More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Question Personal Creations Popup Commission Killer?
    I was looking to add a particular Personal Creations product when a popup for a 10% discount came up followed by a chat window.

The dialogue went:

CHAT PERSON: How may I assist you today?

ME: How can I save 10%?

CHAT PERSONi: By placing today's order online, I would be happy to share a 10% discount off of your product purchases today.(1 promotion per order)
    Would you like to take advantage of this fantastic offer today?

ME: I need to shop around a bit more. Thanks.
    Has anyone done a test sale on this to see if the commission is taken away with the discount offer?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

If it is like the other programs, it does. Go back and see if you have to complete the order in the CHAT window, if they want you to do that, you can bet your booty they are taking the commission.

I guess I may have to do a little early Christmas shopping and make a test purchase. They say the order is to be completed online, not via phone. So I could still get the commission if all they did was furnish me a discount code for checkout. If on the otherhand the order is completed within the window as you described, it would essentially be the equivalent of a phone order.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    There were threads about this a while back. Supposedly if you go through an affiliate link, the popup doesn't happen. But if a user returns with your cookie, but not through your link, the popup happens and you could loose out on the commission.

I stopped promoting Personal Creations and Lillian Vernon over this issue.

Sometimes even if the merchant says the popup won't occur if the shopper enters through an afflink, if you hang out on the site for a long time, say over 10 minutes up comes the popup.

Generally once a merchant starts to play these games, they can't be trusted.

I believe Billy Kay has investigated this at length in the past.

ABW Ambassador
    Lillian Vernon thread on the "window"

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...9&page=1&pp=25

It doesn't seem to pop on affiliate-sent links any more, but it hasn't been checked out lately.

And the thread on the Overstock "window" that was turning up when surfing high priced items

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60615

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i used to work for a company e-tailer and they have the same feature. We have the chat feature and as Aunt Lily said, Pop up comes on after x-amount of time browsing around.

We do not force the cookie out and the checkout is what you get with the usual checkout. But that chat was more of a help to customer as opposed to selling tool (get 10% off).

So it all depends..

ABW Ambassador
    When LivePerson was popping, you had to order through the window to get the discount, and no, you did NOT get commission if they ordered through the window. I asked and got a straight answer one time.

Those are third-party point of sale attack dogs manning those windows. LivePerson also exhibits at conventions to recruit companies to sell their services to, they're not in-house to help make sales as CSR's, they're in it for a hefty fee like high pressure commissioned telemarketers. They're worse than parasites because they infest the website for every customer who browses, and track their movements too.

If it's genuinely inhouse help it's a different story, but the truth about that is scarcer than hen's teeth. Overstock NEVER answered whether the cookies were being washed - so they were.

Technically, it's a violation of the network TOS and the affiliate agreement, and there could be legal consequences so when companies do it, they'd be fools to admit it.

I just checked the clickthrough via an aff link and no popup resulted. I closed the browser, reopened, and tried again with a direct domain type in and no popup resulted.

BUT... then I tried a direct type in with a different browser (and different cookie) and still no popup until the checkout process. Before, the popup occured before checkout.

Apparently, the popup has been moved back to the checkout. I don't know if it has just been disabled for aff clicks or it has always been disabled.

Maybe they are reading these posts?
    Last edited by Cheesehead; July 20th, 2006 at 09:15 AM.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Those are third-party point of sale attack dogs manning those windows.
    Down boy down!
    (sorry, can't help it)

I think some hot shot in a meeting decided to ditch those who drive the traffic to their site by removing the commission. It might work in the short term but eventually, it will catch up to them and affiliates will move away.

I believe that affilates are your sales force who are doing something for nothing without a fixed income. So why treat them like S***! I have worked for employers who treat me like dirt, and I know how it feels to be down and still being kicked. So I left but I never burned the bridge, and affilaites can do so to. All I can say is treat them right and retire the dogs.

One note - it seems that Lillian Vernon no longer uses the Live Chat service

Right, Bobbie at Lillian Vernon was diligent about getting that removed. It was put onto the site by another marketing channel and she had no idea...BUT as soon as she found out, she fixed it pronto. She is no longer there these days but she was an awesome AM.

Personal creations? Not sure what the scoop is, but they will be sadly missed if they don't address this issue.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    More info on Liveperson.com shows they go beyond just stealing commissions during the checkout/shopping process. SiteAdvisor.com now shows they also install the Adware-CyDoor BHO to whack your other merchant's cookies.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/liv...n.com/summary/
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    How has Personal Creations been more recently? Window still popping?

ABW Ambassador
    Went to the site and browsed to check it out. The window pops and rolls back and forth across the screen in less than 60 seconds for 10% off on "today's order", but instead of taking the order in the window, they give you a promo code to enter in at the checkout.

If it washes cookies it isn't a good thing, but if it gets more same day commissioned orders by offering the "10% today" offer it's a good thing. So I guess it'll take actually placing test orders to see what's up.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread