Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Question Do any of you buy links?
    Well, I'm just baffled on how to increase traffic (read free search engine traffic). I have had lots of nicely linked pages. I have had lots of unique and useful content. I have had friendly coded pages. But one of my sites never got indexed (after 7 months) and one site only has the first page indxed.

    From what I read folks buy links from high ranking web pages to get traffic. I've about adworded myself to death, so why not try it? hey, its only money.

    Any of you ever buy links on a high PR website? Is that a waste too? I dont want to give up, but I'm not sure what to do.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...type=f#quality

    Read them all, but basic principal #3 answers it as does a search here, trust me the function does work.
    Continued Success,

    Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador MoneyBusiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,051
    ABW has a search function??
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

  4. #4
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...type=f#quality

    Read them all, but basic principal #3 answers it as does a search here, trust me the function does work.
    I wasn't talking about "bad neighborhoods," but high ranking sites. Are there bad neighborhoods that have high PR? How is anyone supposed to get inbound links naturally if no one can find them in a search engine and if I purchase links from legitimate sources, I get penalizes? Makes no sense.

  5. #5
    OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate

    Any of you ever buy links on a high PR website? Is that a waste too? I dont want to give up, but I'm not sure what to do.

    Thanks.
    You mean like paying for a banner ad on a site that is relevant to your site? Sure why not. (I understand point 3 on Haiko's link but I don't think that is the same thing) If I have a Christian Site and I went to a Christian Web Zine that got a lot of visitors and had a high PR and Paid for an ad on that Zine that shouldn't penalize me. Correct?
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador MoneyBusiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2006
    Posts
    2,051
    I think Johnny is speaking of textual links. There are one or two brokers on the web that sell text links (with keywords) to individuals. Depending on who you purchase from, I suppose it could be a legit way to gain a tad bit of PR/traffic.

    It is going to cost you a pretty penny though. Getting links on sites with medium to high PR is $$$$.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

  7. #7
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by GethsemeneRose
    You mean like paying for a banner ad on a site that is relevant to your site? Sure why not. (I understand point 3 on Haiko's link but I don't think that is the same thing) If I have a Christian Site and I went to a Christian Web Zine that got a lot of visitors and had a high PR and Paid for an ad on that Zine that shouldn't penalize me. Correct?
    No, I mean a real inbound link from a PR5 - PR7 website. I saw an article on seochat that claimed it was a legitimate thing.

  8. #8
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I think Johnny is speaking of textual links. There are one or two brokers on the web that sell text links (with keywords) to individuals. Depending on who you purchase from, I suppose it could be a legit way to gain a tad bit of PR/traffic.

    It is going to cost you a pretty penny though. Getting links on sites with medium to high PR is $$$$.
    yes. it is very expensive. That's why I thought I would ask first.

  9. #9
    OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    465
    Well I know some of these 'zines "sell" reviews of your site a full paragraph or 3 on a page about "partners" with your keywords and text would that be bad?
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,420
    Don't buy links. Instead, build permanent, relevant links.

  11. #11
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    From what I understand, if Google knows that it's a paid link, especially with the intentions of getting PR from it, it either doesn't count or may result in a penalty. I know that when I bought some links on a mid-PR directory a couple of years ago, it did me no favors with the Algo--my ranks for those sites dropped. Needless to say, I let the contracts expire.

    Best bet, I recall reading somewhere, is to find sites that don't outright say that they sell links, and make them an offer. I haven't tested this myself, but I know that some pretty big sites do it. So either they're onto something--or they're smoking something. It's hard to say since the site I'm thinking of also *probably* has a lot of natural links in the mix, confounding the issue.

  12. #12
    ABW Founder Haiko de Poel, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,609
    Any "known" text link broker is a "bad neighborhood", if you contact a specific site for a specific link, that's a diff story as GR mentions.

    BTW - my definition of "known" is (1) you've seen their ads in google adsense, or (2) if text and link are in the URL where you're buying the link

    MB - Yepsters, but you'd never think so tho
    Continued Success,

    Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

  13. #13
    Super Sh!t Stirrer SSanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    I sponsor a site that I am very found of.

    Yes, I get links and traffic. But, I also DO support the site and its Pagan goals. They depend on selling ads to stay on the net because their costs are out the ceiling.

    I don't think it is any of Google's business if I want to sponsor a site of my choice, especially one relevant to my religious path! If they penalize me for that F' 'em!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

  14. #14
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Here's something like I was saying:

    linkadage.com/Auction/XcAuctionPro.asp

    not vouching for this place. I just found them. I have no idea if they are legitimate, but it gives an example of what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 19th, 2006 at 03:16 PM. Reason: removed hotlink

  15. #15
    Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2006
    Posts
    652
    From Google's webmaster quality guidelines page that Haiko referred to:

    Make pages for users, not for search engines.
    HA! So there's utterly no use in doing SEO, right Google? Make the page for users and just hope, hope, hope that someone just might come to it. Or if you're GethsemeneRose, pray, pray, pray.

    This advice is such crap considering the algorithmic update that G just put in place for PPC. Now you have to build your pages that your paid ads lead to, also, specifically to work with Google's SE. Hypocrisy.

  16. #16
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    From Google's webmaster quality guidelines page that Haiko referred to:


    HA! So there's utterly no use in doing SEO, right Google? Make the page for users and just hope, hope, hope that someone just might come to it. Or if you're GethsemeneRose, pray, pray, pray.

    This advice is such crap considering the algorithmic update that G just put in place for PPC. Now you have to build your pages that your paid ads lead to, also, specifically to work with Google's SE. Hypocrisy.
    I'd settle for a regularly used search engine that had say, oh, maybe a quarter of Googles hits if I had a real chance of PR.

  17. #17
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Well, I'm just baffled on how to increase traffic (read free search engine traffic). I have had lots of nicely linked pages. I have had lots of unique and useful content. I have had friendly coded pages. But one of my sites never got indexed (after 7 months) and one site only has the first page indexed.
    Johnny, that sounds really good. Do you have a blog to accompany your nicely linked pages?
    Do you have any "blog friends?" I have never met any "blog friend" in person, we just became interested in eachother's blogs.

    There's a few blogs that I read on a daily/weekly basis and my comments on their blogs always has a link to my blog that is loosely related to my sites and has lots of commentary on current events (entertainment/fluff & lightweight stuff usually with some exceptions).

    Something like this keeps you in a cyberspace loop & it's fun.
    Find some bloggers & get into their "circuit" (start by posting comments in their blogs).
    It's certainly cheaper than buying links.

    I get what I call "the usual traffic from Google & some other search engines" plus I occasionally get some "unusual but interesting traffic" from Google:

    Today I received an unexpected e-mail from a journalist/newscaster doing a story related to a comment I wrote on rebate checks -- now how I was picked out of the millions of bloggers out in cyberspace amazes me. I wonder why Google highlights nit-picked really secondary portions of my blog?

    I returned an e-mail and requested the exact link to the post (as that sounds like a post I could have made but I've made so many posts that I am not sure which post prompted the journalist to e-mail me).
    Hey, I don't think the journalist bought anything from my site, but it was an interesting e-mail about a topic of secondary interest and it proves that I appear in Google in more places than one.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  18. #18
    Full Member
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2005
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    From Google's webmaster quality guidelines page that Haiko referred to:


    HA! So there's utterly no use in doing SEO, right Google? Make the page for users and just hope, hope, hope that someone just might come to it. Or if you're GethsemeneRose, pray, pray, pray.

    This advice is such crap considering the algorithmic update that G just put in place for PPC. Now you have to build your pages that your paid ads lead to, also, specifically to work with Google's SE. Hypocrisy.

    Yeah, I can't believe they actually posted that in their "webmaster" section. Everyone knows that if you don't SEO your pages, they will be at the bottom of the birdcage and never be indexed or seen by users. Then, what's the point of even making a site.

  19. #19
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2006
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Johnny, that sounds really good. Do you have a blog to accompany your nicely linked pages?
    Do you have any "blog friends?" I have never met any "blog friend" in person, we just became interested in eachother's blogs.

    There's a few blogs that I read on a daily/weekly basis and my comments on their blogs always has a link to my blog that is loosely related to my sites and has lots of commentary on current events (entertainment/fluff & lightweight stuff usually with some exceptions).

    Something like this keeps you in a cyberspace loop & it's fun.
    Find some bloggers & get into their "circuit" (start by posting comments in their blogs).
    It's certainly cheaper than buying links.

    I get what I call "the usual traffic from Google & some other search engines" plus I occasionally get some "unusual but interesting traffic" from Google:

    Today I received an unexpected e-mail from a journalist/newscaster doing a story related to a comment I wrote on rebate checks -- now how I was picked out of the millions of bloggers out in cyberspace amazes me. I wonder why Google highlights nit-picked really secondary portions of my blog?

    I returned an e-mail and requested the exact link to the post (as that sounds like a post I could have made but I've made so many posts that I am not sure which post prompted the journalist to e-mail me).
    Hey, I don't think the journalist bought anything from my site, but it was an interesting e-mail about a topic of secondary interest and it proves that I appear in Google in more places than one.
    When do you ask them if you can put your webpage in your signature in the comments you make?

    I still wonder if I had a blog of my own in a separate hosting company if that would help my "money" site?

    I don't mean to sound unappreciative for your suggestions. I will do just as you said. But why does it sound really good to hardly have any PR at all? It sounds terrible to me.

  20. #20
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    When do you ask them if you can put your webpage in your signature in the comments you make?
    I don't spam a fancy sig
    (I try to start humbly )
    I just link my name to my site: Rhia7

    Some blogs do not have a comments link but the ones that do usually have you fill out a small form in which you type your name and/or site name, the url to your site & your e-mail. I usually type my name and I link that to the url of my blog.

    If you write an interesting response -- a one liner/comment people will follow the link to your site.

    I am talking about writing an interesting and/or useful or funny or enlightening or friendly (you get the picture) comment on a "quality blog."

    What's a "quality blog?"
    Did you read something that you found interesting on that blog? If so, Bingo.

    Another way is to visit and participate in a forum related to your site and the products you sell on your site.

    As an example, let's say you sell products for the home and you notice there is a home improvement forum: if you could give people advice on how-to projects, you'd become popular pretty soon and people would follow the links to your site.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I still wonder if I had a blog of my own in a separate hosting company if that would help my "money" site?
    You could try it. If you are looking for hosting solely for a blog, I'd think you could do that on fairly inexpensive hosting.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I don't mean to sound unappreciative for your suggestions. I will do just as you said.
    I'm not forcing you to do anything. Whether you follow my advice or not it's no skin off my nose

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    But why does it sound really good to hardly have any PR at all? It sounds terrible to me.
    I'm not telling you to avoid PR.

    Are you the one with the shoes site or was that somebody else? (Doesn't really matter)

    My advice will usually be conservative when it comes to spending/handling money.

    There are times when spending money on publicity or on an advertising campaign can be a good investment: are you at that point yet?

    I always try money-saving suggestions in the beginning.
    Read these (free) tips to help your blog become known.

    If your blog is really good and you meet their editorial and technical criteria, you can submit your blog to the NewsNow Publisher Network but the other advice listed above will probably be all you need.

    Good luck
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. CJ Links on Buy Now Buttons?
    By zeruel in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM
  2. Buy.com Product Links
    By leaddo in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 8th, 2005, 08:53 PM
  3. Buy.com and links to other sites
    By Asif in forum Rakuten LinkShare - LS
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 6th, 2004, 06:23 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 13th, 2004, 11:58 PM
  5. Best Buy product links?
    By paulcook in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 26th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •