Is this really someone from Google
    According to my stats just had a visitor from Google itself

Location Mountain View, CA, United States
    Organization GOOGLE
    I.P. Address 72.14.194.33
    Browser Firefox 1.5

Is this likely to be a Google employee ?

Never seen that before.

The odd thing is that the referrer url is really weird

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xxx.co.uk%2Fwidgets%2Fwidget.htm

Then what is really really weird is that same referrer url also shows up a bit earlier, only not from Google this time, but two other differnt ISPs in different parts of the USA.

All three visiors are using firefox but are unlikely to be the same person as have different # screen colours / resolution.

Probably nothing to it apart from the fact we are all now paranoid about Google is up to.

BTW Anyone see that Google has just posted results and profits are up 100% .

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    BTW Anyone see that Google has just posted results and profits are up 100% .
    Light bulbs sometimes shine brighter when they're ready to burn out.

Overture's results went up when they first started being stupid to affiliates, too.
    But they ended up being eaten by Yahoo--and allowing affiliates back in.
    The fact that they let aff sites back into their paid results tells me that the anti-affiliate plan wasn't so bright after all.

It would seem that if indeed their strategy is affiliate elimination from PPC and index, then they are banking PRETTY HARD on merchant adaptation to the gcart.

Wise merchants will be wary, if they think through their involvement. At what price do you compromise your customer info?

You'd have to think that a large volume of both adsense and adwords revenue come from an affiliate source, so these results may not be indicative of future performance
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    So you think maybe it's those quality control people looking to see if your site is a "thin" affiliate site?

So you think maybe it's those quality control people looking to see if your site is a "thin" affiliate site?
    I do wonder if "thin affiliate" is really the right term as working from home tends to be bad news for the waist line.

my best site is anorexic, but working on it is turning me into a flab-o

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    OMG - that's too funny!

I do wonder if "thin affiliate" is really the right term as working from home tends to be bad news for the waist line.
    I see a support group in our future. I have started loosening my belt when I work. I'm just not going to buy bigger pants.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Light bulbs sometimes shine brighter when they're ready to burn out.

Overture's results went up when they first started being stupid to affiliates, too.
    But they ended up being eaten by Yahoo--and allowing affiliates back in.
    The fact that they let aff sites back into their paid results tells me that the anti-affiliate plan wasn't so bright after all.
    Sure, But back then, overture was worth a billion dollars and was merely a company in a business similar to that of an ad agency. posting your ads on many publications for a fee. Google, on the other hand, is a huge media co. (worth abour 130 billion dollars) a giant consortium of many publications that hold the power to swing public opinion about anything. Their reach is much much greater than that of overture back then. I mean, it's even like comparing apples and scrambled eggs.

I mean, let's face it, we affiliates are a headache to the SEs.
    No matter how much unique content we embed into our sites, no matter how different we try to look or how much we innovate our refferal models, ultimately, if the top 20 URLS in any SERP ultimately point to the same merchant, where is the value to the searcher - the consumer? they are not looking for more convincing to buy from xyz.com in every result visited, they are looking for choices, multiple choices.

Remove the affiliate angle of the equation and all is solved.

Sure, merchants will make less money - with less traffic from their affiliates, but the searchers will get what the go to the search engine for, choice.

Not that I am pro the recent changes in the PPC structure. I think that this will reduce the motivation for merchants to constantly innovate their affiliate programs and will make affiliate marketing - which is the daily bread for most of us here - less important in the grand scheme of internet retail. Maybe retailers will have to go back a little in time and increase their advertising budgets dramatically. this can result in a lot of closed shops, for smaller merchants who can not afford big money, dont' convert as well with per click advertising, or easily become victims of click fraud and depended on affiliates to bring quality pre-sold traffic to their sites.

See what I was saying? google has that power, it can cause earth quakes everytime it farts.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    10c, a billion, 130 billion.

The fundamental principals of business are the same no matter how many digits the figure has. Stopping people from doing business with you for no sensible reason= suicide move.

If it turns out that affiliates are responsible for a large portion of their ad income (and I think we are), they will suffer greatly for their idiot move. Their size will just mean there's more money for them to lose!

IBM used to be a big invincible-looking megacorp, too, and they almost ended up being history. Google is not untouchable either.

I mean, let's face it, we affiliates are a headache to the SEs.
    Only because they choose to be wanks! They've decided to declare a "problem" where there is none. That's their insanity's fault, not ours.

We are no more a problem than the zillions of US news sites, who all use UP and API news feeds and National Weather Service weather reports. Or all the sites of other types that use syndicated content. In other words, we are not a real problem to SEs.

Their attempts to define it differently are not borne of anything sensible. Google is chasing away good money; the Market will wield its axe against that folly one way or the other.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread