Southern California Fires!!
    I just helped my mom evacuate her house out in Morongo Valley due to the Sawtooth and Millard fires today. It's pretty nuts out here. The smoke can be seen from as far as an hour or two away and they've barely got any containment. We're currently safe in Palm Springs, but it's getting nasty around Morongo Valley where I grew up. We loaded up 3 cars with her cats, computer, stereo system, clothing, collectibles, etc. Just as we finished the fire department came in to tell us to make room for the fire trucks. Driving around town we could see people scrambling to stuff things into their cars, loading up horses, and watering down their roofs. The fire has already scorched 37,000 acres and has been going strong for 3 days now. Last I heard it was about 15% contained and the top priority is just saving lives. Temperatures are expected to reach as much as 120 degrees tomorrow and Friday so any chance of rain is non-existent. I just hope she doesn't lose her house. Wish us luck!!

News link: http://www.thedesertsun.com/

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Update:

"The governor would like to tour the area once its contained so his presence would not interfere with the fire fighting efforts," said Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's office spokesman Bill Maile. "The governor was fully briefed today and will continue to have regular briefings."

Hard to imagine Schwarzenegger visiting my home town of 1,500.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    We were about to buy a lot and build a home in Yucca Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    We were about to buy a lot and build a home in Yucca Valley.
    Fortunately Yucca is safe, but who knows what will happen at this point! I bet you're glad you didn't buy that land now

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    I hope your mom's house is okay. That fire is a really bad one. I hope they get it contained soon. If you need a place to store some of your mom's stuff I have some extra room in my garage.

Good luck Snib.... We're thinking of you and your mom...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kip
    I hope your mom's house is okay. That fire is a really bad one. I hope they get it contained soon. If you need a place to store some of your mom's stuff I have some extra room in my garage.
    Thank you for the offer Kip, it's appreciated! I think we're okay for space at the moment, but we'll keep you in mind. I didn't realize another ABWer lived in Palm Springs, where are you around? I'm over in the north end of town by the ex-Riviera.

- Scott

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yikes - sure hope your mom's house is spared, Scott. So Cal fires are scary. Just called my father in PS. He's far away from the flames thankfully.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Sorry you and your Mom are caught up in all of that. Must be really scarey. Please stay safe and hope your Mom's house survives it. The most important thing is that she and her pets got out safely but really hope her house is spared.

That's a huge fire! Glad your away from it. I lived across the valley directly west from Los Alamos NM when they had there huge fire in 2000? I think.

They went on a witch hunt to find what caused it and it turned out to be a forestry worker!! Threw some burning papers out ...DUH...everthing was dry as a bone. I believe she was prosecuted

The smoke was so thick a couple of nights I thought about leaving my house and camping somewhere (There was huge BLM land behind my house where you can camp and hike)

It was so apocolyptic as the WHOLE mountain range was burning. I believe that fire was 42000 acres.

Hopefully the winds won't kick up although a fire that big creates its own.

Stay safe

added:to bad I can't send you some of our torrential downpours we've had here in ohio
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Scott - Hope all is well with your Mom's house - Glad you were able to get her, the Cats and many of her possessions out of the line of the fires.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

There are air quality warnings here in Vegas today due to the fires...I can't imagine what it must be like in CA right now.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Thanks for all the support guys!! It looks like my mom's house should be okay according to the news. Now they're worried the wind will blow the fire West towards Big Bear. I heard yesterday that it can take a few days to reach Big Bear but at this rate it very well could happen, ouch!

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Scott,

I was out today and saw the smoke. It was amazing. It looked like miles and miles of smoke along the ridge. I'm glad your mom's house is okay. I live in CC off of Date Palm.

Until your post, I didn't realize anyone else was out here either. After everything settles down after the fire, how about we get together for lunch one day?

There is now another fire about 5 miles from the morongo fire. It would not be good if they meet up. I hope the winds blow the right way and they both get contained soon.

Hi all,

I live in Fontana, work in Ontario and can see the smoke for miles. It just looks horrible. Hope they can get it under control soon. Haven't seen the news, is it moving towards any homes?

April Ezell
    Affiliate Manager
    Hubcaps.com Affiliate Program
    April@hubcaps.com
    800-826-5880 / 909-983-8414
    MSN - Hubcaps.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    The smoke has been wafting over the hills for several days

the papers say that people with heart conditions (Me) and people with asthma (my son) have to stay inside

dang! I DID stay inside - and I STILL got all the symptons they mentioned I might get

I just got off the phone with my mom and she's home now. She may need to leave any minute, but she told me the fire came within a couple blocks of her home. They're still fighting off some nearby hot spots. Just before I got off the phone she said CBS news was on their way to her house. So maybe she'll be on the news tonight.

- Scott

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread