Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Tracking Outage Message At CJ
    CJ Account Manager Tracking Outage

On Sunday, July 9, 2006 from approximately 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. PDT, tracking within the CJ Account Managerô was temporarily interrupted. We are aware of the outage and are investigating the matter in more detail. We will post updates to the site as they are available. Thank you for your patience.

Oh yes, I'm sure it was only down for a mere 1.5 hours. snort

Still waiting on word on why my order from a couple weeks ago didn't track.

Tracking outage... but tracking was not affected.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Gee .... does this have anything to do with the DNS issues Tuan has been writing about

Yeah what about June 6th? I have 3 transactions that appeared in the new performance reports that didnt track anywhere else!

What about all the problems my merchant has been having with transactions not posting at CJ?

The 9th was a good day for me... I wonder what else is missing?

This is just too funny. Almost better than a good suspense novel. I can't wait to get to chapter 12.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

At this rate, it might end with Chapter 11.

:-)

+1 for Bethany....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    Yes, I think I'm going to decrease my minimum payment amount.

.....but they said they were going to investigate the outage and let us know, but it seems the outage WAS done on purpose to change servers and reboot as discussed in this post:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75654

What do you think, would they be trying to decieve the affiliates, or is it juat that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing. I know I called about all banners gone, and all links going nowhere, I'll bet lots of affiliates did.
    Last edited by SALocalcom; July 11th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin-1752[url="http://www.salocal.com/goldwing/goldwing_tech.htm"][/url]

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    I'm truly flabbergasted. In effect they actually admitted that "Tracking was affected"! Would be nice if they truthfully admitted the actual amount of time it was down; 1.5 hours seems implausibly low, based on timestamps of people's ABW posts about the outage. If they intentionally took servers down to change DNS, there are several things which any half-witted company execs and IT personnel who are the even least bit professional would know to do:

1) Warn their clients and customers days in advance;

2) Do it at a time when it would have the least effect (perhaps Sunday night/Monday morning at 3:00am Pacific time);

3) Make every attempt to set up redundancy so that the changeover will not affect their most important operations (i.e. serving of click redirects and tracking of sales in CJ's case). If this means physically setting up redundant servers elsewhere temporarily before the changeover, so be it. DNS is a tricky thing, but companies with anything even in the ballpark to the volume of clients CJ has (and whose tracking system is so important 24/7 to its revenue) will find ways to mitigate these circumstances.

I'd be shocked if CJ did this intentionally. But at this point, who knows what they are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    I'd be shocked if CJ did this intentionally. But at this point, who knows what they are thinking.
    Ok, I'll give a little, though my tendancy is negative where VC is concerned, it is possible that durring the switch over, something went wrong and they had to shut it down and reboot. Considering the amount of time that went by, the restart could've gone wrong too. That would explain why they don't want to tell everyone that they messed up. That's my optimistic side, cutting them a break, thinking they really wanted to make the change without telling anybody anything.

......and then again, I've been in tech companies where the engineers do their assigned task without telling other departments anything. You might be surprised how often different departments in corporations don't communicate with eachother. Doesn't make any sence, but happens frequently.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin-1752[url="http://www.salocal.com/goldwing/goldwing_tech.htm"][/url]

To their credit, in the many years with CJ I only recall two times they admitted to tracking problems, both short periods.

However, that is the only times they admitted it and came after there were many posts here asking what was going on.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bethany

:-)
    LOL - Good one Bethany!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

My monitors show them being down from 6:45pm - 8:37pm PDT.
    What kind of math makes 1 hour and 52 minutes equal to an hour and a half?

I guess I'm just glad it didn't happen in the middle of the day.

Looks like they used the word "approximately" to cover that.

But thanks for pointing that out because it was closer to two hours of lost sales than one and one half hours of lost sales and that could be significant to some affiliates should CJ decide to reimburse us in some way.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I guess they're still investigating. Message hasn't changed. Maybe they should read here, I think it was figured out.

ABW Ambassador
    I was not paid for May commissions because betweeen the 6th and 12th of June the current balance and the pending commissions in the reporting tab changed from day to day and then stopped below the threshold although I earned a lot more $$. Although I send a question to their AAA department I got no answer on that. I experience a lack of clicks and sales since that time until today, so I think that the outage still is not solved and occasionally ongoing.

roland
    Last edited by Roland; July 17th, 2006 at 06:09 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I guess they're still investigating. Message hasn't changed. Maybe they should read here, I think it was figured out.
    Does anyone know whether CJ personnel actually read this board?

It's well noted here that CJ employees read the messages here. Such is the case with employees at most networks. I've often heard employees tell me when I call in with a support question, "Yeah, I read your post today about that."
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Speaking of CJ reading posts, Hey CJ, it's been over a week since your outage and no information from yo regarding why there was an outage, what is being done to prevent it in the future and how you are going to reimburse us for our lost commissions. What's up????
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Ron,

I think the new TOS covered their backside on that...they don't have to do a thing. Don't you love the NEW CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    Updated:

"On Sunday, July 9, from approximately 7:00PM to 8:30PM PDT, tracking with the CJ Account Managerô was temporarily interrupted. This outage occurred during a scheduled upgrade to our network infrastructure and resulted in an interruption of Internet traffic to Commission Junction tracking servers. A portion of image serving, click processing and transactions were not reported and therefore not recorded by our system.

We were able to quickly restore the system. Since the system has been back online it has continued to operate normally and we do not expect any further side effects. Over the last year we have made a significant investment in improving the overall performance and reliability of our system. The purpose of this specific network infrastructure upgrade was to improve system reliability and redundancy, thus reducing the likelihood and severity of outages in the future. Furthermore, this outage was unrelated to any recent changes to the CJ Account Manager and its associated components.

All of us who rely on the Internet for our business operations understand that outages do occur and cannot be completely controlled, even with the best redundancy measures in place. We continue to do our very best to ensure that our solutions will scale and have extremely high availability. When the unexpected does occur we have worked hard to develop back-up procedures that will minimize impact to our clients. Our contingency measures include making systems changes, like this one, during times when system utilization is slow, to minimize the effects of any disruption. In the case of this issue, we have determined that the actual unrecorded transactions were minimal."

Oh and my balance just dropped too.

ABW Ambassador
    We waited a week for this BS!!! Frankly, I think they are lying. If they were being truthful, they'd have said this a week ago.

And how in the world have they determined the actual unrecorded transactions were minimal?

And not even an apology. Shameful CJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    And how in the world have they determined the actual unrecorded transactions were minimal?

And not even an apology. Shameful CJ!
    Exactly my thoughts... statistically they're probably right, but minimal to who? Outages should be expected on rare occasions, but I agree they should have been a bit more apologetic.

If it was so minimal, they should have no problem paying an average of the commissions of same time period on Sunday for the previous 5 weeks.

They paid out compensation for an outage like this before, in mid-2004 I believe.

There is no reason they should not do the same here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast