To iPod or not To iPod?
    I've been looking to buy an iPod. But I hear they have limitations. Like will they play any MP3 or only MP3s from iTunes? Anyone know for sure?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

I bought my wife an I pod for Christmas last year. If I had to do it again I would go with one of the cheaper varieties. The cheaper players are all universal and work with any download service. Ipod has a lot of built in limitations designed to push the user to I Tunes. It also only works with one computer at a time so if you have a friend with music you cannot download from his computer without reformatting your Ipod. All of these limitations are an effort to thwart piracy, which is good, but it really limits Ipods ability and functionality.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

I have two kids and bought ipod Minis for them last year. Out of the box they work great but watch out for the battery. They were left uncharaged for a few months and now won't charge. They are now basically ipod bricks. I understand this is a common problem Apple has a battery replacement scheme for US$59. After 1 year, this should not happen IMHO. Check out this FAQ

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/

colin
    jigsaw2order.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Ipod is nice

but there are alot of replacement gadgets that is comparable to ipod without all the limitations and at a cheaper price

ok i'm biased... as i work for a company producing the service i love. but i really love subscription music. seriously. i really love being able to download all the songs I want any time.. then take it all with me in my car. i have a 20 mile commute so it's really cool to listen to some random album without having to have bought the whole thing. then i get to work.. cue up 4/5 albums... then do some work.. wow...day is over.. back in my car.

basically subscription services work with any windows compatible device "plays for sure" compliant. i have two dell dj players. there are some dirt cheap deals out there with coupon codes. half the price of an ipod. i know creative have launched some really cool color players.

I wanted a cheaper one, but DH bought me the Ipod Nano. I like that it has the screen to see my playlists. It has other features besides the music player. I have never downloaded from Itunes, but I use the software (came with Ipod) to manage my music. I use other sources.

I got an iPod Nano not all that long ago, and it is nice. It will play songs other than itunes downloads, but you have to enter all the information about the artist and song so it loads correctly into it.

I don't use it a whole lot anymore because the dog ate my headphones, lol, and I haven't gotten a chance to replace them.
    KK

Quote Originally Posted by kiasuchick

basically subscription services work with any windows compatible device "plays for sure" compliant. i have two dell dj players. there are some dirt cheap deals out there with coupon codes. half the price of an ipod. i know creative have launched some really cool color players.
    I was very interested in the idea of a subscription based service, but in looking into them I found that once you stop subscribing, you lose all rights to the music. Don't know if they're all like that, but I assume so... Personally, I prefer paying per song and knowing it's mine...

My husband got me a nano for my birthday and I like it. The limitations aren't really an issue with me. I downloaded a few songs and then put some CD's on there and it's really more music than I can listen to in a day.

He has a larger, video Ipod, and he loves it. He has 100's of songs and funny video clips.

So there are different versions depending on what you really want to use it for.

Sheri

I bought my daughter an Ipod Mini and I wasn't too impressed with it, all the songs have to be converted. I'm much happier with my iRiver, its got a radio, I use it as a backup device, its easy to upload songs to. iRiver over iPod anyday.

Ok, cheapskate here. I decided to buy an mp3 player to use at the gym earlier this year. I initially was going to get a Zen Nano, but found a 1G Ipod Shuffle for $45 on clearance. Guess which one I bought. I've had no problem adding mp3's to it, but I haven't tried any other formats. I use Winamp instead of iTunes. And yes, cheapness is a sense.
    But are you still master of your domain?

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    Ok, we all use music is all areas of our life. be that home, commute, train, car or road trip, therefore, you should buy a product you can use in all these areas.

For me i used to have an Ipod, but after a early battery issue i borrowed a friends iRiver and let me tell you i was hooked. I have a iRiver H320. i will not bore you why i like it. Here is a bullet point why is it too cool and we are all professionals here.
    - Full color LCD
    - Custom sound with built in base
    - Able to play, mp3, itunes, wma, mp4, mpg, ogg (anything)
    - Can use any down load software or music play service
    - Can b used as an external hard drive for docs, pics, programs
    - Able to play movies with a simple firmware update

The killer feature is the LCD Remote:
    IRiver has included a full LCD remote so you can shuffle through you music by files or folders while the unit is in your backpack and away from people who would want to steal it. As for Ipod it is only a button to go forward or back which is a bit of a problem since you have over 20 gigs of songs and hundreds of artist folders which can bit a bit of a pain in the butt.

The H300 series is a little cheaper than the Ipod, but not by much, but it is far superior on many levels. Also, the new H10 series is a bit naff, so skip it.

Smile
    I drank the iPod koolaid and simply love it!!

Mine is about 3 years old and I have stored multimedia presentations on it, pictures, music, audio books....you name it. It needs a new battery, but I can't part with it for a week. I travel with it, exercise, go to the beach...it is absolutely wonderful!!

My boyfriend just bought the latest, greatest one with Bose headphones and video capabilities. He immediately downloaded all the seasons of Lost In Space from iTunes. Unfortunately, he's become addicted to his iPod and no longer pays attention to me.

I think it is well worth the money. Plus, you can have it replace your stereo with all the cool speakers that are out now.

Ok, I'm running out to get a new one right now!!

Cheers,
    SBA

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Everybody I know with ipods is always sending them back for new memory / drives / batteries / buttons / etc. I won one in an affiliate contest and gave it away. Guy I gave it too had to send it back months later for some reason. If they're practically disposable, I'd say go for the cheaper ones and beat them up and then toss them and get a new one - not an item to be treasured and kept for years. Jam it in your pocket and don't be afraid to leave it in a hot / cold car.

Spend you money on HIGH quality ear buds. In my experience, that's where the real difference in a quality music experience lies.

I would wait to see what MS is coming out with. I would also go with a Zen instead of an iPod

I've had an iPod for about a year and a half and it's great. Nothing looks as cool and I didn't consider anything else as I knew I'd just wish I'd bought an iPod instead. My son had a mini which got nicked and then I replaced it with a nano - which he loves.

I virtually never use mine with ear buds, it's for use in the car mainly (I have a mighty Bose stereo fitted), but I may get an adaptor to connect it to my home stereo. It's just so much better than having a pile of cd's, I've burnt eveything I've got onto my computer and then download it onto the iPod.

One of my favourite uses for it at the moment is podcast susbscriptions to BBC radio programmes, so I can hear all the stuff I'd normally miss - and loads of other stuff I never knew existed.

Get an iPod and connect it to everything you can.

i love my ipod. I had an old 10gb one and then upgraded to a 20gb one (still not video, this was a while ago). I love it. My wife uses the mini, and it works fine too. I got my kid a sandisk player since I wasn't gonna fork over $200 for a nano, but I gotta say that sandisk does as good as ours. it has a screen, and is easy to update. it was like $50 and has expandable memory slot (I think it's sd, but I can't remember).

Oh...I heard that you can buy refurbished Ipods cheap from apple's site.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread