keep the HTML links up indefinitely

B) They are going to get rid of them at some point

0R

C) We'll give you six months notice if and when we decide to get rid of them (right where we are now) but we're not going to make any kind of statement now.

Sounds like he said something without saying anything.

ABW Ambassador
    So there really is no update because I can't see spoken word. And I just logged in getting a link and it still defaults to javascript and when I click over to get html it says"

"For a limited time, you may access legacy code for this link by selecting the 'Access Legacy Code' button below."

Limited time. That's the official at this point. That's on the site. which > what an employee says at a Summit. And if this was a firm decision to keep html then they would post it or notify merchants.

My take is that they will not require affiliates to only use javascript. That means you can keep your legacy links and not be forced to change them. As mentioned in the original thread nothing is certian until CJ puts something in print.

I hope this takes some of the pressure off of affiliates. Let it settle, make no changes at this point and focus on the things that are making you money now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I hope this takes some of the pressure off of affiliates. Let it settle, make no changes at this point and focus on the things that are making you money now.
    Been the plan ever since they announced LMI...staying the course.

Thanks, Chuck, for your Summit report. Was not trying to put you on the spot, just noting that what you are hearing (and passing on) just is not clear. Guess what we all want is an email or posting at CJ with a statement...you know, like the ones they do to annouce phases of LMI.

Don't have too much fun down there and remember your cab fare (private joke).
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I'll take this verbal with a grain of salt until I see it in writing. Wait and see. But, I assume there will be no html links available when you join a new merchant program?
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    "But, I assume there will be no html links available when you join a new merchant program?"

There's html available for all merchants. That used to be the plan for new merchants after June 23rd, javascript only. But they backed off of that plan and new merchants have html too. And now I think eventually there's a good chance they'll back of making javascript the only option, they've gotten too much heat and this move doesn't attract affiliates and merchants, it pushes them away to their competition which hurts their pocketbook. And they might also just keep going with the LMI plan to make it js only, just pushing back the date, who knows, time will tell. But I still like to see official messages. I don't get excited by unofficial spoken word. At this point, officially the plan is to still do away with the html links at sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Trust; July 11th, 2006 at 02:41 PM.

"My take is that they will not require affiliates to only use javascript."

But they still require affiliates to jump through two hoops to access html links, making it much more time consuming. Ease of link retrieval was one of their major advantages over other networks for years. This inconvenience is probably already having a negative impact on many of their clients in terms of reduced exposure on affiliate sites.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thank you TrustNo1 for your post. I thought I had seen a post similar about being able to still use html links for new merchant sign ups but then when I wanted to find it later couldn't find where it was. A couple of the sites that had transferred to CJ from Bfast(Partner Gateway or whatever it's name is lol ) I had to get the links for and when I did there wasn't the ""For a limited time, you may access legacy code for this link by selecting the 'Access Legacy Code' button below." like with the older sites. Since I read your post now I went to try it again. Guess the magic thing to do had already been posted but I didn't know what it was. First time I had chosen a banner and a text link. That didn't give the option for html. Only when I just chose to get one link by itself did it give me the option. I'll have to go change some of my links now that I know how to get them but least I know now. Thanks Agree with others that I'm happy to at least have the option of getting the html links but being on dial-up does take me longer to do it.

ABW Ambassador
    [QUOTE=
    I hope this takes some of the pressure off of affiliates. Let it settle, make no changes at this point and focus on the things that are making you money now.[/QUOTE]

That brings me even more pressure. It is like you received a death penalty but you don't know when is the time to say good bye to the world.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Chuck, did Caldwell refer to the html links as "legacy links" or is that your choice of words? I'm asking because referrring to those html links as "legacy links" would be a pretty good, albeit subtle, indicator of CJ's attitude toward html links. (Kind of a Freudian slip, you know?)Did Caldwell indicate when this decision will be put in writing on CJ's site? I will believe it when I read it...maybe.

I just got back tonight but here is what happened.

I happened to be sitting outside of a session working on my laptop and saw the thread. Brian walked by and I asked him if he had a minute. It was my choice of words to use legacy links and he referenced a couple of blogs but I didn't make note of them.

NoWires, I hope that CJ doesn't make affiliates jump through hoops to get links they have been using for years. That would be a no win for affiliates!!

ABW Ambassador
    NoWires, I hope that CJ doesn't make affiliates jump through hoops to get links they have been using for years. That would be a no win for affiliates!!
    Chuck, we are having to jump through hoops, even today. I went to get a couple of product links for a merchant for a new site (just a couple to fill a void) and gave up. You have to click on a red link from the page where you get links in order to get the HTML links, since JS is the default, and after clicking there's another screen that pops up with the same "official" message about the change coming - and it being temporary, and you then have to click on that to get to the HTML links.

So that's two extra clicks to even get to where you can get an HTML link in addition to clicking for links to begin with, and then the "button" to select and copy does not work any more for HTML links. They are making it very inconvenient to get product links, and *maybe* I'll believe they've changed their minds when there's an official statement.

It's like "ouch" on the wrists to get even a few links, and the sensible thing is to log off and head over to the other networks - which is exactly what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Chuck, we are having to jump through hoops, even today. I went to get a couple of product links for a merchant for a new site (just a couple to fill a void) and gave up. You have to click on a red link from the page where you get links in order to get the HTML links, since JS is the default, and after clicking there's another screen that pops up with the same "official" message about the change coming - and it being temporary, and you then have to click on that to get to the HTML links.

So that's two extra clicks to even get to where you can get an HTML link in addition to clicking for links to begin with, and then the "button" to select and copy does not work any more for HTML links. They are making it very inconvenient to get product links, and *maybe* I'll believe they've changed their minds when there's an official statement.

It's like "ouch" on the wrists to get even a few links, and the sensible thing is to log off and head over to the other networks - which is exactly what I did.
    Your detailed explanation is exactly my frustration and my scenario. BUT I also found another glitch. I often select several ads for a merchant and then click the Get HTML button for all of the ads and choose which ones I want to use from that page since I can see ALL of the link text. I then choose encrypt link and the website I want the code to be placed on.

What I have encountered many times is in the highlight code section the links to the landing pages may be different but the anchor text (link text) is exactly the same even when the sample link above shows it is suppose to be different. I've contacted several merchants about this but no one responded. I've used two different computers and ISPs, and the results are the same. It's extremely frustrating so I just head on over to my new LS or SAS. It's a shame really. My CJ account *WAS* doing quite well and I liked seeing it grow every day.

p.s. .... If I choose multiple affiliate links and click the Get HTML code, I am not given an option to use HTML links. I am forced to use legacy links. I also tried to have the code emailed to me hoping it would come across correct, but that didn't work either. Anyone else seeing this?
    Last edited by ocs94; July 13th, 2006 at 09:45 AM.

What I have encountered many times is in the highlight code section the links to the landing pages may be different but the anchor text (link text) is exactly the same even when the sample link above shows it is suppose to be different.
    I've typed in my own anchor text in those situations. I can never tell if its a flaw or if they want us to put our own anchor text.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Quote Originally Posted by suzigeek
    I've typed in my own anchor text in those situations. I can never tell if its a flaw or if they want us to put our own anchor text.
    Hi suzigeek. How do I do that with javascript served links?

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    I'll take this verbal with a grain of salt until I see it in writing. Wait and see. But, I assume there will be no html links available when you join a new merchant program?
    Join a new merchant and find out and let us know what happens.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

How do I do that with javascript served links?
    Sorry I haven't tried the new javascript links. I'm mostly database driven with cj and banners. You can get html ones still I believe after they serve you up the link page there's a link below the javascript code window to choose html.

Its been awhile since I've gotten links I've been phasing CJ out and focusing on indies, sas and adsense!!
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

So was Brian Caldwell's statement a clever trick to cool the flames of outrage coming from ABW and other places? Or did I miss some announcement that they've officially backed down from mandating javascript links at some point in the future?

Good question, I saw his comment posted in ABW, asked him if it were true. Was told yes and that I could post that. Now I hear that I am a rumor whore.

Guess its better than being an adwhore!!

I'll believe it when I can retrieve a real link without having to jump through hoops like a trained seal.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast