ABW Ambassador
    Most things I hate about affiliate marketing
    List what you hate about this business. Here is my top 11 (not in any specific order):

1) Network changing link structure (hint: LMI)
    2) Merchant switching networks
    3) Datafeed link going to home page
    4) Coupon or promotion without an end date
    5) Merchant reducing base commission and introducing commission structure
    6) Merchant removing link
    7) SEs jumping up and down
    8) Google charging $10 minimum for every keyword I can think of
    9) Merchant sending blank file for datafeed (Befree, Linkshare)
    10) Network promoting adware, spyware etc.
    11) Merchant promotion listed in network interface, but does not work

Pay too much tax.

Anything that blocks me from my ultimate dream!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Smile
    Gee, I hate nothing about it.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

Not knowing when I am going to waste a lot of time with a dud merchant.

To discover that I have wasted a lot of time on a bad converting merchant, (because out-of-stock, out-of-season, tricks-at-the-check-out-page, ect.) and not been able to find a good replacement for all those targeted product pages that are now getting a lot of hits.

Not knowing how long a good merchant will last.

To know that I have done a good job optimizing one merchant datafeed in order to have unique product pages, and then when I see that I am getting good conversions from that merchant, that merchant decides to discontinue to offer an outside datafeed, or worse yet, they close-shop for one reason or another, and not been able to find a good replacement for all those targeted product pages that are now getting a lot of hits.

15 years and counting
    I hate the bad image given to Affiliate Marketing by all the parasites, BHO's, spammers...
    I hate networks promoting questionable advertisers, adware, spyware...
    I hate magazines like Revenue relaying as acceptable these bad activities...

Merchants who completely remodel their site the day after you finally update with a feed that took a whole day or more to clean up, and all your traffic lands on a dud page.

Then shortly after doing it all over again with a new new feed, you get the email "Yay! We're moving to another network! Isn't that cool! Be sure to change your links!"
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Merchants who completely remodel their site the day after you finally update with a feed that took a whole day or more to clean up, and all your traffic lands on a dud page.

Then shortly after doing it all over again with a new new feed, you get the email "Yay! We're moving to another network! Isn't that cool! Be sure to change your links!"
    Merchants who actually think that "by tomorrow" is a real time frame. They think we are sitting around waiting for them to change things because we have nothing else to do.

Not having a definite ammount in your paycheck - it's hard sometimes when the SE drop a site and your paycheck goes down.
    Ebudae

7) SEs jumping up and down
    10) Network promoting adware, spyware etc.

Merchant signs up as many affiliates as possible and advertises "parasite free" then a few weeks later start working with blackhat affiliates, parasites, etc.

Merchant heavily pushing specials, sales, etc. for serveral weeks, then after all that work, merchant closes program.
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants who get pushed around by networks not realizing the real power they have.

edit and Adwords.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Changes
    When I was much younger, I dreamt about one day building / owning a business that once I got it set up, it would go on forever. No more worries, no more anxiety, no more unpredictable changes and the money would never stop coming.

As I got older and more experienced in the wonderful world of business, I came to realize that for any business to continue to be successful and grow, many changes along the way would always be required.

Adapting to new markets, regulations, increased competition, office overheads, tax fluctuations, government contributions, rising advertising and promotion costs, changing media and media policies, shipping costs and logistics, ever - changing customer service needs, technology, hiring - training and maintaining work forces, government policy changes, health care, interest rates, mortgage woes, travel costs, materials costs, payroll costs etc etc etc etc (you get the idea)

Regardless of the type of business each of us chooses to pursue, each has its own set of challenges. Whether we grow, stagnate or close the doors is determined by how we handle change and overcome new challenges. This latest challenge again throws a temporary obstacle in the path. But each time we overcome another obstacle, we grow and understand better (than the last time) that free enterprise means constant change.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

One GOOD thing about being an affiliate is that theres millions of different products to promote, and different ways to promote them.
    An affiliate can change direction better than a merchant who is commited to selling buggy whips, slide rules,typewriters, or whatever.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread