ABW Ambassador
    Alright I need to start researching this now. So come June, I'll be ready to quit my day job.

Anyone know any realiable places to get affordable health insurance for the self-employed???

Jada,

Try eHealthInsurance.com. They allow you to compare and browse health insurance plans based on your area. If you would like a link I have one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core

You might want to check out membership in NASE (Nat'l Assn for the Self-Employed) ... I believe they have health benefits available to members ... or some other type of association ??

p.s.... if you have health benfits under your employer, be sure to check on COBRA and/or state continuation of those same benefits - which should be available to you for six months are leaving employment... also, be sure not to have any lapse in coverage or no one will want to pick you up..

[ 03-18-2002: Message edited by: klynnnn ]

ABW Ambassador
    I went through this a few years back. And after researching, checking 10 million orginizations to join to get a discount etc.

I chose kaiser. Decent monthly, Low co-pay low prescription. They also do not have any screwball terms or weird restrictions. Watch out for the no name places.

Of course I barely use it - but then I have paid into car insurance for 18 years and never used that either - which I am supposed to feel lucky about, but I feel somehow cheated.

Chez

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    which I am supposed to feel lucky about, but I feel somehow cheated.
    Chez
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel the same way, excluding dental benefits which I've always used, I think I've filed one or two small claims in 20 years .... but then again, not having it just isn't worth it ....

When my father lost his job and my parents had to purchase insurance - to the tune of $300/$350 a month - it was a bit of a struggle, but after my mother had an unexpected $40,000+ operation and the insurance paid all but $800 or so, it was definitely worth it in the end [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks guys - that info was VERY helpful. I actually called and spoke with someone at ehealthinsurance and sent an inquiry to NASE. Thanks alot!

ABW Ambassador
    One more tip -- when I did this (10 years ago, so things may have changed), the local Farm Bureau (yes, Farm Bureau) had the absolute best deal.

No, you didn't have to be a farmer to get in (trust me on this one, I do not do farming and I didn't even know there was a farm bureau in the area where I lived) and they had, by far, the best coverage and best rates.

Like I said, that was 10 years ago, so things may have changed, but it's worth a look.

COBRA is required by law to cover you after you leave your employment. It used to be for 18 months; now I'm not sure. If you have to pay for your own after that, I highly recommend Kaiser. They are really excellent, at least in Colorado.

ABW Ambassador
    Our Cobra plan is $600+ per month. :eek: just found out that Blue Cross has a comprehensive plan for just $275 a month for the family that seems to be very competitive and has a low deductible. I'll have to check out Kaiser as well.

ABW Ambassador
    I checked out the site and they do not service my state. However, they recommended anyone from our state to contact a Blue Cross agent. Looks like maybe they are affiliated with Blue Cross too. So I guess I'm heading in the right direction. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think that's a great price for the BC/BS family coverage .... and considering it's popularity, you shouldn't have trouble using it anywhere ... was that for a PPO plan?

also, I used to have Farm Bureau auto insurance - I never knew they had health insurance ...

Good Luck.
    My family of three's policy costs me over $450.00 mo. thru HealthNet. and the premiun seems to go up $50 bucks or so every year. I'm looking myself to change policies, but so many want to stick a microscope up your !$$ before they'll even consider you.

On a broader note, it's a shame that health care is so expensive in this country. It really does not hurt me, but there are allot of working class folks who have to struggle to pay those premiums every month. It makes no sense to me that we are the most powerful and successful nation on earth yet we can't provide health care for our citizens. True our taxes would go up, but it would create a climate of fairer access for everyone. Then again I'm sure they can kill a few porkbarrel programs to cover the spread... what am I saying...not in my lifetime. Maybe they'll do that when they legalize weed.

ABW Ambassador
    I found a group plan through the Chambers of Commerce starting from $335 - $475 per month for my family. Hopefully I can get the plan for $335 but they said the rates are changing in July too. As long as your a member of the chambers you qualify for it. They don't ask any health questions. It is called Community Health through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Also, Blue Cross has one on it's own called Complete Care which is only $275 per month for 80/20 coverage but the deductible is $250 per person per year with an out of pocket cost of 20% up to $1,000 per person per year until your covered 100%.

ABW Ambassador
    Jada, check out a fee for services plan. I'm sure if you search online you'll find several.

they are generally under $50/mo for family and some include dental/prescription/vision

your out of pocket % is a bit more and you have to go to a network doctor, but it is a much more affordable way to go.

Good deal on the Chamber group insurance -- usually large groups/organizations have some type of insurance coverage available to its members, always worth checking out ...

I was discussing our group policy and rates this morning with our agent, we were paying excessive premiums because of my boss's health conditions, he passed away in February so now we're looking for ways to avoid the excessive premiums they added to all our insurance because of him (he'd had cancer three times in the past) ...

And, our rates increase yearly also ... coverage for me, a single member, female, with maternity (oh yea, like I'm going to use that now), is about $470/month -- that's just for one person! So that much for a family is a great price, at least I think so!

I'm SO glad my employer pays our health coverage in full [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Smile Cheap and Affordable insurance
    Hello, try checking out this site, might help you with your concern

[I'm a spammer and I've been banned.]

I was amazed with the premiums I was quoted on. The entire quote was
    automated, simple questions and straight forward answers.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; September 9th, 2005 at 06:22 AM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    The tax advantages of an HSA are great for the self-employed.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread