Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Hi -

I've got a miserable computer problem over here - I have a laptop (Compaq Armada M700) and was just trying to get it to work with a a docking station, new mouse, and new keyboard.

It seemed like everything was going OK, but after Windows loaded, the mouse (a Logitech optical mouse) started going nuts and launching programs until it crashed my computer. It would let me restart, so I turned everything off and restarted that way.

After that, whenever I'd try to boot up, I'd get a message, "Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer." But it wouldn't let me restart.

So I unhooked everything and rebooted the laptop by itself, and it let me start in Safe Mode. But I couldn't find anything wrong. I poked around in all sorts of places to try and fix the problem, and then rebooted.

This time, it let me launch Windows in the regular mode, but my screen was no longer taking up my whole screen - it's only about halfof the screen, and the # of colors is only 56 or whatever is lowest.

I don't have the option to change this. I've run ScanDisk and nothing turns up. So now I have this mini screen with almost no colors, and I can't seem to find my way back to normal.

HELP! Does anybody know how I can fix this. I'd be in heaven if I could just return to the configuration I had 24 hours ago, but I have no idea if I can even do that.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom

ABW Ambassador
    A possibility: somehow the wrong graphics driver got selected (even if you didn't change that setting) or that it got corrupted. Can you verify via the control panel (display > settings > advanced > adapter) that the right driver is selected?

Just a possibility.

And there might be something wrong with that mouse. If you have any others it might be a good idea to use them until you know the machine is working again.

I

Cedric - this may sound stupid, but how do I know if the right graphics driver is selected.

Icicle - I changed out the new mouse early on, and have an old one there.

Shawn
    ClubMom

ABW Ambassador
    >>but how do I know if the right graphics driver is selected.<<

Now you're in a dangerous area... when you go through the steps above, you'll see a "change" button next to where it displays the graphics driver being used. Click the "change" button and it's a "wizard" that should search your hard drive for the correct driver and install it. That may work, may not. It could fix everything or make matters worse. Sorry.

You may be able to find, online, what driver your configuration is using (if it's standard from the manufacturer)... or call the manufacturer and describe the problem and have them attempt to diagnose the problem.

ABW Ambassador
    hold the phone... looking at the compaq site, it looks like Windows XP is standard with your model... if that's the case, keep in mind that I know NOTHING about XP.

ABW Ambassador
    try this page for scads of info from Compaq... I don't know if your answer is in there, but there is information by the tonnage.

Thanks Cedric - I have Windows 98. I'll check out that info area on Compaq.

Shawn

I'm on the road to recovery - I dug out a "system recovery" CD and it seems to have done the trick.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get this docking station and optical mouse to work.

Have a nice weekend!

I would delete the old mouse driver before you put it in the docking station.

Shawn,

Many, Many times the docking station does make the whole computer go nuts and 99% of the time it is because of the mouse settings of the machine ... if you go to control panel and change the mouse settings to both the port and touchpad you should have no problems, also update the mouse driver.

You can confirm this by plugging the mouse into the note book and seeing that it works.

HTH

Haiko

Hi Haiko -

Thanks for your post - I was pulling my hair out with this stuff. I have the mouse working fine now with a direct connection to the laptop. I have some wireless network stuff I want to install, so I think I'll make sure that's all OK before venturing back into the docking station. :-)

Take care,
    Shawn

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread