New here: Trying to learn about work flow!
    I have been dabbling in affiliate programs now and then for the past 10 years or so, starting with Amazon way back when. Now, I'm starting a new site and getting a little more serious about the whole thing and I'm glad I found this site.

My main question is: How do most people create their affiliate links? Do most of you log-in to Linkshare, CJ, Amazon, etc, and create all the links manually?

My site deals with specific product recommendations and my main hangup about Linkshare and CJ is their complicated linking system (and their fairly slow websites).

Are there software packages available to create links, especially when the links aren't the usual banner ads, but one-time product links?

ABW Ambassador
    For product links using datafeeds, check out Webmerge:

http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194

You can hunt with a rifle (hand made pages)
    or with a shotgun (datafeed pages)
    But you need to add a unique angle, gimmick, or content (especially) to do well.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I think this is one of the hard things about being an affiliate. It really comes down to making a process, making it repeatable, and effective in web design and SEO. In business school they say to break down jobs into parts that are about equal in time or effort so that you can do them seperatly and move the order around. So if one step is ridicously long, break it into smaller parts. I usually try making a page with the best practices and tools I know and time the steps. Then I see how long the whole thing will take for the number of pages.
    Is this doable?
    Is it worth my time?
    Do I need to reduce time?

If you totally understand the whole process and where you are it is easier to not get buried and lose direction. Learn to save time with macros in photoshop and excel, excel shortcuts, web design program, templates, global search and replace... Keep reading here, Many people know lots more than me.

From reading and searching these forums, it seems to me most people are doing one of a few things:

1) Sites using the premade offers/banners/promotions given to all affiliates.
    2) Sites using datafeeds to create "stores" containing the affiliate store's products.

I guess very few people (who make a lot of money), if any, direct people to ONE specific product on a site. For example, a good deal on a CD player.

Is this fair to say?

>>>2) Sites using datafeeds to create "stores" containing the affiliate store's products.<<<

it is also possible, using certain software, to make a page or three or 10 with the data from a datafeed, but each page contains a number of products. this can also be placed in a page with copy and other links.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Well you can do all of those types but you need traffic to make generic links or banners work. Do you have this traffic already? If not how can you get it?

Individual products can work and even make the traffic if you are good at SEO. Or you can buy PPC advertising if the click cost is low enough or you can find relevant words that are low enough.

GL

ABW Ambassador
    Advice I need to take myself: work on promotion and sales every day until you've made your first hundred grand from affiliate marketing, then take a month long break. Repeat, if desired.

My problem area is "every day". I have a bit of ADD.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread