ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation Too Bad about the Datafeeds...
    In the last few days I have been looking to get datafeeds from everything from golf to rugs but each time there is always something wrong or missing from the datafeed. This is often either one of the following:

* No Category (most datafeeds have no categories or are all the same like all products have the same category which is as good as none)

* No Brand, the products need to have a brand included

* The datafeed hasn't been updated for several months. This is the first thing I look at, if the feed is not been updated regularly then I won't even look at it.

Some other things include but not vital are, so much wasted data, there are often several fields that have the same data throughout and is just a waste.

I would strongly suggest to SAS merchants that they get the datafeeds they have in much better shape if they want affiliates to use them, I have only found about 1 out of 10 datafeeds usable. Its no different elsewhere either, I also checked out some other networks offering datafeeds and they were worse in most cases.

If you do offer a datafeed with the following then please contact me as I will turn it into a site with traffic:

Includes Brands
    Includes Categories
    Regularly Updated
    Datafeed checked for errors

Look forward to hearing from you.

You'd be surprised how many times I've contacted a merchant about problems with missing categories, etc that they've corrected the problem. One needs to speak up to be heard.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes that is true, I also contacted merchants in past and most co-operate. Would be a lot easier if they just got it right at the start though.

glinted take a look at my datafeed if you like....download it....its got custom columns as well
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Clyde, thank you, I did join & downloaded the datafeed and it looks like a great feed but unfortunately I don't think its compatible for the current system I'm building some sites for. I may use it for another system that I will go back to soon. The reason is that the titles are often duplicated and not unique plus there is no brand as such. Otherwise it is a good datafeed and I'm sure it works well for others. As I said I will look into using it on another system later, thanks. I will add your links to one of my other discount sites now and may bring some sales for you...

thank you glinted...... there is no brand cause they are flowers

the titles are duplicated as the same product is used in different sections such as an anniversary or a birthday!

Cheers!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

ABW Ambassador
    Ok thanks for explaining it, yes I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    thank you glinted...... there is no brand cause they are flowers
    Give it time... http://inventors.about.com/od/biopatents/

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

ABW Ambassador
    I just want to add that a brand field is good but if there is another filed like a subcategory etc then I can use that instead. I guess as long as there are categories then that is the main thing.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi Glinted,
    Check out our feed, We also have sub categories, (custom columns) that seperate the product according to material used, gem stone, product (ie Ring, Necklace, earring)

WE don't have brands as its jewelry and Nice Jewelry!

Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager

Fine Diamond, Sapphire, Ruby
    Gold, Silver & Platinum Jewelry

Richard@gemdreamz.com
    Gemdreamz.com
    Join Program

ABW Ambassador
    Richard, thanks, I will have a look at that soon.

Just while I'm here, here a link to a good article I came across before: http://www.web-procreate.com/datafeed_standard.htm

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Just while I'm here, here a link to a good article I came across before: http://www.web-procreate.com/datafeed_standard.htm
    Yes, it is a good one. There are also numerous threads right here at ABW about what datafeeds should be/look like, and what they shouldn't...

Geno

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread