I just started NutriSystem
    My rating:

Convenience: 9 out of 10
    Flexibility/depth of menu options: 8 out of 10
    Ingredient quality: 7 out of 10
    Flavor: 6.5 out of 10

Also WAY too few calories for someone with an active lifestyle. The men's program is only 1500-1800/day.

Anyone else with experience here that can comment?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    No experience, but...

It may be healthier to just eat what you need for your ideal weight, rather than going into the starvation range, but a lot of people demand FAST RESULTS, and are couch/desk potatoes. About the only way to get FAST RESULTS while remaining sitting on their butts is starvation.

The amount of "very active" people on a program like that is probably something like 1%...

ABW Ambassador
    "The men's program is only 1500-1800/day."

All the programs are in that calorie range. I remember reading in Consumer Reports about the various programs, Nutrisystem, Weightwatchers etc. and the caloric intake was pretty much the same range. So eating that amount of calories and you'll lose weight, no matter what you eat.

Internet Cowboy
    Between being an affiliate for three years and quitting smoking a year ago, I have gained a lot of weight.
    I looked hard at NS and some of the other programs, but decided to lose weight just like I quit smoking. I have told everyone I know that I am going to lose 100 pounds and I am blogging every day what I eat, my exercise levels for that day and my weight for the day. It is out there for all of my friends and family to see so I am somewhat accountable to them.
    I discussed this further in an interview I did today that will be out soon. I am really disgusted with myself for letting myself get so far gone on the weight situation but I am damned and determined to get it off....and I will. It sure is a LOT harder to lose weight at 42 than it was in my 20's or 30's.
    I calculated my caloric intake to maintain my weight and I reduced it by 40%. If I want to eat more, I have to exercise more that day. I am walking two miles a day, not much but a hell of a lot more than I have been doing in two years. If I know we are going out at night for dinner and I will blow that day, I force myself to walk extra that day and the next day. I see it as somehow punishing myself, but if it works I am OK with that.
    I am a big believer in bragging (not really bragging, but announcing) to friends and family when you take on something like losing weight or quitting smoking. Be almost obnoxious about it so that those people will become your coaches. Should you slip somewhere down the road, you feel accountable to them. It is mostly just bullshitting yourself, not much different than setting your watch 5 minutes ahead so you are never late (which I don't do, don't own a watch) but if it works it works.
    I feel LIGHTYEARS better since I quit smoking and am still quite proud of myself for that. I can only imagine how much better I will feel when I get this weight off.

Best of luck, Joe!! I'm pullin' for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I feel LIGHTYEARS better since I quit smoking and am still quite proud of myself for that. I can only imagine how much better I will feel when I get this weight off.
    Best of luck to you Scooter. You managed to kick smoking, which is incredibly hard to do. I need to do the same, but of course, it's the one thing I'm not having any luck with. Gonna do it one day I guess!

Congrats again (you too Joe!)

Take care.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Yeah...I have no interest in starving. I'm keeping myself around 2200 a day at this point...
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

I am blogging every day what I eat,
    I on the other hand are eating everything I see at food blogs! I am gaining weight. I don't dare to stop smoking.

Poops

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I just hope you're buying it from my link (to another CPA)

I get $75 a pop

I've always found that a reasonable diet with the addition of excercise works wonders for me. I don't feel like I'm starving myself or denying my self and simply lose the pounds by exercising more (and I mean simple stuff like walking).
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Best of luck, Joe!! I'm pullin' for ya!
    Damn Scooter, you go!

My situation is a bit different. I was 6', 185 lbs with about 9-11% body fat until I hurt myself in a "freak" judo accident last year. It put me off my game for a couple of months. I've never been a fan of dieting..I've always eaten whatever I want and had enough of an active lifestyle to more than make up for it. However with the immobilizing effect of that injury I couldn't work out, so I ballooned up to 215 or so. I'm still only around 17% body fat but I REALLY need to be more like at 10% to be happy.

I'm still not playing judo due to a move that put me 40 minutes from my dojo, so I'm lifting a lot and trying to run, but teaching myself good eating habits is equal parts NECESSARY and DIFFICULT. I'm really doing Nutrisystem because of the "idiot proofing." It forces me to comply because everything is pre-portioned. I can't fudge and make a 6 oz chicken breast turn into 14 oz.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I have not done NutriSystem but I'm following the G.I. diet with e-Diets.com right now and I like it because it fits in with my regular eating habits for the most part and I don't feel hungry at all.

G.I. stands for Glycemic Impact Diet which abides by the Glycemic Index for various foods to determine what you should or should not be eating. It's more about keeping your blood sugar levels in check so you don't become insulin resistant but it is beneficial for losing weight because it is a higher protein, decreased carb diet without being extreme. The ratio is actually 40% carbs, 30% lean healthy proteins and 30% something else (sorry it's slipping my mind). I started last Wednesday and lost 3.5 lbs this week despite having eaten birthday cake at a party on Sunday... OOPS!

And - again, I'm not putting my liver into ketosis like some might do with Atkins, and I'm not starving - no where near it actually.The diet tells you what to eat for breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and evening snack. It just focuses on a lot of dairy proteins... this diet is not ideal for folks who don't like cheese - especially cottage cheese as it's popular for breakfast and snacks in this diet.

That's my $0.02.

ABW Ambassador
    "I was 6', 185 lbs with about 9-11% body fat"

Damn, we're pretty much the same size. I'm 6ft maybe 6 1 and was 185 before starting affiliate markerting, then got up to 220 from sitting all day in front of the computer, not exercising and not eating right. So got back to 190 right now, still want to lose a few more maybe and getting back to working out some and slowly back to eating right.

"The ratio is actually 40% carbs, 30% lean healthy proteins and 30% something else (sorry it's slipping my mind)."

Fat the other thing. It's the high protein. When I used to work out, I ate a lot shooting for 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Like I said that's a lot and that ratio looks to be near that.

There you go...1g protein per pound of lean muscle mass.

That is SOOOO hard to do. Looking at a chicken breast or a can of tuna makes me nauseauos at this point.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    "That is SOOOO hard to do. Looking at a chicken breast or a can of tuna makes me nauseauos at this point."

It is hard but I used to do it awhile back. Couldn't stomach the protein powders for some reason but used to live off the little cans of Swanson White Chicken Breast. Right now I have my shelves full with them but really haven't started yet. The little cans are 4.5 oz. only 125 calories with 25 grams of protein. Back then I was shooting for around 180 grams of protein a day. I was eating other foods that gave be protein but this was a very easy way to get it.

"Looking at a chicken breast or a can of tuna makes me nauseauos at this point."

I used to work at a grocery store and had this one guy who was a body builder buy the cans of tuna by the box.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

"The ratio is actually 40% carbs, 30% lean healthy proteins and 30% something else (sorry it's slipping my mind)."

Fat the other thing. It's the high protein. When I used to work out, I ate a lot shooting for 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. Like I said that's a lot and that ratio looks to be near that.
    OH RIGHT - FAT.... how could I forget???? *rolls eyes*

Thanks for the reminder... UGH!

Fortunately companies like APEX have really advanced protein bar technology..otherwise I'd probably be eating 24 egg whites a day....
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    Ah, completely forgot about the egg whites. There was something I bought in the frozen food section, came in a little carton, frozen egg whites. Used to use that too. At the time I was very active so I was actually trying to put on a little weight so I could eat just about anything I wanted. I used to eat a lot of beef too, spaghetti but watched the pasta since that has a lot of carbs. Now when I make spaghetti I just use ground chuck but back then got the 93% lean. I probably went a little overboard, I used to measure everything, watching the protein/fat/carbs/calories. Would even take note of the parmesan cheese I sprinkled on my spaghetti. Kept good logs of my workouts and diet, everything. But it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Ah, completely forgot about the egg whites. There was something I bought in the frozen food section, came in a little carton, frozen egg whites. Used to use that too. At the time I was very active so I was actually trying to put on a little weight so I could eat just about anything I wanted. I used to eat a lot of beef too, spaghetti but watched the pasta since that has a lot of carbs. Now when I make spaghetti I just use ground chuck but back then got the 93% lean. I probably went a little overboard, I used to measure everything, watching the protein/fat/carbs/calories. Would even take note of the parmesan cheese I sprinkled on my spaghetti. Kept good logs of my workouts and diet, everything. But it worked.

Try 50% ground buffalo, 50% ground turkey for the meatballs.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    No experience, but...

It may be healthier to just eat what you need for your ideal weight, rather than going into the starvation range, but a lot of people demand FAST RESULTS, and are couch/desk potatoes. About the only way to get FAST RESULTS while remaining sitting on their butts is starvation.

i have experience on this and Leader is right. albeit i was only able to do that with the use of drugs, and then when i stopped taking the drugs, the weight came back with some extra..lol

what i would have to do to lose weight is like take up hiking or go camping where i have to catch, pick or kill whatver i eat...i hate working out....i have no problem running after a wounded animal in a hunt or running to the pizza place before they close, but i am not running just for my health....or even just swimming for itself, I have to go spearfishing..make it more interesting. i got this expensive treadmill that just sits there...but its just too boring walking on it staring at a wall or the television...so unnatural. true, its not natural to have access to countless items from fast food to pizza but thats too tempting.

i do know that sitting on the computer too much will be adverse for your health. our bodies it seems are not designed for our lives to be that easy.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread