Is This Legit?
    I saw an adWords ad with shareasale.com on the Domain Line. It was an affiliate link pointing directly to the merchant. I didn't have to click on it to see that. Is this an acceptable use of the SAS domain name?

Just had a look through their "PPC Keyword Bidding Guidelines and Rules" and they do not allow bidding on competitor's (cj's, linkshare's, myap's, etc) names, but there is nothing on their own name... I guess, this affiliate is taking advantage of it.

Geno

Looks like you have been pretty busy Geno it was only me posting here for a while welcome back! I needed to ask you something am Pming you.
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    Looks like you have been pretty busy Geno it was only me posting here for a while welcome back!
    I have been crazy busy, Clyde... No time to breathe... About to take on two more programs + negotiating with 3 other ones... Got your PM. Will get back with on it in a sec.

Geno

Wow! Congrats Geno All the very best to you on your new ventures!
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

"Just had a look through their "PPC Keyword Bidding Guidelines and Rules" and they do not allow bidding on competitor's (cj's, linkshare's, myap's, etc)"

Some of the PPC's require that the same domain as the URL that traffic is directed to be displayed. Chances are that "cj,linkshare, SAS competitors etc" are not a factor. For instance, if there was a SAS merchant called "joesfishingtackle" and an affiliate did PPC on fishing tackle-related terms, the PPC would still display "shareasale.com" as the URL, not "joesfishingtackle.com". If a Russian Legacy affiliate was bidding on "russian aviator watches" and such, using an affiliate link, the PPC would display "shareasale.com", NOT "russianlegacy.com"

Same thing happens with cj links (at least on Overture); they will display "qksrv.net", "and****rs.net", etc rather than the final destination.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

For instance, if there was a SAS merchant called "joesfishingtackle" and an affiliate did PPC on fishing tackle-related terms
    If you and I both were affiliates for "joesfishingtackle" and we both bid on the term "stink bait" only one of our ads would show. That is if we both used shareasale.com on the ad URL line (talking adWords here). It sounds mighty competitive if a lot of folks were doing it.

"It sounds mighty competitive if a lot of folks were doing it."

For sure. But in some cases a lot of folks aren't. There are probably a pretty good number of high-EPC programs on Shareasale that barely have a dozen active affiliates producing sales for them.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    This might be the merchant themselves placing the aff link. This way they overwrite any cookie that may have been from a previous click of an affiliates site. If they used a direct link then they would have had to pay a commission if within a previous cookie's return days.

Kind of sneaky.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Wow looks like cheeseheads had quite a bad experience with a merchant. But thats a sneaky thing there cheesehead. Why do merchants focus so much on ways to do these things if they just focus this energy in a positive manner im sure they would make a major change in this industry

This might be the merchant themselves placing the aff link. This way they overwrite any cookie that may have been from a previous click of an affiliates site.
    The merchant in this case has a high level of trust and is in the ARC flock. They would also have to been given an affiliate account. It might be possible but not in the case I saw.

So where is the problem if somebody bids on "blue widgets" and the customer who is looking for blue widgets clicks through on an ad for blue widgets and lands on the blue widget page of bluewidgets.com.

Sounds to me like sour grapes from a newbie or cheapskate who is jealous that somebody else is willing to shell out a few nickels or dimes to advertise.

As far as the idea of "the merchant themselves" placing their own affiliate link, that is just ridiculous. They would have to saddle the expense of the PPC clicks and still pay a cut to the affiliate network. If they are going to do this, then there is no sense in having an affiliate program to begin with!

FWIW - If you do direct-to-merchant PPC through an affiliate link, the network URL is the one that is displayed. This is outside the realm of the affiliate's control.

If you have a problem with somebody else getting listed at the top of the page, then outbid them or quit *****in'. The sponsored listings are not going to go away.

If you have a problem with somebody else getting listed at the top of the page, then outbid them or quit *****in'. The sponsored listings are not going to go away.
    You are reading more into my post than is there. It was a simple question to learn. Reread and please quote the "*****in". Get some coffee.

"You are reading more into my post than is there."

Perhaps. And my apologies if that is the case. You can blame the motor-city motormouth for conditioning me and other hapless forum visitors into being somewhat conditioned to sour grapes complaints about PPC'ers who did nothing worse than pay for ad placements where ad placements are offered for sale.

apologies
    Accepted!

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    FWIW - If you do direct-to-merchant PPC through an affiliate link, the network URL is the one that is displayed.
    The network URL is displayed only if the person who setup the campaign put it as the "display url." None of my PPC campaigns show a network url. As long as the merchant allows it, I put the merchants url as the display url. If the merchant doesn't allow it, I don't run a PPC ads for them.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    This might be the merchant themselves placing the aff link. This way they overwrite any cookie that may have been from a previous click of an affiliates site. If they used a direct link then they would have had to pay a commission if within a previous cookie's return days.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    As far as the idea of "the merchant themselves" placing their own affiliate link, that is just ridiculous. They would have to saddle the expense of the PPC clicks and still pay a cut to the affiliate network. If they are going to do this, then there is no sense in having an affiliate program to begin with!
    When I opened GoodBulbs last year, some AM PM'd me and tried to get me to do exactly that!! Told me I was crazy for refusing!

I brought up all the obvious objections from an affiliate's POV, as well as those NoWires mentioned, but no luck at all in getting through. He even suggested reversing on my own aff account to skip out of paying that network fee when I objected to that (him not seeing that doing that would give me a ridiculous reversal rate in both my aff acc't and my merchant acc't--and is shafting SAS as well!) Then he tried to pawn it off that it helped him "track his own results." As if he couldn't just stick the PPC engine's own trackers, which don't affect aff tracking, on his site for that. I eventually just stopped responding.

Before anyone asks "who,"--Unfortunately, I'm awful at remembering names that I don't see a lot of. I can't remember who it was. The screenname wasn't associated with any well-known AMs, or programs I had any interest in joining. But I remember the incident itself!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread