Question Connection Issues
    I'm not sure where to post....

I need some serious help...nobody seems to have any answers.

For the past week, I haven't been able to access certain websites for hours at a time. Then magically I can access them. It mainly occurs on my personal website.

Our home network consists of a Dell notebook, Apple iBook, and 2 homemade desktops. We connect to Comcast thru a D-link 802.11g router and Linksys modem. We've cleared the cache etc., bypassed the router, replaced both router and modem and still have connection issues. The site is up because we can connect thru proxy server. It's not a DNS issue; because we can't connect via IP address either.

What could possibly be wrong?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    1) do you have a cordless phone in the house?
    2) is it a 900mhz phone or 2.4ghz?
    3) does your connection drop when you get a call?

if all answers are YES, then it's your phone.

you wireles network works on the 2.4 ghz bandwidth.
    so when you pick up the phone, guess what, u lose your connection...

If it's just some sites that you can't connect to, it's either your ISP or someone upstream from your ISP that is having some intermittent backbone connectivity issues. My experience with cable is that this is a fairly frequent problem.

What Eric is describing is a different problem, which is basically a conflict between 2.4 GHz phones and 802.11 wireless networks (which also operate at 2.4 GHz). If you have a wireless network, you'll want to stick with 900 MHz or use the newer 5.8 GHz phones.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

is the server hosted in house?
    ISP? is it the same with your hosting company or using the main backbone?
    more info...

If you do a traceroute next time you have a problem, it should be fairly obvious where the problem is. In Windows, open a Command Prompt (run "cmd") and type "tracert [IP or domain name]". It'll show up to 30 hops to get from your computer to the server that the site is on. If you see it drop off after one hop ("* * * connection timed out") or a loop (one or two connections continually repeated) or an unreachable destination ("...reports: Destination net unreachable"), that's where the problem is. It might also be helpful to do a traceroute when it's working so you have something to compare to.

Calling the cable company, even when you have proof from a traceroute as to where the problem is, is usually a futile effort. They'll tell you that you need to reset your cable modem. They'll tell you that you need to remove your router. They'll tell you that you have a bad cable modem. They'll tell you that you need to reinstall windows. They'll tell you that windows is configured wrong. They'll never acknowledge that the problem is on their end.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Not meaning to intrude, but while you are on the subject of tracert, what would it mean (on a server) if the first hop times out, the 2 hop connects, then the 3th-17th time out, but the final destination, the 18th hop connects at 739ms, 830ms, 780ms?

This happens no matter what domain I try to access.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Another reason you may not be able to access specific websites using a cable or broadband connection is because your router is set to obtain your IP address automatically. It took me MANY hours to figure that out a while back.

Usually obtaining an IP automatically isn't a big deal, but if your cable company did something funky recently to the way they cache'd the DNS or are working from an old cache, it can result in you not being able to access a certain website.

The solution is to set up a static IP.

I did a google search and here is a link to a site that shows you how to set up a static IP with XP:
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    Not meaning to intrude, but while you are on the subject of tracert, what would it mean (on a server) if the first hop times out, the 2 hop connects, then the 3th-17th time out, but the final destination, the 18th hop connects at 739ms, 830ms, 780ms?

This happens no matter what domain I try to access.
    Read here to understand ttl within tracert:
    http://www.wurd.com/misc_tracert.php

Know that many routers/hubs can be set to not reply for security or other legit reasons (adn show as time outs because of that).

TTL death is a little like hopscotch... send out a packet with ttl = 1, goes one hop, ttl decrements to 0, gets bounced back as dead, and time is recorded. Two more are sent, so an average time can be sensed (or 3 tries to look for intermittent problems). Then 3 more are sent out, with ttl = 2, after 2 hops, they come back. And so on until destination is reached or 30 hops (most apps, like tracert, default to 30 hops max, but you can work around that where needed).

So you're earlier time outs are probably your ISP's local hubs and routers in your last mile - don't sweat their time outs - fairly normal to have last mile routers and hubs set to be ttl quiet.

Your question drills down to why are all those intermediate hops not coming back. Remember the intentionally-set-to-not-live-very-long ICMP ttl packet goes until it's decremented to zero, then comes back home so timing can be determined (that's what tracert does - send out doomed packets, sequentially longer, until destination is hit). So somewhere close to you, along the wire, in the second or third hop / hub likely, that server is set to not pass along (back along the return path to you), the packets that are expired. Some ninny brained net surgeon who controls that server has decided these are a security risk or bog down the server (which is wrong). So the only come-backs you're getting, are the ones that are succeeding at reaching their intended destination (the 18th hop in your explanation). That ninny brain is within their right to set things this way, because RFC 792 allows people to set their servers if they want to completely toss out ICMP echo requests altogether, if they so choose. Doing so means troubleshooting connectivity problems is nearly then, impossible.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Read here to understand ttl within tracert:
    http://www.wurd.com/misc_tracert.php

etc...
    Thank you!!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't checked out this thread and hadn't noticed your responses. Actually we found that the problem was in the router. We updated the firmware a couple weeks ago and haven't had any problems since. Weird because we did try bypassing the router and still had the problem. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I'm going to bookmark this thread in case the problem arises again.

:thanks:

Cool. I had an issue earlier this week. Could not connect out.
    I thought my WAP / router is not working well.
    Reset to factory default, reinstalled wireless card, etc

Called the cable company, they said that they had a problem on their side and they fixed it. But it would not work.
    They send a Tech out.

Found out that the coaxial that connects to the cheap modem was faulty. And it was a new cable that was just installed 2 days ago

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread