Pending Applications
    Why do merchants wait so long to review pending applications?! I have several that have been pending since June 3rd. I also have several pending from more than 2 weeks that are NEW merchants.

This really is discouraging when you are trying to help them sell their products and know you easily can.

ABW Ambassador
    I had one that took a year and a half.

boydbri
    Two weeks is an unreasonable time to wait for your application to be approved, but since July 3rd is not. Merchants are manually approving applications for a reason, and that's to make sure affiliates joining their program are clean. Typically I look at each site to see if it matches what we're looking for, review it on siteadvisor.com and review it on alexa.com. With the 50 plus applications that we get per day this process can take awhile. I think most affiliates appreciate when the merchant takes the time to review sites in their program thoroughly. I'm sure this merchant will get to your application shorly.

boydbri
    Sorry I misread that June 3rd is unacceptable as well.

I still have an application pending as far back as Oct. 22, 2004. I emailed CJ last week on this. Today, I received an automated email saying that they haven't forgotten about me and that they are working on an answer. Maybe I'll get approved or declined before I actually get an answer from CJ.
    Last edited by dpl882; July 11th, 2006 at 07:17 PM.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    I still have an application pending as far back as Oct. 22, 2004. I emailed CJ last week on this. Today, I received an automated email saying that they haven't forgotten about me and that they are working on an answer. Maybe I'll get approved or declined before I actually get an answer from CJ.
    Or maybe die of old age before you get an answer from CJ.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I've had some pending for as much as two years (I just wanted to see if they ever approved them). Sadly, some merchants don't really work at running their affiliate program and let it run on autopilot, never checking their CJ account. I finally had to contact CJ and ask them to manually remove the applications as I was not able to do so.

Regarding CJ support, they are running up to two weeks behind at the moment, I suspect overwhelmed by affiliates and merchant support tickets due to LMI. Call them if they don't get back to you.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Call them if they don't get back to you."

CJ and those merchants aren't worth my time on the phone, unless there is $ I am owed or tracking issues I can prove.

I have one that I have been waiting on for quite a while, too (since Oct. 2005). It would be nice if we could expire a pending application like we can with existing relationships. I can wait a couple of weeks for an answer to my application, but this is ridiculous. Either accept or deny my application and move on. I could have given birth to another kid by now! Is it bad that I could create a whole human being in less time than it takes for them to approve my application?

Quote Originally Posted by boydbri
    Two weeks is an unreasonable time to wait for your application to be approved, but since July 3rd is not. Merchants are manually approving applications for a reason, and that's to make sure affiliates joining their program are clean. Typically I look at each site to see if it matches what we're looking for, review it on siteadvisor.com and review it on alexa.com. With the 50 plus applications that we get per day this process can take awhile. I think most affiliates appreciate when the merchant takes the time to review sites in their program thoroughly. I'm sure this merchant will get to your application shorly.
    and what is the purpose of checking a site on alexa.com?

Quote Originally Posted by boydbri
    Thanks for the tip regarding siteadvisor.com. I didn't know about this analysis tool and it really helps to understand what CJ merchants are looking for. If I may, can I ask you questions since you are an affiliate manager ...

When you research a publisher's account, do you have the ability to look at all of the domains listed in the publisher's account or just look at the first one (the company name/URL on the account).

The reason I ask is sometimes when I apply for an affiliate program, ie. food related and the name on my account is web hosting related, I am rejected for reasons that are not clear. I am just wondering if all merchants realize that there are other websites listed under the primary company name that could be an exact match for promoting their products.

boydbri
    ocs94,

To answer your question---When you research a publisher's account, do you have the ability to look at all of the domains listed in the publisher's account or just look at the first one (the company name/URL on the account).--

Merchants do have the ability to look at all the domains listed in the publisher account. If there's a lot I usually pick the ones that best match our site. If I don't find a match but your sites are strong I would probably email you to see how you planned to promote us.

Thanks for the info. That was what I was hoping!

boydbri
    Herb,

On Alexa I usually take a look at the sites traffic rank, what sites link to it, and if someone has made a negative comment about the site.

On Alexa I usually take a look at the sites traffic rank,
    But don't you have to install a BHO so that Alexa can track that traffic? I know I stay away from BHOs unless they fufill a legitimate need. Also how do you know how many people thaqt really surf a niche have this installed and are alowing it to report "home"?

It just seems a bad way to base part of a decision on.

The Alexa Toolbar is a free search and navigation companion that accompanies you as you surf, providing useful information about the sites you visit without interrupting your Web browsing.
    So wouldn't that skew the stats?

Curious,

Brian

The Alexa toolbar is commonly used by techies and marketing people so by itself it is not a viable tool to judge the popularity/traffic of a website visited by regular consumers. I have also seen the 'reviews' module abused by competitors or the site owner fakes his/her own reviews or sends his/her friends there who have never made a purchase to write a good review. In other words, you cannot rely on the reviews alone.

It does give you an idea as to the traffic a techie website receives from techies/marketers that have the Alexa toolbar enabled. Now for hosting, web design, computer software, hardware, etc the data might be more relative than say a site mainly visited by normal consumers like gourmet foods or baby products. These types of sites are visited mostly by the average consumer who have never heard of Alexa.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread