Question konasports
    What's the deal with Kona sports?

They've been online since 03/29/2005 but their stats are zeros across the board.

Have they EVER gotten a commisionable sale at SAS?

Very Skeptical....

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nope!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Shareasale need to start doing compliance tests to test compliance. Their current use of that term is very misleading.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    What's the deal with Kona Sports. First off they dump me on Avantlink recently. I thought no problem as I'm still with them on shareAsale. Earlier I get an email that they have also dumped me on ShareAsale? is it hunting season to cull affiliates with no sale or maybe they just don't like me?

I use their links on a watersports website, on Avantlink and had changed or was still changing them to SAS but I also use them on a coupon site. I don't see anything to say they don't allow coupon sites and in fact it says "* Coupon Feeds" available in SAS.

It's not really a big deal as I have also never had one sale with this outfit so they obviously have very poor conversion going by that and this thread but I'm curious to what their problem is here and would like to get to the bottom if it? I don't buy into the "we can dump affiliates whenever we want with no notice BS" as I put a lot of work putting their products up on my watersport website.

I also notice they are running low on funds, maybe the AM has been asked to start producing or they get fired so probably thinks axing affiliates that have not made a sale due to their bad conversion is going to solve the problem duh!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Have you asked the two networks for assistance?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Have you asked the two networks for assistance?
    No as it's not an important merchant and I would rather not bother them unless it was very important. I also prefer to expose this type of shoddy treatment publicly and see if other affiliates are also having the same issues!
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

For what it's worth - just pulled SAS emails and at 8:56PM Mountain time, we too, were removed...

8. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    For what it's worth - just pulled SAS emails and at 8:56PM Mountain time, we too, were removed...
    Must be time to deactivate all affiliates that have no sales lately, I guess this is the case with you too! Obviously the AM is an uniformed noob trying to impress their boss with stats. good luck to him/her, time to spend extra time promoting their competitors that convert.

Anyone know of programs that sell Skimboards?

ABW Ambassador
    I will send them an email now to let them know of this thread.....

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by glittered View Post
    Must be time to deactivate all affiliates that have no sales lately, I guess this is the case with you too! Obviously the AM is an uniformed noob trying to impress their boss with stats. good luck to him/her, time to spend extra time promoting their competitors that convert.
    They weren't high up on the priority list after we shelved our sporting goods project.

Besides, they never sent out affiliate emails - all were retail. Shame on you Chris @ Konasports.com...

13. Thanks From:

heh: 30 Day Reversal Rate of 17.31%.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

15. Thanks From:

You are going to lose your minds over this one.

Visit the homepage, scroll down and you'll see them linking to affiliate sites to find coupons and a datafeed site.

I can't make this up. But they say they have dedicated affiliate management.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

17. Thanks From:

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    LiveWellSports.com and Winward Board Shop may be an alternate option for you - we actually had Winward in our latest catalog at ShareASale Summer Catalog 2013 if you want to take a look.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

19. Thanks From:

Marketing Manager seankonasports's Avatar
    Good Evening everyone,

My name is Sean Peterson. I am the new Marketing Manager for Kona Sports, and have been since late March.

I first off would like to apologize for rubbing some of you the wrong way by removing your website from our affiliate program on ShareASale. Since Kona Sports launched its affiliate marketing program with ShareASale in March 2005, there have been quite a few people in charge of managing our affiliate program, and unfortunately the time and dedication was clearly not put into making it a successful partnership for everyone involved. They used to accept every single affiliate request to join our program....EVERY SINGLE REQUEST. Over the past 8 years, this has evolved into just over 1800 affiliates total in our program.

In order to kickstart an affiliate program that hasn't really produced over the past 8 years, it's absolutely in my best interest to go through each and every affiliate to verify the following things:

1. The affiliate's site is relevant to the products that we offer
    2. The affiliate's site links properly (isn't a broken/invalid link)
    3. Has a contact form on the site for me to utilize if I was not provided with contact information for the affiliate

If I removed your site from our program, it's because it failed to meet one of the criteria above. However, I highly encourage you and invite you to email me to discuss being placed back on our affiliate program. I maintain daily contact via email with affiliates that I have been able to establish contact with. I might be brand new to affiliate management, but I am looking to work with affiliates, new or existing, who want this partnership to succeed as much as I do. I am learning new things each and every day, and although I will make mistakes along the way, I will give 110% to correct the situation.

Please email me at: sean@konasports.com.

Cheers,

Sean Peterson
    Marketing Manager | Kona Sports
    sean@konasports.com

21. Thanks From:

Exclamation
    so your experience is in management, but not affiliate management? perhaps you look at affiliate-based commissions as advertising cost. could even be driven by EPC . . .

I think you should have at first divided up the mailing list of affiliates according to production, given a pep talk and thankyou to the best and started a long conversation with the rest.

there's a lot to be said for taking on an experienced OPM for a half year or so to wake up a program, also.

Marketing Manager seankonasports's Avatar
    Thank you for your response Herb.

At the moment, I am writing up a survey to email the remaining affiliates, asking them to reply back if they want to keep the partnership and work at it with me daily. I will send it out twice, and those who don't reply back both times will be removed.

I've been approached about OPM. I am, however, very interested in learning affiliate management from the ground up through my own honest efforts. I am hungry to form these relationships with my own effort and hustle. I will not be that stubborn new guy at Kona Sports that can't cross his T's no matter how hard he tries.

If you would like to discuss this further in more private detail, please don't hesitate to message me on here, or email me at sean@konasports.com.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for coming here and replying Sean. Obviously you need to learn a lot yet in affiliate marketing and I suggest you spend a lot of time on this forum reading up many things and becoming active here and you will eventually gain respect from affiliates and may attract some super affiliates as well.

What you should have done at the start of your new job instead of axing all these affiliates like me who spent a lot of time on placing your products and links up on our websites was to contact them all first in a friendly manner and see if they had interest in still promoting Kona Sports etc. Unfortunately I think the damage is done and you will never see many of those affiliates again. I have a contact form both of my websites I was promoting you with and I'm able to be contacted through ShareASale as far as I know.

I will think about applying again but I have more important things on right now and I would like to see how your program improves with the conversions first. Best of luck!
    Last edited by glittered; June 7th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seankonasports View Post

In order to kickstart an affiliate program that hasn't really produced over the past 8 years, it's absolutely in my best interest to go through each and every affiliate to verify the following things:

1. The affiliate's site is relevant to the products that we offer
    2. The affiliate's site links properly (isn't a broken/invalid link)
    3. Has a contact form on the site for me to utilize if I was not provided with contact information for the affiliate[/email]
    1. Shareasale is archaic in the way affiliates can list ALL their sites. MOST affiliates have more sites than YOU do.
    2. If you don't know of ALL of their sites, how can you check?
    3. Again, while we personally have contact pages on every site, if you don't know all of our sites...

Also,

You may want to read the rules about signatures...

27. Thanks From:

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread