Buy.com adds Price Comparison
    I just read some major news over at Comparison Engines. Apparently Buy.com is introducing a price comparison feature to their product pages. Here is an example:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...0&loc=105&sp=1

Now I'd like to know how affiliates are going to be compensated for these clicks. Apparently Buy.com is working with Pricegrabber, so they're on a PPC basis. Will Buy.com's affiliates be awarded a percentage of each Pricegrabber click? If not, this is a huge leak that needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure if this has gone fully live yet because I checked a few of my links and they're landing on pages without the price comparison. Maybe Melissa can fill us in on how this is going to work?

- Scott
    Last edited by Snib; July 21st, 2006 at 05:09 PM.
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Nice catch. I guess it's time to drop buy.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I just read some major news over at Comparison Engines. Apparently Buy.com is introducing a price comparison feature to their product pages. Here is an example:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...0&loc=105&sp=1

Now I'd like to know how affiliates are going to be compensated for these clicks. Apparently Buy.com is working with Pricegrabber, so they're on a PPC basis. Will Buy.com's affiliates be awarded a percentage of each Pricegrabber click? If not, this is a huge leak that needs to be fixed.

I'm not sure if this has gone fully live yet because I checked a few of my links and they're landing on pages without the price comparison. Maybe Melissa can fill us in on how this is going to work?

- Scott

After further investigation I noticed once my cookie was set the original URL removed the price comparison. So it seems like it's disabled when an affiliate sends a customer.

- Scott

wow, I really DONT like that they're adding that.
    But I think when they put some other ads on their pages, they made it so links from affiliates don't have the other links, so maybe they'll set it up like that?

Will the leak be there if a customer if a customer leaves and then comes back later?

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    Will the leak be there if a customer if a customer leaves and then comes back later?
    Good question. Maybe Melissa can fill us in on that.

- Scott

why is it called a "leak" when a merchant acts like an affiliate?

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    Because the original referring affiliates don't get paid for their traffic.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by best123
    Because affiliates send customers to the merchant to earn commissions. If these customers can simply click away from the merchant site to another site it's considered a leak if there is no compensation for the click. Just like when a merchant has a phone number for phone orders. Customers can follow affiliate links to the merchant and the customer can place a phone order without the affiliate getting credit for the sale.

- Scott

ahh it makes sense. thanks.

In this case, it isn't a leak. As Snib already pointed out, if there is an affiliate cookie the price comparison is suppressed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

True Michael, but what if Buy.com starts to market as a comparison engine... Then the affiliates doing text or banner advertising to Buy.com, and INFORMING the customer that they are being sent to Buy.com will potentially be disappointing their visitors.

"I thought Buy.com had comparisons?"....

Full marks to them for suppressing at this time, but it opens some long term questions...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

They also block Yub.com, AdSense, and most of their ads. They're actually quite good about avoiding leaks.

I do see your point, though. If they do start promoting the price comparisons and people find them valuable, it could cause some issues when they're missing for affiliate links.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I read another thread (can't remember which one) where the leak is blocked if the customer is taken to the merchant from the affiliate link, but the leak is there if the customer returns later by not clicking on the affiliate link.

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    I read another thread (can't remember which one) where the leak is blocked if the customer is taken to the merchant from the affiliate link, but the leak is there if the customer returns later by not clicking on the affiliate link.
    I just tested that theory and the price comparison is still missing after clicking several hours ago. I hope it's gone at least until the cookie duration is met. It would be nice if it's constantly there but affiliates get a % of the click earnings, but there may be more technical problems with that than it's worth.

- Scott

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread