associate engine default
    Sorry if these are repeated (and beginner) questions; however, I did not find answers after going through the forum questions.

Anyway, I just purchased associate engine (haven't received my key yet) and installed it on one of my domains. I installed it in a subdomain that I registered; ie. it is installed in www.mydomain.com/subdomain/cgi-bin/ae.pl

1. How do I get my website to run the script when someone enters www.subdomain.com (Currently, when this is enterered, I only see directories ae-img, cgi-bin, etc.)? I can only get ae.pl to run by entering: a) www.mydomain.com/subdomain/cgi-bin/ae.pl OR b) www.subdomain.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl

2. I modified the template how I want it to look; however, how do change the template so that the default page loads something other than the top selling books? ie. what if I want to load a certain category of book, not the top selling books when my homepage is visited?

Thanks in advance,
    mark

I'm no expert on subdomains, but I think you might be able to do this with the DirectoryIndex command. This http command says what to show first when a user comes to your site.

Try adding a line to your .htaccess file that says:
    DirectoryIndex (path to your subdomain)/cgi-bin/ae.pl

David (or anyone), if I got this syntax wrong, please correct me.

For your second question, sounds like you want to show the AE results without adding any original content of your own. This won't be likely to get you much success in the search engines, because your pages will look identical to a zillion others. You'll do better to add context-specific rich content as well.

1. Subdomain: In the root directory of www.subdomain.com, edit the .htaccess file (or create one) and add:

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^$ /cgi-bin/ae.pl

The RewriteRule statement causes www.subdomain.com/ to be internally handles as www.subdomain.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl

Note: You say that ae.pl is installed at www.mydomain.com/subdomain/cgi-bin/ae.pl ----- Depending upon how subdomains work on your server, it *may* be necessary to change the above RewriteRule to:

RewriteRule ^$ /subdomain/cgi-bin/ae.pl

(obviously, replace "subdomain" with the actual directory name that you're using for "subdomain".)

2. Default search: Edit ae.ini and set search.default to the default search parameters to use. For example, to set the default search to show DVD's, use:

search.default "type=browse&mode=dvd"

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation
    per: David Cusimano

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread