(2006) Why your balance at the top goes up and down...
    It's that time of the month again, and we'll certainly see multiple comments regarding the balance fluctuations and discrepancies between reports. For those of you new to this or those with short-term memory loss, this is due to the commissions being moved from "locked" under Pending Commissions to "commissions" under Current Balance. Some sales stay in limbo for a short period of time (hours, not days) and then everything settles out. Nobody is crediting you with mysterious sales, and nobody is taking any away. We really should have a sticky for this...

I'm fairly new to this and thanks for the explanation. My balance at the top went up $90 from last night but I cann't tell why. It doesn't appear to be any new sales. At least CJ's reports don't indicate it; obviously I cannot depend on them anymore. I printed my summary commission yesterday and this morning everything is all weird. Does this mean I should completely ignore the balance at the top because I don't really have the extra $90 I'm seeing today? This is so discouraging.

I like to challenge myself by trying to set a new goal each month. I"ve got high hopes by the time we reach the Christmas season. How do I really know then if I'm meeting these goals if the number at the top isn't reliable?

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. I logged in last night to see my balance shown as double what I was expecting to see... did a "WTF!!!!!????" there for a second.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Good progamming FTW!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Bye Bye $90 ... I just logged back into my CJ account and that mysterious $90 is now gone and the numbers have all changed again ... LOL! What a mess.

What date during the month does this typically happen and for how many days?

Quote Originally Posted by ocs94
    Bye Bye $90 ... I just logged back into my CJ account and that mysterious $90 is now gone and the numbers have all changed again ... LOL! What a mess.

What date during the month does this typically happen and for how many days?
    Starts around the 12th or 13th and continues for up to 7 days or so, but the bulk of activity is usually done in the first couple. Note that transactions stuck in "Locked" by the 20th are amounts not paid by the merchant on time. They'll get paid in the following month if the merchant catches up with CJ. If the same amounts remain for months, it's usually time to drop the merchant.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    The balance keeps going up and down because the company is ran by a bunch of Yoyos!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I don't ever recall seeing such unexplained fluctuations in my account before. In the past, a sudden drop was always accompanied by a reversal to account for it. Not so here. Things seem to be settling down now however (I hope).
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

This happens every month (hence my attempt to head off the several threads that are started each month around this time), and has happened for what must be a year or so. The balance will go up and down while transactions stay in limbo between pending commissions and current balance. Should they have something to keep the balance stable while this is going on behind the scenes? Yes! But nobody is taking money from you.

Don't feel bad about the phantom $90.

I logged into Linkshare once to find about $4.2 million in sales for my account. That got fixed real quick, though.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see "ups" but I do see "downs" every month between 15th-20th. Because cj is processing my commission check(usually get them around 20th), for a couple of days, you will see about half of your commission on the top is gone, and yet the "payment status" hasn't showed the current month. First time I got really mad and thought about some fishy things going on...now I get used to it and just relax for a couple of days and a check will show up on your mail slot.

//test - please disregard this message//
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thank you for this sticky. I'm sorry about my post I fired off this morning about this very thing. I didn't see it. I still have wierd balance, but many of my numbers looked right be the end of the day. I still have no idea when and how much I am going to get paid, but I'm glad to see this is somewhat normal.

Great to sticky this, I've always wondered why it went up and down and asked a few other people in other forums. Initially I thought I was doing something wrong and all my commission was being taken away for something I did illegally. Now I know everyone gets this so it feels a bit better.

Same thing happened to my account few days ago. Balance went up $55 for a few hours and than went down again in the same day. I am sure CJ or some merchants are making money in some ways which can not be considered ethical. The only thing I experienced with CJ is untracked leads or sales and extended comissions witouht any kind of notification. And the worst thing is that they can not even give any kind of proof, logs or any other evidence that there is something wrong with your traffic. If you contact CJ about any problem they will simply give you the same automatic message which advice you to contact merchant directly.

I already closed my account with CJ and now It's time to close the other one which I operate with my friend for another site. Bye Bye CJ...enough is enough...

Thanks for the extra business then, Mybest. I have no problem with balances going up and down as long as by the 20th the balance I expect is paid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Thanks for the extra business then, Mybest. I have no problem with balances going up and down as long as by the 20th the balance I expect is paid to me.

But I never get what I expect

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    I logged into Linkshare once to find about $4.2 million in sales for my account. That got fixed real quick, though.
    At least you tried to cash out ?

ABW Ambassador
    The balance at the top is jumping up and down today. I am calling it the "CJ Dance".

When the locked commissions moves to status closed, that's when you see jump in your Balance, that's because, there is a lag between adding Closed (commissions) and removing locked commissions. So there comes a time when you have both locked and closed commissions for same transactions, CJ calculates the balance on both locked and closed commissions.

You would think a company as big as CJ would get it right
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

You know if at the end of the month i have earned $50.00 that is $50.00 I didn't have. Balances will always go up and down. We make sales, people return, that is the way it is and always be. I buy all the time online and I also return. I work hard, I think my advertisers see that??? But after all is said and done I still get paid. Commissions drop and commission raise, that would be affiliate marketing? So don't concern your self at the middle of the month when money is in limbo between locked and forgotten. You will be paid, be patient, don't look at your stats every 4 minutes.Grab a cup of coffee and keep working!!!
    You have a wonderful day!

ABW Ambassador
    I just logged into CJ and was a little disturbed to see my balance has dropped by a considerable amount and it is the 22nd (US time) so it seems a bit late for the balance to fluctuate. I was also paid for my monthly income around a week ago so it seems strange for it to change after payment. I also checked my reports and can not see any reversals for this amount and I don't expect any anyway as I can't remember transactions the same size as the missing money.

Can someone tell me if this is common for this time of month to change like this? has it happened to any others today?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    Ok update, it seems it is Performance incentives and I have started a new thread on this: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?p=899751
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I never had the luck of getting this mysterious amounts of cash in my account

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread