Ad Rotation for AdWords
    I have looked over my settings a bunch of times but my ads don't rotate as they should. I have some A/B landing page testing going on, and have created 2 ads that are the same except for the URLs. Now according to the campaign level setting the ads should show each about half the time.

The ads rotate like I have asked google to show the best one most of the time. I have multiple set ups like this trying to improve my landing page quality but am getting no where. My Google help email was about 24 hours ago so they might solve the mystery.

Surprise! No response from Google yet. Is anyone else seeing this. Is their a phone number for Google?

What do you mean ad rotation? Any intro?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Be more specific please. You said the urls are all that's dfifferent... I assume you mean the destination url, but my answers would all be different if you meant the display url. Which is it.

And if you want to a/b test the landing page - and you want G to show the 2 ads 50/50, you need to do the opposite of this - "The ads rotate like I have asked google to show the best one most of the time". One of the two ads invariably gets clicked on a tad more just by chance, G thinks it's superior cuz it's CTR is higher and it shows it more often. If it's just the destination url that's different - and you're A/B testing landing page conversions for instance - you want the 2 ads to be identical (including display url) and you want to turn off the automatic ad optimization rotation so G doesn't errantly bias your tests by delivering lopsided data sets sizes.

If it's just the destination url that's different - and you're A/B testing landing page conversions for instance - you want the 2 ads to be identical (including display url) and you want to turn off the automatic ad optimization rotation so G doesn't errantly bias your tests by delivering lopsided data sets sizes.
    Yes this is my exact set up, and the ads should show 50/50, but they act like I have rotation on.

So you have this - ad serving / Rotate: Show all ads equally - selected and you're looking at a data time frame that only covers the period when this option was selected?

Remember, it's showing them equally, but given that clicks / CTR is a fraction of the total impressions, you can get some variation from the 50/50 mean. Get enough data and it should eventually return towards the mean (rtm). Like flipping a coin 10 times might get you a 2/10 heads, but flip it 10,000 times and you'll rtm. Remember, the uncertainity of the timing of a click means your more likely to statistically vary from the mean just due to chance. The system doesn't try to even out clicks, just steadily shows it on a roughly equal rotating basis.

You're going to need a LOT of clicks before you should statistically guarantee that you'll rtm.

For your a/b tests, you should be able to normalize the click data even if there's somewhat of a non-mean imbalance in imps and clicks since the uncertainity involved in their delivery / exposure is not implicitly pinned to a dependent variable in your experiment (other than those under test by design).

The system doesn't try to even out clicks, just steadily shows it on a roughly equal rotating basis.

You're going to need a LOT of clicks before you should statistically guarantee that you'll rtm.
    "Ah So" as Charlie Chan would say. I guess I was looking for 50/50 when 40/60 was the best available.

For your a/b tests, you should be able to normalize the click data even if there's somewhat of a non-mean imbalance in imps and clicks since the uncertainty involved in their delivery / exposure is not implicitly pinned to a dependent variable in your experiment (other than those under test by design).
    So 100 clicks at 40/60 with ads A/B should give 40 clicks to page A and 60 clicks to page B if both pages performed equally, and variation figured from there.

Thanks,

Correct. Ratios will still be meaningful.

Hope you've got more than 100 clicks before passing judgement. I'd recommend 300 as a min and get over 500 if at all possible. The lower your conversion metrics, the more data you need - if this is a unique or high priced item, head towards 1,000 clicks/visitors. And consider outlier data points with suspicion (if studying rugman data, a $15,000 rug sale would skew things by being possible, but an anomolyous event).

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread