Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    What Pages Aren't Getting Whacked By Adwords
    Just wanted to start a new thread to find out what pages aren't getting whacked by Adwords. Obviously this is just for people who actually do Adwords If we can see some similarities in what's not getting whacked then maybe we can start making unwhackable pages At least for the time being, things change.

They whacked about 90% + of my ads for the search network even tho they still show for the content network.

But a couple that haven't been touched are:

Adwords going to a cobrand site. I have one that I started a couple of days ago and still going with the same bids I had years ago.

I have one ad still going strong to my second major site. The page is more content, niche, indy affiliate links.

I've also seen posted people sending traffic directly to the merchant not being affected. I'm wondering if people who do this are seeing the same. If Google isn't touching that, then that's something I want to take a look at.

I think Snib mentioned something about a comparison shopping site not being affected. Not sure if I got that right?

I had one site, that really didn't offer much content, other than brief product descriptions, etc. These products then went straight to the merchant (via CJ and Linkshare). Although it was profitable, I wasn't really surprised it got hit. It was just a glorified (and messy) bridge page, with about a total of 20-30 pages.

I also had a few more smaller, less profitable pages get hit b/c of the same issues. These were all my first few attempts into this business.

Now, my more recent sites have yet to be touched. They either rely completely on SAS, or in-house programs. One is also a cobrand type of site (wonder if we're talking about the same thing here).

These sites have unique content, are designed somewhat well, and I would say aren't immediately identifiable as affiliate sites. They also use link redirection, using php/mysql. My Adwords campaigns are pretty tight, with only a few targetted keywords.

I"m also expecting to put up a datafeed site within the next week or so, and will see how it performs with the new Adwords changes.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    "One is also a cobrand type of site (wonder if we're talking about the same thing here)."

Cobrand as in:

http://www.artselect.com/partners/index.html

We create a site, "YourCompany.ArtSelect.com"

This is one they gave as an example:

http://interiorexpressions.artselect.com/

ABW Ambassador
    Please pardon my ignorance but what do you mean when you say that your pages are being whacked by Adwords?

CanadianDave

ABW Ambassador
    The bids jumped to levels no one in their right mind would pay. Like a lot of mine went to $10, days prior they were live for 10 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "One is also a cobrand type of site (wonder if we're talking about the same thing here)."

Cobrand as in:

Sorry, I misunderstood. It's a bit different, in the sense that I can create the site to my specifications, on another host. Either way, it's not easy to identify as an affiliate site - which I think is the same in your case. We can talk more detail via PM if you want.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

I've got a price comparison site that hasn't been whacked. I don't really rely on AdWords for it so I've got limited campaigns. This site is fairly advanced and accounts for over 2 1/2 years of intense development.

Another site that I promote through AdWords hasn't been whacked either, but this site is more or less a datafeed site without price comparison. I do have features where users can submit reviews and the interface is fairly intuitive, maybe to the point that they've mistaken me for a merchant?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Trust.

I do only direct to (SAS) merchant PPC on Google and I have seen no major changes in the past few months. Anything out of the ordinary I have chocked up to everyone waking up and moving over to SAS and crowding the display URLs.

I've also seen posted people sending traffic directly to the merchant not being affected. I'm wondering if people who do this are seeing the same. If Google isn't touching that, then that's something I want to take a look at.
    I believe Google stated outright that Vanity Domains were effected. In most cases, Trust, wouldn't that hurt True Adsense Direct ClickThrough Affiliates? (Sorry, I couldn't come up with a euphamism like Mike would)
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    What's a vanity domain specifically?

I believe the domain they mentioned specifically was CheapFreeSomething. Let me see if I can find the thread....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, don't know about that. I used Adwords primarily for my 2 main sites and the display matched the destination and they were mysites.com/page. I've never done direct to merchant before.

Internet Cowboy
    They are targetting domains, not pages.

ABW Ambassador
    What do you mean, specifics.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    They are targeting both, in my opinion. But they've been measuring landing page relevancy since Nov 2005. They tightened the page measures in Apr/May. This latest round is about your site's overall factors in my opinion, but it is layered on top of the already existing landing page scoring.

I'm unscathed across many site, many direct-to-merchants campaigns and many adwords accounts under management. As such, I'd also suggest that I'm the wrong person to draw the firmest conclusions here. I'd need more "whacked" domain data to say for sure and am lacking it. However, with so much at stake, I have been following threads here and elsewhere VERY closely.

It's obviously not a simple algorithm, it's got to be multi-faceted. I'd bet there's a long scorecard of yes/no type things, each with a weighting, that gives a summary score of site quality. Further, since every keyword is measured on it's own and compared to others bidding the same word, this notion makes sense to me because so many have said their high-traffic, high-converting words have been whacked. So I think the quality score for every word lines you up against the quality score, including the overall domain factors, against others bidding on the same terms.

For those of you partially whacked, now would be a good time to compare those people bidding on your whacked words. I think their quality score is what's pushing you off the shelf... and it's a small shelf. If these same list of competitors don't show up on your non-whacked words, you'll know those are there cuz relative to other bidders, you've made the grade.

Btw, for any who know me, I am not sitting here smug... I am waiting for the hammer to fall... it seems to me, given things like Froogle bans affiliate relationships, that affiliate relationships have got to be on the domain scorecard they've developed. And my income is mostly from affiliate activities.

Nervous in Orlando,
    Donuts.

PS - my non-whacked status, and my belief that it leaves me with a lot less data than whackees, is why I've been pretty quiet about this issue overall. Surely, sitting here unaffected, besides my lack of data, my demeanor must mean I am not looking as hard or long at the situation as others here that are posting often (and should be).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Donuts you know one merchant program that will never be affected on either direct PPCSE or any showcase landing page. The key is all tracking cookies and landing page URLs are set after passing through the shopping cart. Very Few ABWers have ever joined because the merchant converts at 1 sale per 20 clicks for 6 years straight. Something about a level playing field, no BHO train riding, and physical click requirements. I also force all the Super Dupers from Amazon to Bizrate to pay for PPCSE at their own expense. Then again the AM is just another Adwhore begging for traffic....
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Wanted to see from people actually using Adwords what is currently working. And then we could compare and come up with something.
    Last edited by Trust; July 18th, 2006 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Cobrand as in:

I think the co-brand ones can't get whacked b/c the domain itself is not affiliate.

If Google wants to get rough, they can start whacking subdomains if they feel they are all duplicate content. In fact I would be surprised if they didn't or won't shortly.

However, if the co brand site resides on a unique domain, they will have to target the content as opposed to the domain initially.

Donuts hit it right on the head above... And one wonders if Google is starting to "scale its reach..."
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

I'm doing just straight to merchant right now. I had 2 clickbank campaigns totally inactivated, one an established site with content, one very new single selling page site. Another was 2/3 inactivated, a few pages of content/sales. My main CJ campaign hasn't been touched so far though, the landing page is a bridge to a big active site.

Listen to this:

I had one pretty profitable campaign get whacked one the first day of Google's sweeps. I almost gave up on it, but decided to do a little bit of keyword cleaning a couple of days ago. I got rid of the non-performing keywords, as well as some non-relevant keywords - I still left a good handful of keywords alone though (which were inactive).

I just checked it again today, and guess what? They were re-activated. Don't really know when it happened, or really why for that matter. But maybe some house-cleaning with old keywords did the trick.

Just an FYI.

I just checked it again today, and guess what? They were re-activated.
    Great! We need a few more words of encouragement like that.

MoneyBusiness,
    That is amazing news! Congratulations!! Yours is the first account I've read so far of keywords getting reactivated. Gives one hope.

Maybe G is coming around just a little (hoping), and will allow us to modify our campaigns enough to be re-accepted into their program. Fingers crossed..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast