ABW Ambassador
    I've been accused of sending spam emails again and DO NOT DO email campaigns, newsgroups, or instant messages. WHAT IS GOING ON?? How can I find out who is using my url for this?? And why and how can they use my url??? I did open a Topica.com account in November with this url - could they be doing it??

We have received apparently legitimate complaints that you are sending mass,
    unsolicited emails, newsgroup posts, or Instant Messanger advertisements
    for/from xxxxxxxxx. Go Daddy Software requests that you cease this immediately. Failure to do so may lead to actions such as the suspension or cancellation of service.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

ABW Ambassador
    Explain that you are not doing it, but that you are concerned about the situation and request a copy of the spam. You can't track down the culprit without that info.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Cedric - I did just that. I asked them to help me resolve the issue. Do you think I can find out who is doing out based on the emails?? What can I do to make them stop??? :confused:

Jada,

Many times the Spam is forwarded with the COMPLETE header (which shows the originating IP of the Spammer) ... if this IP is not traced back to you .. your safe.

Haiko

Ask to see one of the reported headers and check the originating IP address (or maybe post the header here and we can analyse it for you).

ABW Ambassador
    Okay thanks. I am dying for them to respond to my email address. I SWEAR I did not send any emails to anyone.

ABW Ambassador
    yeah, yeah, yeah, right, Jada. You dont send email spam, and bears dont shit in the woods. sure, yeah, right... ahem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Who or what is <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Go Daddy Software <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Is this possibly some stupid software that some yahoo has installed on their personal compiter that sends out automatic responses?

What power of enforcement do they have if any?

I did a search. It looks like some web hostitn company with a spam filter.

My host has a spam filter and once it marked a letter from me to me as spam! LOL

Ssanf - I believe Godaddy is her host.

Big Chuck - <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and bears don't shit in the woods<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> :eek:

Jada Kiss - If the headers do not reveal anything there are two possible scenarios.
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>There is a security problem with your host.<LI>You are spamming.[/list]

Did this problem start occurring after you moved to this host?

A long time ago, before we knew what we were doing, we set up an account with one of those programs similar to an FFA site where people could post their URL and receive a "confirmation notice" from us in return, which was actually a way for us to send them an advertisement email. The email they received noted the time and place they'd posted their URL, so they knew why they were getting the email. Didn't matter. Someone complained to our host and that was it. We were booted off with no chance to explain. I don't know if that was technically spam or not, but it cost us a host, which isn't the end of the world, but it is a pain. At least godaddy.com sounds like they are giving you a chance to rectify the situation. And judging from all the spam I get, I guess those FFA sites are still thriving.

ABW Ambassador
    Big Chuck - seriously - I do not do email campaigns or participate in spam - it is not funny when you are accused of doing something that you know you don't do.

Godaddy.com is the host. And no, this problem occured about a month ago with my other host who terminated my account because of Spam but didn't provide me with the opportunity to find out what was going on.

Your right, at least godaddy is allowing me to rectify the situation which I plan on doing.

Hi Jada.

Does GoDaddy give you a pop-up e-mail account with your site? If so, I would look at the "sent mail" archives. It is very possible that someone is using your pop-up e-mail account to send spam mail. If the IP address on the original header turns out to be one at GoDaddy, then you have a hacker who is screwing with you.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, but it's not even setup.

ABW Ambassador
    It's been resolved. The spam complaint came from Spam Cop. Someone who was sending spam emails stole a graphic off my site and linked to the graphic using my url - Dum A**. So my url was associated with the other urls in the spam email.

He said that all I have to do is change the name of the graphic. Why do people steal your stuff?? That is so weak. No good will ever come to them.

Ouch.. SpamCop is normally pretty good at analysing the spam, I guess your host should have paid more attention to the details on the report.

Probably though the person actually spamming will get away with it.. most spam these days comes from China.

I get funny e-mails all the time. This is funny because it came to my home e-mail, not the one I use on the site. I just got one to my e-mail address from my e-mail address and all it had in it is my footer. I didn't send anything, so what is it?

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    Jada,
    Glad to hear you got this resolved. It reminds me of a spam (actually several) I get daily promoting different stocks. I broke down the e-mail and found that the graphics in contained in the e-mail were actually on the official Mercedes Benz site. I contacted their webmaster to let them know that somebody was doing this, and they too could be blamed for spam. I never heard back from them, but 2 days later, that batch of spam was all broken images [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Now the spam, for now, isn't using any images. You should also contact your old webhost just to let them know what the situation was, and it proves that you weren't spamming...give them a hard time about not paying attention [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread