New to CJ, Please Help
    Hello,

Im new to the CJ world. I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions. First of all, can you actually turn a profit using google adwords to market products? If yes, what is a good way to pick a product to market? In addition to that, I have noticed that the Keyword links generally go to a stores home page. If I wanted to market an individual product, would I be able to use the http:// portion of a text link without the image url? I know that CJ says that tracking wont work if you dont have all of the code within your link. I did try using just the product url portion of the code and it seemed to track the clicks, but without any sales yet, Im apprehensive about paying for overly expensive hits to test this theory anymore.

Thanks for any Help!

John

Welcome to ABW, John.

To answer one of your questions: CJ's merchants may have individual product links you can use -- you have to look there.

Re CPC, I don't do it yet but I note there are many cautions about it and that it may be best to do some careful homework.

Some here remove the image tracking portion of a link set but isn't it important to know a link was seen?

Yes, adwords is a good way to turn a profit with affiliate programs. However, you just seemed to have stepped into it at the most inappropriate time. Google (as of yesterday) has implemented a new quality score algorithm for landing pages.

What's this mean? Unless you build a site deemed suitable by G, you're likely not to turn a profit at all, but take a good hit in the wallet. Keywords have increased to rediculous amounts (like 5-10 dollars a click). This isn't so that G makes more money, but simply to keep the low-quality sites out from their system.

You can read more about it here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...259#post584259

Don't forget about the other ad systems out there though. MSN is doing somewhat well for me, although it doesn't get as much traffic as some of my Adwords campaigns.

Anyway, hope that helps a little. Good luck!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. The google thing is right on time knowing my luck! My main question now is, will sales track if I only use the product link and not the image url? This seems to be the only way to market through adwords.
    http:// www. someproduct.com/click-000-000
    (Will This Work)

I think you're talking about the tracking pixel image? the one that is usually only 1x1 in dimension? If so, then yes, you can take it out without any affect towards sales tracking. Those 1x1 pixel images are only used for tracking impressions.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Very Cool!
    Thank you so much! Your a HUGE help!

no problem, I hope it works out for you!

Take care.

1 more question
    Since you been using the adwords method to market products, maybe you could answer this. Do you see more same day sales from hits, or does it take return visits via cookie tracking from previous days to see the sale. I guess the simple question is, how do the sales generally come in?

ABW Ambassador
    I also started looking into adwords today although I did try it about a year ago & got put off as I forgot about my campaign and came back a few weeks later to see a huge bill.

Now I would like to experiment a bit but I wonder if we will be affected (us new adword users) by these new changes because from what I read it would mainly affect established users? Another question is; I would like to know, if I did have good landing pages then I will not be affected, right? What is regarded as a good landing page in Adword terms anyway?

I get both. More often than not, a sale is posted the same day (visitors buy when on the site for the first time). However, I do see the occasional visitor who arrives after the initial visit to purchase products.

ABW Ambassador
    can someone point me to any good adwords sites/articles?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread