Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What do you think about Google's AM site drops?
    I was wondering how the merchants and affiliate network managers feel about Google's dropping of affiliate sites? Since affiliates bring in additional sales to you, this has to affect your bottom line. What do you feel about it?
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

Google dropped affiliate sites?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I HATE all anti-affiliate actions!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Since when did Google drop affiliate sites LOL

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Since when did Google drop affiliate sites LOL
    Don't start that sh*t Jack!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    jackson, Darkstar is talking about google's adwords. From what I gather, they didn't drop affiliate sites, but substantially increased the minimum CPC amount, in effect making it next to impossible for affiliates to gain any sort of Return on Investment.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    oh yes I knew about that issue and saw where they were going to be dropping sites permanenetly so that you couldn't even bid.

I guess I didn't word this correctly. Sorry about that. But yes , I am talking about the Adwords price increase. To me it is a flatout force out of affiliates.

In the early days, Google depended on people like us to get its current dominating marketshare. Affiiates put Google's search tool on their sites giving Google access to their visitors. Now adjusting their SERPs to downgrade affiliates for the free search hits, forces affiliates to move to Adwords. Then they jack the rates up in a non-competitive way. Are they charging the large shopping sites $10/ click? Of course not. Would Amazon be the company it is today without affiliates having their links on millions of sites?

My wife who is an ordinary shopper has grown frustrated with Google because she can't find stuff on Google like she used to do. She still wants to use them because she likes the interface but she can't find stuff there. All these changes are creating in a negative user experience for their own users. Is it better? If you are looking for consumer items, do you want to have only large companies to pick from or would it be good to have a few small companies pop to the top too.

I say let it be a free market experience and let John Q Public's opinion and money weed out the weak affiliates. After all that's how it should work.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

15 years and counting
    What do you think about Google's AM site drops? I was wondering how the merchants and affiliate network managers feel about Google's dropping of affiliate sites? Since affiliates bring in additional sales to you, this has to affect your bottom line. What do you feel about it?
    It's an excellent post, darkstar7.
    I like to hear it, too.
    Merchants and OPMs are affected by both, Adwords price increase and Google's dropping of affiliate sites. It's a very important question.
    I know merchants and OPMs don't work with "thin" affiliates but Google is dropping also respected Affiliate Sites.
    A look in the SERPs for keywords related to shopping is frightening.
    Is the traffic brought by comparison sites enough for you? Are you happy like some ABW posters would like us to think.
    It's Monday, Guys, you can't be all in vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    Google dropped affiliate sites?
    Wake up!

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateBuddha
    jackson, Darkstar is talking about google's adwords. From what I gather, they didn't drop affiliate sites, but substantially increased the minimum CPC amount, in effect making it next to impossible for affiliates to gain any sort of Return on Investment.
    they also say that they are going to deindex cookie-cutter affiliate sites that add no value and sites with duplicate content.

The definition of "add no value" is not defined anywhere by them.

The definition of "add no value" is not defined anywhere by them.
    "Add value" means "Offer something better or different than the other 52 million sites that are doing the same thing as you".
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    The definition:

"Add value" means "Offer something better or different than the other 52 million sites that are doing the same thing as you".

Source = NoWires

"Add value" doens't mean make a better product description. "Add value" means give some usefull info and include a product link.

Googs share of search traffic is already huge, and there may not be a lot of room for growth there. So they might look at affiliates getting free organic, or cheap adwords clicks and say hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    I want Google to define what it means by "add value" , after all it's the one who is going to ban sites that don't add value according to what it thinks that doesnt add value.

"Made For Adsense (MFA) Judgement Day

If your website is Made For Adsense (MFA), then it seems like you’ll have things to worry about very soon. Countless bloggers have warned about the inevitable “judgement day” for MFA sites, the latest one I’ve read is from Gaman."
    says this site....

http://gobalakrishnan.com/2006/07/made-for-adsense-mfa/

List of sites that are considered MFA:
    http://www.sabahan.com/2006/06/26/ho...es-make-money/

What's most confusing is this product from Google:
    http://www.google.com/domainpark/

This is why I want Google to define, what it thinks "add no value" means.
    Last edited by best123; July 25th, 2006 at 06:47 AM.

Don't add value for Google. Add value for the visitors. Then, you won't have to worry about Google.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Don't add value for Google. Add value for the visitors. Then, you won't have to worry about Google.
    Well said Michael, that's it - from now on i don't rely on SEs for anything.

ABW Ambassador
    "I want Google to define what it means by "add value" , after all it's the one who is going to ban sites that don't add value according to what it thinks that doesnt add value."

There was a question if the other thread if the site in your profile is yours. If so then that is a site that doesn't add any value.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "I want Google to define what it means by "add value" , after all it's the one who is going to ban sites that don't add value according to what it thinks that doesnt add value."

There was a question if the other thread if the site in your profile is yours. If so then that is a site that doesn't add any value.
    If that site doesn't add value, then do you think this adds value : http://www.google.com/domainpark/ ?

It's the same thang!

ABW Ambassador
    The difference is it's their site And they're also now your competition since they do coupons.

The difference is it's their site And they're also now your competition since they do coupons.
    There was cookie-cutter affiliate sites and then there was cookie-cutter non-affiliate sites.

Hey if you I can't fight them, I'll join them , but not immediately - I will take my own sweet time.

ABW Ambassador
    The difference is Google can ban you from their index but they're not going to ban themselves and you're not going to ban them from their own index. And they site you have now, isn't going to make it any index. What you have right now is a waste of time. But you can do something about it if you want.

The difference is Google can ban you from their index but they're not going to ban themselves and you're not going to ban them from their own index. And they site you have now, isn't going to make it any index. What you have right now is a waste of time. But you can do something about it if you want.
    Yes, it's never too late. I now succumb to almighty google..
    Last edited by best123; July 25th, 2006 at 04:09 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast