ABW Ambassador
    Okay why in the world does google post your photos in it's images category for people to steal. Even though it says the image may be copyrighted. Not only do they post your image - they post your site and the exact url to the image. Why would they make it available when it's not even theirs to begin with??? Is this the price we pay for being listed in google.

So even though I changed the image - this person can still save the new image because the site still shows up below the image in a separate frame. Go to google, click on the images tab which will appear after you do a search, then type in the name of the gif from one of your sites that is in google and see what happens.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah, that sucks.

About the only thing I can think of to stop it is with a .htaccess file.

I don't know the code to put in the .htaccess file for this, but I know that there is one and I'm sure somebody can fill us in on the specifics.

I do know that once the right code is in there, you can make it do "things" when the image is called from another site (hotlinked)...like show an X instead of the picture, or show a *totally different* picture than is showing on your sites (Do what you want with that, Heh heh heh... but remember that your site URL would still be associated with it in Google! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

UPDATE: I think the Google image-eating bot is seperate from the regular GoogleBot. So it may be possible to block it with robots.txt without blocking the Big GoogleBot... check to make sure though, so you don't kick out the wrong bot!

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

I don't know if this will help you guys I found it when I was looking for a way to use SSI without using the .shtml file.

I mentions .htaccess files and how to disable a directory.

Just a warning try to put the .htaccess file on your server empty first because sometimes although the file is there you cannot see it..htaccess info

ABW Ambassador
    User-Agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /*.gif$

etc

OR

Here
    Option 1: If you have access to the server that hosts your image or the site's webmaster:

If you need an image removed from Google's image index we require participation either by you or by the site's webmaster. Please add a robots.txt file to the root of the server. (If you can't put it in the server root, you can put it at directory level.)

Example: If your site is www.yoursite.com/images/dogs.jpg and you want Google to exclude the dogs.jpg image found on your site, you need to create a page called www.yoursite.com/robots.txt and on this page you need to place the following text:

User-Agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /images/dogs.jpg
    To remove all the images on your site from our index, place the following robots.txt file in your server root:

User-Agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks - I'll have to play around with it. Being that this site has the google link virus anyway I guess it won't matter if I put the robot.txt in there anyway as far as google finding the site to scan.

I think I posted the code once in the programming forum. Got it from Dave at AHFB2000.com

essentially:

AuthUserFile /dev/null
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.yourdomain.com/
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yourdomian.com/
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.yourotherdomain.com/
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://yourotherdomain.com/
    RewriteRule /* ]http://www.yourdomain.com/warning.htm[R,L]

____

Where the RewriteCond is the domain names you WANT to be able to call the images (your own!), and the RewriteRule is some file that will be displayed instead, I think.

Save this as .htaccess in the directory where your images are (another reason to keep your images in one directory or in a couple of organized places).

I was getting regular image hijacking from ebay sellers. Had to put this .htaccess file in every image directory on all sites. Works great.

Edited to add:

For those of us who are graphically impaired, the Google image search can be very helpful for legitimate reasons. I needed to get a site up ASAP (as in, lest Yahoo pull the listing before the new site was up), and searched for a particular image I needed. I emailed the site owner about permission to use the image in exchange for a front page link (the page on their site was perfectly themed to the site I was building), and whalla he was happy for the exchange and I had my graphic in hours.

It is a pity that so many folks use this search function for direct linking or stealing graphics. I don't mind folks taking my free images without credit, but it really pisses me off when they direct link to the whole page of images!

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: webmistress ]

You need to lock down those GIFs but you may want to set up a separate directory for small banners that would advertise your site. Name them with your keyword so you can utilize this for extra advertisement.

At least make them come to your website to steal your stuff. Most will be to lazy and take what google is offering.

Actually Google uses frames to display the images so you can just use the frame removal code in your page's body tag and that will plop the surfer automatically on top of your page. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(That's what I use by the way, but my frame removal tags were in place years ago when I first started my greetings site. I also placed my url on 99% of my card images to avert theft or at least get free advertising out of it.)

snikkers

Snikkers,
    Could you explain how you do that 'cos I'm not familiar with frames tags having never used frames. What do I put in the body tag?

Tmd5,

This should work:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;Script Language="JavaScript"&gt;
    &lt; !--
    setTimeout ("changePage()", 0);
    function changePage() {
    if (self.parent.frames.length != 0)
    self.parent.location= "YourPage.html";
    }
    // --&gt;
    &lt;/script&gt; </pre>

-Joey
    [edited because ubb wouldn't let me place a Script tag.]
    [ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Joey ]

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Joey ]

Sure tmd5,

Inside your BODY Tag, add the line I pasted between the lines EXCEPT Replace the ? with the word on load BUT put it together as oneword:
    ------------------<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

?="if (self != top) top.location = self.location"

</pre>
    ------------------

So you would end up having something similar to this "within" your BODY tag brackets:

----------------------<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

BODY TEXT="#006600" FONT FACE="Arial, Verdana, Times" BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" LINK="#99cc00" VLINK="#99cc99" ALINK="#FFFF00" ?="if (self != top) top.location = self.location" BACKGROUND="image.gif" </pre>

----------------------

Don't forget to replace the ?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: snikkers ]

Thanks! I'll give it a try [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread