Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Google's AdWords landing page quality update - What we can do!
    Google's new AdWords update and its extraordinary negative effects on so many advertisers over the past few days is just not getting enough attention. I have been reading through marketing blogs, financial sites and SEM sites and this story has thus far stayed buried other than on a few forums. It needs to be brought out into the open so Google is forced to face the far reaching effects of its AdWords "landing page quality update" and own up to the update's clearly demonstrated flaws.

I feel that Google needs to be outed to the extent that shareholders take notice of what's going on with Google's business practices made evident by this update. Pressure on Google should give them reason to rethink this strategy and roll the system back to where it was before the update, while devising rational strategies to combat the bad apples that Google has stated it is trying to target: those who cheat the AdWords and AdSense systems for personal gain, producing landing pages with no benefit to anyone but themselves.

There are other ways that Google can stop pay per click arbitrage and "Made For AdSense" websites in a much more appropriate manner than trying to have an algorithm decide what constitutes "relevant and substantial content" for searchers after they click on Google's paid ads. Why not change their Terms Of Service to disallow bidders with these types of sites from advertising with Google, and then police the advertisers and shut down those that don't comply? Why play this game of arbitrarily increasing bids 2-fold to 50-fold their previous values, thereby shutting a large portion of honest advertisers and merchants out (many of whom have spent years developing and streamlining their paid ad campaigns with Google)?

Here's something we can do to potentially help in getting the story out. I don't usually ask publicly for people to take action. But if you feel as I do that Google has made a monumental mistake, please go to this site and read the article it references:

http://digg.com/tech_news/AdWords_La...using_Epidemic

If many people "digg" this article using the "digg it" button (granted, the article it points to is a bit short and it doesn't mention the related ABestWeb threads, but nobody's perfect), then it will get more and more attention and hopefully start showing up on the first page of digg.com where millions will read it.

For those of you wondering: yes, you have to register as a digg.com user in order to actually "digg" a story and thus raise its number and resulting visibility. It's free to join. Digg is a well known user driven content site (see http://www.digg.com/about for more information) and its user-submitted articles can get a lot of traffic and exposure. I should point out that I have no affiliation with digg.com or the writer or web publisher of the article, but I think the PPC community needs to stand up to Google after its recent AdWords update. This is a good way to begin to get the word out. If anyone has a more informative article on this same subject to submit to digg, by all means submit it and let everyone on the forums know its URL!

There are other ways to get this out, e.g. issuing a press release on some of the major newswires and perhaps it will get broad exposure that way. However this will cost money, and I'm not one to ask people to spend for this cause.

Thanks for everyone's help.

AdWords "landing page quality update" and own up to the update's clearly demonstrated flaws.
    Where can I get the update to read what it's about?

bumpaw,

I think you might be confusing the AdWords landing page update with user-installable updates (like Microsoft security updates for Windows XP). The landing page update I'm referring to is not something that advertisers can install or remove; it was put in place over the last few days by Google itself to fundamentally change its AdWords system's functionality.

With this update, an algorithm (supposedly with a degree of human intervention, but I'm not so sure) judges advertisers' landing pages and based on some arbitrary "quality score", determines whether keywords will be allowed to remain at the same cost per click. If not, the system deactivates and then hikes up many of the advertiser's best CTR keywords to an impossibly high rate in order for the affected advertiser to reactivate manually. These rates seem to be arbitrarily increased to $0.50, $1.00, $5.00, or $10.00 depending on the original cost, and are generally from 2 times to 50 times their original costs. Most are in the 10x to 20x range, in my campaigns. See this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=75677

I think you might be confusing the AdWords landing page update with user-installable updates (like Microsoft security updates for Windows XP)
    Noop I knew it wasn't like that. I thought it was a published set of rules from Google that you were talking about.

the system deactivates and then hikes up many of the advertiser's best CTR keywords to an impossibly high rate in order for the affected advertiser to reactivate manually
    I don't think this is new. They have been doing it for a while. It doesn't bother me as my landing pages are relevant with decent CTR. My only problem is getting a good ROI and Google's prices aren't my main problem.

You're one of the lucky ones after this recent update. Advertisers continue to fall victim to this left and right with no rhyme or reason as to why. Just simply having good landing pages does not necessarily protect you. My AdWords clicks are down 99% since 48 hours ago, and my landing pages have converted well for months (good conversion should logically equate to relevant content).

You're one of the lucky ones
    My turn will probably come. I looked throug AdWords just now and no trouble yet.

I am plowing through that long thread you linked to, and I now see what you are talking about.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread