Redirecting slow. How to dispay "please wait" message?
    I use php to redirect to merchant's site. But its slow in their side. I would like to display a "please wait" message, what's the easiest way to do it?

I have another message displayed if users browser doesn't allow redirection. Just don't know how to place the "Please wait" message in.

I use meta-refresh.

anyone? Thanks.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Just use an animated image stating "Loading in Process", or "finding update" or "something" like the one you get when windows start or there are many animated images that you can use.
    And below that, you should have a link, "click to skip loading" or something like that. That way, if redirect fails and the person is interested, he/she will click on the link

One of my redirect pages like that use this code onMouseOver="location.href. Google search

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    You could frame the merchant's website and have Loading in process on the top frame.

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Just use an animated image stating "Loading in Process", or "finding update" or "something" like the one you get when windows start or there are many animated images that you can use.
    And below that, you should have a link, "click to skip loading" or something like that. That way, if redirect fails and the person is interested, he/she will click on the link

One of my redirect pages like that use this code onMouseOver="location.href. Google search
    The message will only be displayed when redirects fails. But I want it displayed while user is waiting.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've found it best to never remind the user how long a wait is--no matter how many ages it takes for the page to load.

Years ago, I had a message that said "please wait for page to load" or something like that (no redirect, so all I had to do was put the msg outside my main table so it loaded first).
    Hardly anyone waited--clickthroughs were abysmal.
    I took the message away, and the clickthrough rate more than doubled. Needless to say, sales rose accordingly.

Since then, I don't put a wait message even if I find *myself* wondering if the page is ever going to come up. If there's nothing I can do to quicken it up, then it's just tough. Sure, some people will go away, but a lot *more* will go away if they're told outright that it's taking a long time! I think that when people aren't reminded of the load time, they assume that it must just be how they're percieving it, and therefore wait for those "couple more seconds."

I would expect the response to be the same if the wait comes after a redirect.

I don't know. Amazon links are really slow somtimes. Put a "please wait" message may comfort the user a lot. I don't feel good for facing a blank page for about 3 seconds. I know that one good affiliate has this. Just don't know how.

I want to make sure that I hope the message can be displayed while user is waiting, not when redirects fail. Thanks Guys.

15 years and counting
    Listen to what Leader said. I've the same experience. Your visitors will be gone way before your message shows your message "Pls Wait" It's a traffic killer.

I somehow agree with what you guys said. However you can think of it this way, a "please wait" message will split the 3 seconds waiting time to two 1.5 seconds. User won't have time to do anything instead of reading this message, and then they will be taken to the new page. Would that be better?

It doesn't matter for me now. Since I think it might no be that important after knowing what two experienced abwers think. Thanks Guys.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread