Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Home Click Deceitful Practices?
    Is anyone aware of the ad Homeclick is running? After you click on the buy button to their product they have a Warehouse sale going. The only way you can take advantage of the sale is you MUST PLACE THE ORDER OVER THE PHONE. Home click does not track phone orders.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Internet Cowboy
    Thieves. All you can do is shitcan them and never look back.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Call the 800# and see if they're employees or some 3rd party affiliate enabled call center.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I noticed the message too. If the customer would like to take the advantage of 10% off promotion, they have to place the order by phone. Yes, affiliates will lost the commission if they call instesd of continuing check out. That's sad.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I see it with a direct type in. And I'm not justifying this it all because I don't like leaks or things that would take away from an affiliate earning. But sometimes an AM will catch hell for it when it's the merchant who did it. Sometimes we see them as one in the same. The merchant could have a made a decision not even thinking or caring about the affiliate program because it's a different department or the affiliate program only accounts for a small percentage, whatever. I would contact the AM and see what's up. Depending on the program the affiliate manager can have lots of say on what happens on the site, some pull, or none at all. Sometimes with moves like this the affiliate manager gets even more pissed off because it makes the program look bad and it's something out of their hands.

ABW Ambassador
    Althought I will take it as their technical issues, but if some merchants did this too amny times, I might suspect their motivations then. Is there any "blackname list" of the deceitful merchants?

no wonder sales have tanked with them lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar
    no wonder sales have tanked with them lately.
    Well, thanks for the warning. Out of curiosity, what does Homeclick sell?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

"what does Homeclick sell?"
    looks like high-end bath and kitchen. ($4500 toilet?)

I'd never heard of them till this thread.

I bet if this happened on SAS, Brian would kick their theiving asses. But, you know....it's CJ.

So, shut up and suck it up. You're still willing to suck up everything else, so why complain about this?

If you still use CJ, ....well, fool me once.

You have lost all sympathy unless you have been in this business for less than six months.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    "So, shut up and suck it up."

You have a bad day?

If you can control when you send them traffic, send it only on weekends. It's usually 8-10% off and the phone bank is closed weekends & holidays.

Got to watch out for stuff like that. There's a few major players out there that also do the "this item is only available in our stores" trick, but they put the product in the affiliate feeds anyway. I won't mention any names, but let's say it's a major electronic devices chain that does this.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

what a crock.

And NoWires, maybe you can filter for the words "only available in our stores" and leave those out of your display from the feeds?

Hello everyone,

I manage the HomeClick Affiliate Program and wanted to answer any questions you may have about the sale we are testing. First and foremost the sale was never intended as a deceitful practice to our affiliates. Affiliates do very well with our weekend sales and this test is in no way a replacement.

Unfortunately at the end of the day we are a business that needs to grow and survive. So on occasion we must try something new.

Internet Cowboy
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bair
    Unfortunately at the end of the day we are a business that needs to grow and survive. So on occasion we must try something new.
    Try something new, like screwing your affiliates!!! Yeah...what a great idea!! Your company knows exactly what it is doing. I am a new affilaite with you and did fairly well with you last month. Those links have all gone bye bye!! I have a zero tolerance policy for merchants who find creative ways to screw their affiliates.
    Pathetic

ABW Ambassador
    Well this type of thing doesn't help an affiliate program. If an affiliate sends you traffic and you have one of those "need to call" type of deals, then you need to find a way to compensate the affiliate for the traffic they just sent and get that info on the phone.

I would love to hear some suggestions and options regarding tracking this kind of business. We currently do not have the technology for this but we are always looking for good ideas.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Bair
    I would love to hear some suggestions and options regarding tracking this kind of business. We currently do not have the technology for this but we are always looking for good ideas.
    Nature Hills nursery provides a source ID that allows phone orders to be tracked. The operator asks the person to provide the source ID which is right below their phone number (so it can't be missed). I have seen other merchants do this same type of thing.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

A few things you can do:
    1. Make it so that links from affiliates have a different landing page without that big message.
    2. Provide a coupon link, or code to affiliates to give to the users so they don't need to call.
    3. Track it by phone, have some identifying thing on the top of the page that they tell hte phone operators that shows which affiliate it's from.
    4. If you really want to talk to them, then have the operator give them a Code that they enter online, and make them place the orders online.

And why would you want users to call to place orders, isn't is much easier for them to order online? I'd think you'd be encouraging that, unless you're just trying to avoid paying affiliates.

Hey ReallyBig I really appreciate all the great ideas. Your last statement gets to the reason we have a phone requirement at all. If you read the message on our homepage the item must be in stock (in this building). Unlike many online retailers we maintain a huge inventory at our facility and need to clear some out. The only way to confirm it is actually in this building is for the buyer to speak with someone in the building. I just want it to be clear the intention is absolutely not to screw our affiliates but more an unfortunate reality of our business.

ABW Ambassador
    I am not a Homeclick affiliate.

I am in utter shock that this company is fully aware that they are stealing business from their affiliates, whether intentional or not. The only positive here is that their AM is admitting it.

They should be terminated from CJ immediately.

I would strongly encourage all affiliates to pressure CJ on this one.

I haven't dropped them yet, but it doesn't really look like he's willing to work things out. His only excuse is that they are trying something new, and the only way for them to check if it's in stock is to call.
    If they can't tell what's in-stock on their website, they should get that to work before pulling this crap.
    I'm giving them until tomorrow morning, if it's not fixed or a solution, then i'll probably drop their links, since I won't be getting any commissions from the sales I send them anyway.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    I am not a Homeclick affiliate.

I am in utter shock that this company is fully aware that they are stealing business from their affiliates, whether intentional or not. The only positive here is that their AM is admitting it.

They should be terminated from CJ immediately.

I would strongly encourage all affiliates to pressure CJ on this one.
    This goes on all over the place. I recently posted of a similar situation with another merchant at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=76017 .

It's a "leak". Don't hold your breath for CJ to terminate. If that were the case, a lot of merchants that sign up adware distributors would also get the boot.

At least you got the AM here responding. (The AM I emailed this morning has not responded yet) Normally, this type of thing is ignored. The affiliate-friendly merchants (like Nature Hills Nursery) will take care of this situation by utilizing referal numbers to insure phone tracking. Give this AM a chance to take care of this. If nothing happens in a week or so, then I guess it is not their choice to be affiliate-friendly and they will lose out on signing up some potential heavy-hitters.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Since HomeClick and the other sites sell high end stuff, it seems pretty reasonable that lots of people would want to talk to someone before placing the order. How many people will spend $5,000 - $40,000 on home upgrades without at least talking to someone on the other end? I'd guess not many but that might be wrong.

In this arena, BlueNile does a great job of handling phone orders. Take a look at the bottom left of the screen - http://www.bluenile.com/ You'll see a code that the operator asks the customer for when taking a phone order to tie it back to a marketing campaign. No idea how difficult it would be to integrate something like that but they've had it for years. Do the high end sales tend to come via phone more so than the $50 - $1,000 orders?

There is also a small block of AdSense below the main nav on the left.
    Last edited by Superstar; July 19th, 2006 at 06:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast