Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ebay display URL
    Are we still allowed to use ebay as display URL's in our ppc campaign. I don't bid on ebay keywords or variation of it but use ebay as my display url and got a warning from CJ on trademark infringement.

What display URL would you use if you don't have a website and only use ppc and ebay flexible destination tool as the only mean in promoting ebay as an affiliate?

Anyone?

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by mdaisy
    Are we still allowed to use ebay as display URL's in our ppc campaign. I don't bid on ebay keywords or variation of it but use ebay as my display url and got a warning from CJ on trademark infringement.

What display URL would you use if you don't have a website and only use ppc and ebay flexible destination tool as the only mean in promoting ebay as an affiliate?

Anyone?
    Well that is a pickle. We are experimenting with this as well. I tried putting my domain in and was rejected by Adwords. The only one they accepted was ebay.com (since that was the eventual landing site) and I see many, many others doing the same.

Could it be that you have a broad term match that is showing up under copyright protected keywords that you are not aware of?

I know two cases of publishers that had their commissions collected back due using ebay.com in Display URL.

In one case ebay got back $800 in commissions after ebay catch him promoting using ebay.com as display url in AdWords

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by MicroMag
    I know two cases of publishers that had their commissions collected back due using ebay.com in Display URL.

In one case ebay got back $800 in commissions after ebay catch him promoting using ebay.com as display url in AdWords
    Something has to be wrong here. You can NOT advertise PPC on either Adwords (Google) or Yahoo without putting ebay.com as the display URL ...they simply will not permit you to use a different site URL that is different from the landing page. And it doesn't not matter what keywords you choose you will find someone doing exactly that!

It's either we can do this or you can't use PPC at all. No inbetween Therefore the entire story is still not clear. We have a rep that is assigned to us from eBay. I will ask her and get an answer.

You cannot direct link to ebay using PPC unless you are approved by ebay to do so. You need to build landing pages on your own domain and then entice the click from that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Voxman
    Something has to be wrong here. You can NOT advertise PPC on either Adwords (Google) or Yahoo without putting ebay.com as the display URL ...they simply will not permit you to use a different site URL that is different from the landing page. And it doesn't not matter what keywords you choose you will find someone doing exactly that!
    you have 2 options: or have your own web site/landing or you violate ebay/Adwords TOS - is up to you

It's either we can do this or you can't use PPC at all. No inbetween Therefore the entire story is still not clear. We have a rep that is assigned to us from eBay. I will ask her and get an answer.
    Take a look:

Careful of that URL Lynn, Ebay took away $800.00 in commissions a few months back because I used the word ebay in the url.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showp...1&postcount=22
    What part of "Ebay took away $800.00 in commissions" is not clear for you now?

I would not disturb your ebay rep - read the TOS before contacting him.

No no no, you are ever so wrong!

You are not allowed to use the term eBay in YOUR url (before the third /), and the guy who had $800 taked away did just that.

If you redirect visitors from Google direct to eBay, you can put ebay.com as the display URL.

However, if you are using a landingpage, it cannot be named, for example, www.ebay-landing-page.com.

Would be good with an official answer to this though.. Anyone talked to CJ/eBay about this?

/Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by cornerbob
    No no no, you are ever so wrong!

You are not allowed to use the term eBay in YOUR url (before the third /), and the guy who had $800 taked away did just that.

If you redirect visitors from Google direct to eBay, you can put ebay.com as the display URL.

However, if you are using a landingpage, it cannot be named, for example, www.ebay-landing-page.com.

Would be good with an official answer to this though.. Anyone talked to CJ/eBay about this?

/Bobby
    Reading their special T&Cs again, I believe you are correct cornerbob. I don't promote them, but I was always under the impression you couldn't direct-link to their landing page.

EBay, which is Google's largest advertiser
    According to this article, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...UGQDJQQGI1.DTL

Google's biggest advertiser is Ebay. If they are doing it all themselves, is there not a rule about only having one advertiser going to the same site?

Poops Wandering Mind
    Signup Now for our KiteandWind affiliate program exclusivly at Shareasale.
    * 7% + Bonus - 365 return days
    * 2nd Tier Signup Bonus - Parasite Free - Auto Deposit Merchant
    * Free Datafeed - PopShops- Performance Cash Bonus

Ok it's official. Here's the exact quote from our eBay rep. Hopefully this will clear up all the myths and rumours going around.

Thanks for fwding this over. As you can imagine there is def a missunderstanding on ABW, thus glad you have asked for clarity.

CJ's Compliance dept monitors our T/Cs for us; most importantly the bidding on "eBay" trademarks and any misspellings. Yes, you MAY have eBay in the display URL- as one poster has commented, this is required since it is the ultimate display URL. You simply may NOT bid on "eBay" nor any misspellings in your KW campaign. Due to the fact that we do not also allow "e bay", we ensure that we communicate clearly with the affiliate to confirm if they are bidding on broad match on "bay" or "e" vs. exact match on "e bay" (the exact match being non compliant). I am closely coordinated with the eBay Compliance lead at CJ to ensure that there are no false positives in these situations.

Lastly to this point "You cannot direct link to ebay using PPC unless you are approved by ebay to do so. You need to build landing pages on your own domain and then entice the click from that point." this rule is only relevent in Yahoo! PPC, not GoogleAdWords.

Hope this clears up any uncertainty.

Told ya!

Ok it's official. Here's the exact quote from our eBay rep. Hopefully this will clear up all the myths and rumours going around.
    Thank you Voxman. Since I'm new, this is new to as much as everything else. I'll piece it together shortly. However, I always thought that sending visitors to a landing page would be required, or effective. This is what I had planned. Although, I did think about a PPC method of linking directly to a merchant, it's apparent that this is frowned upon, unless the merchant approves.

Thx again!

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCMonkey
    Thank you Voxman. Since I'm new, this is new to as much as everything else. I'll piece it together shortly. However, I always thought that sending visitors to a landing page would be required, or effective. This is what I had planned. Although, I did think about a PPC method of linking directly to a merchant, it's apparent that this is frowned upon, unless the merchant approves.

Thx again!
    You are welcome. It's not frowned upon to link directly to eBay, nor do you need permission if you are using Google Adwords (it's in that email) but for some reason you need to get permission from CJ if you plan on using Yahoo (Overture) for some reason. I'm going to ask for clarity on that.

For other merchants it may be different however

You are welcome. It's not frowned upon to link directly to eBay, nor do you need permission if you are using Google Adwords (it's in that email) but for some reason you need to get permission from CJ if you plan on using Yahoo (Overture) for some reason. I'm going to ask for clarity on that.
    Do you think this applies to ebay.ca as well? CJ warning to me was brand infringement with ebay.ca and no warning about ebay.com. The reply from ebay.ca was just to read their T&C.

The following statement are from our program Ts & Cs:

eBay Trademarks.
    You will not use in your domain name or URL (specifically, any term before the third "/" of your URL) nor purchase or register in any search, referral, or advertising service (such as Google's AdWords program) any of the following terms:

Any domestic or international eBay company trademarks, and all translations thereof, including "eBay", "PayPal", "Half" or any URL or keyword string that includes eBay company names (for example, "www.yourcompany-ebay.com", "eBay auctions", "eBaymotors", "ebay motors", "eBay jewelry", "PayPalpayments", "paypal payments", "Halfitems", "Half items"); or

Variations of any eBay company trademarks (for example, "e-bay", "ebay.com", "www.ebay.com", "e.bay", "e bay", "www.ebay", "ww.ebay.com", "e-bay.com", "www,ebay.com", "e.bay", "wwwebay.com", "ebya", "eaby", "Pay-Pal", "Pay Pal", "Half.com", "Half com", "Half.ebay.com", "Half ebay com", "ebay half").

* Please note: this is not an exhaustive list of prohibited words, phrases, or combinations thereof.

Best Regards,

The eBay.ca Affiliate Team

due to broad matching the use of negative keywords is the best way to avoid displaying for the wrong terms ;-)

I don't understand how come you need CJ's approval for direct linking to eBay when using Yahoo! PPC.

There is no way you can get this information from the TOS, neither the eBay or CJ TOS..

So basically it can't be in violation of the terms to direct link to eBay from Yahoo..

Anyone, any idea..?

Bob,

It's less about CJ and more about what eBay states in it's program terms as shwn above by mDaisy (if you want to use the program the terms define what you can or can't do right ;-). You might want to give them a read, also look for the keyword link as that may have some additional details for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by cornerbob
    I don't understand how come you need CJ's approval for direct linking to eBay when using Yahoo! PPC.

There is no way you can get this information from the TOS, neither the eBay or CJ TOS..

So basically it can't be in violation of the terms to direct link to eBay from Yahoo..

Anyone, any idea..?
    From my experience in using yahoo PPC is that they won't approved your ads if linking to a domain that you cannot control. It was over a year ago when I tried overture, it could have change now.

OK - I'm really confused, so I'm going to have to ask a dumb question.

I thought that recently Google had put a policy in place for PPC's where a URL can only appear once in search listings. So if everyone is putting ebay.com as their URL won't it only show up for one listing?

Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Sheri
    OK - I'm really confused, so I'm going to have to ask a dumb question.

I thought that recently Google had put a policy in place for PPC's where a URL can only appear once in search listings. So if everyone is putting ebay.com as their URL won't it only show up for one listing?

Sheri

Yep... so get creative with your keywords.

MDaisy.

I would have no idea about ebay.ca but I think what is happening with you, has nothing to do with the url being in the display. First of all are you registered with eBay regarding using PPC to directly link to eBay the landing page? Second, are you using Broad or Advanced match that may inadvertantly be hitting their restricted keywords? Our rep stated that they double check for false positives... so if they are saying they are seeing something they probably are. Question is what. I would go over all my keywords carefully and if using broad or advanced match think outside the box how this could be happening. Or you could just stop using broad or advanced match for those terms.

Another thing is to contact CJ about this (not eBay). They worked with me once to resolve a problem and were very good at providing specifics about what were doint wrong so we could find it and correct.

Anyone, any idea..?
    You are almost right. The specifics are not mentioned BUT they do require that you register with them if you plan on linking PPC ads directly to their site. The only strange part is it's Yahoo only.... you don't have to register if you are using Google Adwords only. And remember this is from a person directly in the affiliate dept. of eBay.

I'm afraid I'm still confused. I'm having similar concerns with another merchant with the same policy. Just for clarification, can I still put www.ebay.com as my display URL with my destination URL as my eBay affiliate link? I think I understand it would be rude to put "www.e-badizzle.com" or "e-b-a-y.com", but I would be worried if I couldn't use eBay's actual name because of trademark infringement. That would be like trying to advertise for McDonalds without actually using the word...McDonalds.
    Last edited by Go Writer; June 8th, 2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Grammar

ABW Ambassador
    "can I still put www.ebay.com as my display URL with my destination URL as my eBay affiliate link?"

No. You can't use ebay as the display url. You can't direct link to them. You can't bid on the term ebay or variations. In the past you could direct link to them but that changed awhile back. Also they're not at CJ anymore, not sure if you were aware of that. You can find them - https://www.ebaypartnernetwork.com/f...-US/index.html

Thank you for the clarification. Out of curiousity, why would a merchant implement that restriction? Isn't it in their interest to have promoters send customers their way using their name?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast