I Trapped a Masked Bandit
    We have been having a squirrel feeder on the Oak tree in the back yard, and something had started raiding it in the night.

We put our trusty armadillo-raccoon trap below the squirrel feeder on the ground and baited with corn. The first night we caught a fairly sweet opossum, and the second night we caught this bad boy.

He was a very heavy critter compared to the armadillos and very mean tempered. He jumped at my hand every time it got near him. Check out all the grass and dirt he drug into the trap over night.

We brought him to the grandkids house to let them see him up close and watch the release. Notice the release is at their house which is also in the country like us. While I'm struggling to let him go without loosing a finger, some bubbas stop in the road. They holler, "Let us have him so we can let our dogs kill him". After telling them to keep moving we let the raccoon go. He did 100 fast yards without stopping till he hit the woods.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haven't you ever heard of barbeque?

CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Thanks for letting him go Bumpaw - poor thing is just trying to survive. Makes me sick that someone would want to let their dogs kill it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Smile Ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    Haven't you ever heard of barbeque?

Are you running a roadkill restaurant?

I caught and exported another raccoon this morning. Anybody know of a SAS merchant that sells that Havahart trap?

I had 5 grandkids and their Mom and Dad cheering from their porch as the bandit headed South. I am not positive that this is not the same coon. He tried to bite me like the first one.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I hope you have a pair of gauntlets (which are better than nothing). You probably already know that raccoons are a major carrier of rabies, right? You might also want to check with your state's DEP to find out what if any restrictions there are on racoons. Where I come from it's against the law to relocate them across property lines.

Good on you for letting him go
    Hi,

I'll just add my 2 cents worth. I'm glad to hear you released him too.

Won't he just come back?

Most animals are territorial. We have a lot of people asking us (member of a wildlife rescue group ) to relocate possums, (Australian) but it is actually a slow death sentence for them ( and illegal to trap or kill native animals in our state - without a permit - $10,000 fine or ten years in jail). Don't start me on dogs and wildlife or people who keep vicious dogs.

Just interested in the havaheart trap, we use one called an elliott trap to collect small animals (non possums) and then take them for a ride up the hill in the morining to release them.

I know this is off topic for affiliate matters but I have had hours reading through the Google issues and needed a break.

Its good to hear from someone with a heart
    :Todd:

ABW Ambassador
    We used to have a raccoon as a pet. My dad found it when it was a baby. It was really fun and playful. He used to ride around on my dad's shoulder - and would go with my dad when he went out on errands. He also used to ride on the dog's back. A really cute, sweet animal. It was always into something. It was the nosiest little creature I've ever seen.

I hope you have a pair of gauntlets (which are better than nothing). You probably already know that raccoons are a major carrier of rabies, right? You might also want to check with your state's DEP to find out what if any restrictions there are on racoons. Where I come from it's against the law to relocate them across property lines.
    Nope no gauntlets here. I had to look that one up. Law? This is rural South Louisiana. We just do what seems right and don't worry.

Won't he just come back? Most animals are territorial.
    I thought he might be the same one. I brought them to my daughter's house both times about 2 miles away, and they all say that they were different. My wife says the personalities were different.

The Havahart trap is available online and is widely used in the US at least. I got it for Armadillos that wreck the yard. Works great on opossums too. I dread catching a skunk.
    A really cute, sweet animal.
    Being nocturnal they are rare to see except as road kill, but are abundant. They are nice in the trap until you put your hand near. Then it's a miny grizzly. It takes time letting them go without getting a finger chomped.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've caught a few critters like that. I always take them wayyy away.

Coons sure do let you know not to mess with 'em, don't they! But the worst thing about the last one I caught wasn't his trying to bite through the cage (although he did try). He peed in my car (through the floor of the cage). The back seat stank for months Thankfully, it was my old car, and now someone else is probably wondering what that still-a-bit-off odor is.

Strangest thing I ever caught in one was a mallard duck. The feeder had been getting raided, so I baited with birdseed since that was obviously the popular food. I was figuring on catching a squirrel sometime during the morning, or maybe a racoon as a bonus. The next day I was reminded that ducks are birds too!

Her mate was standing protectively nearby, and I was glad he didn't attack when I went near the cage! I released the duck where it was, since I like the ducks, plus they don't raid the feeder (they just clean up under it).

He peed in my car (through the floor of the cage). The back seat stank for months
    Bummer! I use the truck.

This one somehow reached the carrying handle around the finger guard. He took that handle and bent it pulling one end loose. It looks like that would be impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    This one somehow reached the carrying handle around the finger guard. He took that handle and bent it pulling one end loose. It looks like that would be impossible.
    Poor baby was just trying to survive and proved his resourcefulness. I always start thinking they have a family and are trying to get back to their babies or mom or whoever. LOL - Gives me way too much (if that's possible) compassion for all living beings. Kindness at all costs ...

Can everyone tell I'm way over-the-top-Buddhist? I belong in another Utopian world ... earth is killing my spirit!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Internet Cowboy
    We have had problems with racoons and I don't live in the country. They get in to the garbage, they have set up homestead in my outdoor shed, we even had to chase one out from under the eve of the house where the cieling of the screenroom butts up against the side of the house. They are pests.
    I don't have guns but have threatened to take a baseball bat to them, of course my GF is a carbon copy of Rexanne and would never allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I don't have guns but have threatened to take a baseball bat to them, of course my GF is a carbon copy of Rexanne and would never allow that.
    - a good woman ... she'll keep you from generating bad karma Unc!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Here's the deal. We have one squirrel and a feeder to hold him in our few trees. I get to watch him and he earns his keep that way. The raccoon comes at night and cleans the feeder so the squirrel won't come. So he is evil because he thwarts my plan.

We are surrounded by sugarcane fields, so I figure gently relocate him to a place he will like better. I chant softly as I load him in the truck repeating ahumm, ahumm, and his karma is repaired.

Scooter get a live trap and bait with corn. Your GF will surely understand moving to a place with less car traffic.

Originally posted by Rexanne I always start thinking they have a family and are trying to get back to their babies or mom or whoever
    This time of year I believe the young would be waiting around the trap and I would let her go. They stick so close I have seen entire families dead on the road in one spot. Very sad indeed.

Internet Cowboy
    Here is a story of a raccoon that went down causing lots of problems. It sounds to me like he got FRIED!!!

Sorry...I'm a little late to the thread.

I wonder - if you're concerned about being bit perhaps you can go to your local vet and get a ion for acepromazine? I'm not sure if it will work in racoons but if it does it will tranq them out long enough for you to get them moved and released. I used to use it for my dogs when they were still learning about things like lightning, car rides, and grooming shears.

Plus it's VERY hard to overdose an animal on ace so you don't have to worry about killing the little buggers.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

I wonder - if you're concerned about being bit
    Not really as my hand is never near the critter's mouth. I jam a pipe in to hold the door open a little then get back. Both times they hit that crack and force the door open, and then they warp speed away from us. Same for opossums but they waddle off.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Poor baby was just trying to survive and proved his resourcefulness. I always start thinking they have a family and are trying to get back to their babies or mom or whoever. LOL - Gives me way too much (if that's possible) compassion for all living beings. Kindness at all costs ...

Can everyone tell I'm way over-the-top-Buddhist? I belong in another Utopian world ... earth is killing my spirit!
    You and me both, girl!

I love all animals and hate to see them hurt - I know how vicious trapped/cornered animals can be (esp. coons) but he (the raccoon) looks so cute and furry and innocent in that cage.... makes me wanna go home and hug my cats!! lol

Good to know you use the trap/release method of dealing w/ their antics bumpaw... time consuming and frustrating as I'm sure it can be.

I bet your grandkids loved the experience of watching you let him go into the 'wild' and will never forget that day long as they live.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Not really as my hand is never near the critter's mouth. I jam a pipe in to hold the door open a little then get back. Both times they hit that crack and force the door open, and then they warp speed away from us. Same for opossums but they waddle off.

I'd pay to see a possum waddle away.

Quote Originally Posted by eGazer
    Good to know you use the trap/release method of dealing w/ their antics bumpaw... time consuming and frustrating as I'm sure it can be.
    He's either back or it's number three. There's an ongoing family discussion over whether it's the same one. The first 2 times I went about 2 miles, but this one will get a longer ride just in case. They want me to spray paint his tail, but I don't like that idea.

Feed the Racoons TOO..... I DO.....
    I throw out all my scraps in a bucket in the woods... come back the next day and it's clean...
    Sometimes I sneak out at night and watch them eat........

AND ALSO...
    HOW DO YOU TRAP AN ARMIDILLO....???
    I have tried before and they won't go in the live trap...??
    What do you use for BAIT....???

Armidillos are one of the few animal's I don't want on my place...
    They rip my lawn up all the time...

HOW DO YOU TRAP AN ARMIDILLO....???
    I have tried before and they won't go in the live trap...??
    What do you use for BAIT....???
    I have caught 17 in the last year without bait. I put one corner of the opening right against the edge of the holes they like to go in. The trap is about at a 45 degree angle with the plane of the opening of the hole. I have read that baiting with a container of earth worms works, but haven't had to try that.

If you don't have a hole to set buy try guiding them with some planks. I should go pro. There's a fellow in Florida that charges $50 for each one he catches.

Ahhh... earthworms...

I don't have a hole to prop my live trap up against...
    They just come out at night....

I used to have a hole and I just started filling it with water every other day or so... and he moved on... then I filled it back up... LOL...

My dog likes to chase them at night... but he doesn't stay out all night...
    and if you have ever seen an Armidillo RUN... they are pretty darn fast critters........

Thanks for the advice.. I'll try earthworms next time.....

You're a better man than I...we had like 15 mice living behind our microwave so I started catching them with glue-traps. They were less lucky than your racoon...

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread