Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Remote Cart Experiment - Update
    Just a quick note to let everyone know I have secured the agreement of a UK based gift merchant to conduct a remote cart test whereby we shall have a cart displaying their products and integrate our payment system into theirs so that the customer is none the wiser and Google can't tell the difference between an affiliate with a shopping cart and the genuine merchant.

This has now attracted the interest of a leading Hong Kong home entertainments merchant and we shall be doing something similar with them later.

This is our response to Google hitting affiliate websites with ridiculous PPC demands.

Latest Update
    Just to keep everyone updated:

We have successfully got a basic cart working using the Woolworths datafeed (250,000 products) whereby each product is individually listed so a customer may use our cart and when they have finished buying then proceed to cart payment via the merchant without realising they have left our site. We have also done this with a few other merchants.

We have also integrated the script into an automatic feed updater which works with all networks and feeds and we can now build carts for shopping portals.

We still have work to do with cart category mapping but a UK based network has now contacted us to request participation as they want to roll this out to all affiliates as an option.

Basically we have found a way using csv feeds to take a feed from a network, neutralise the affiliate links without having to remove them so they still track but search engines no longer detect them as they are held in an online non public database, install a shopping cart for that feed, so that the website looks like any other merchant AND still process all payments via the networks, through the merchant.

We've got this operating on two networks to date which have over 15,000 merchants between them.

Another month and we should have category mapping resolved (each network is different) so that products appear in the correct section of the website's cart.

We shall then be testing this live with the public and if all goes well we shall be offering the script for a nominal fee to affiliates and a revenue share with networks as they can market it direct to affiliates to use on their own networks.

Oh I almost forgot.....The cart feed script we use is integrated into an auto update script so that multiple domains (providing they are on the same server) are automatically updated simultanaeously so now no matter how many shopping carts you create using the software you can update every last one instantly at the click of a button.

I love this idea John. For what it's worth (still new to the biz), if it allows me to build sites that seem more like merchant sites, rather than the usual affiliate site, then I'm excited to see the final product.

Keep us updated!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I love this idea John. For what it's worth (still new to the biz), if it allows me to build sites that seem more like merchant sites, rather than the usual affiliate site, then I'm excited to see the final product.

Keep us updated!
    I'll be delighted to. In the meantime if anyone can assist with category mapping (my techie has a few queries) then those assisting get a free copy when completed.

We'll be rolling it out soon for a modest fee to cover the costs I have incurred to create it.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Best you get some legal advice as to full disclosure guidelines to the shoppers. Too much happening on the Phishing Front to willy nilly pose as a merchants without real restrictions. Then too comes the duplicate content factor of having 10,000 similar template sites out there. Feed repeat if every thing could be customered like with the Miva.com package.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Best you get some legal advice as to full disclosure guidelines to the shoppers. Too much happening on the Phishing Front to willy nilly pose as a merchants without real restrictions. Then too comes the duplicate content factor of having 10,000 similar template sites out there. Feed repeat if every thing could be customered like with the Miva.com package.

Sorry but some of that's very ill thought out and insulting on national grounds as an Englishman's word is still his bond where I come from.

1 No data on customers is held as the customer is transferred to the payment processing of the merchant and the information is not conducted on the affiliate site at all. So comments about phishing are not wholesome. Full Disclosure? Pah. There's nothing to disclose or do you splash AFFILIATE across every website you operate? (just as a matter of interest I DO splash AFFILIATE or ADVERTISER on some sites but I will not be for much longer) That's just plain ridiculous but if you want to add reams of statements then feel free to go right ahead as some like to over your side of the Pond where a simple standard disclaimer (for postage and shipping and payment instruction) is sufficient. It's easy enough to write a text line stating you shall now be taken to a remote payment checkout (and we do this already) where you are required to submit details (anyone without an Internet Merchant Account transfers to a payment provider already so that is already a data transfer). Duplicate Content? No. It's a script not a website. So OsCommerce, Zen etc are guilty of duplicate content because they supply identical basic shopping carts script? People customise them. You get the software to create a cart and integrate into a merchants payment system and their feed and auto update. How you lay your site out is up to you.

I fortunately don't need legal advice as I qualified as a legal eagle in commerce and industrial law some time back. As I'm offering the software it's up to the individual using the software to decide if they want legal advice (don't know why but that's personal choice). My legal rates for affiliates who jump at their own shadow start at 180 ($300) an hour.

I'll be knocking out the software for around 40 ($70) when completed

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread